Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2011, 06:52 AM   #1
GPW

Dry Fit Windows ???

Gentlemen, for some reason , unknown to me , Jayco decided to install a dry fit window in the front of my FS 197 TT ... All the other windows are sealed , this one of course is leaking and the source of de-lamination on my front cap ..... Jayco denied any problems with these Have to fix it myself ... Do I just unscrew the window and replace the seals with a butyl rubber seal ?? Going to reach in and glue and clamp the de-lam while I'm at it ...
any of you guys ever done that before ??? Any tips or hints would be much appreciated !!!
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2011, 08:51 AM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm surprised Jayco installed only one dry fit window instead of on all the windows unless you have a used TT and the previous owner resealed all but the one window or Jayco replaced the original window with a later model one. For the past couple of years or so, Jayco has been using the dry fit windows. Over on the Jayco Owners forums, many have reported problems with those windows, sometimes during the first year, and all recommend resealing all the windows with butyl tape whether they appear to need it or not.

Typically, RV manufacturers exclude damage from water leaks from their warranties and make it the owner's responsibility to find and reseal leaks as needed.

If the delamination isn't too bad, you may be able to reglue it. I would suggest a contact cement applied to both surfaces (if you can get in there to do each surface) so you won't have to fight with clamping. Just make sure you use an adhesive that won't eat at the foam insulation.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
GPW

Thanks LF !!! Mine didn't show up until after warranty (naturally) ...nobody mentioned it , so I thought it must be OK. Jayco said take it to the dealer , they couldn't help in any way ... Dealer wanted to replace the whole front cap for yet another 5K (What a Greedy Idiot) ... can't do that ! I'll just get the rubber and re-seal it and try to glue that plastic back together ... There's actually No foam under the outer skin and it's mostly un supported underneath, except for the piece it delaminated from .. Pretty basic construction under the guise of Light Weight... no wood wasted there...

This trailer was bought supposedly new ... in 2007 , many little problems cropping up due to poor construction/design ...
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote