Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #15
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal
Have used to dryer sheet method for years and haven't had a little critter yet. I distribute them throughout the basement compartments then scatter a few in the coach. "THEN I SIT AND WAIT" Nah, just kidding.
And you wonder why your clothes aren't soft. LOL

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
And you wonder why your clothes aren't soft. LOL

AHHHH! So that's the problem. Thanks I'll make some adjustments.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #17

This is a Re post to help OP with chipmunks and may help others with pests..
One idea (not mine) that I've tried with success (4 years running) is to start by:
1-Checking all entry points under my trailer IE: Gas lines, elec, waste pipes etc. 2-Purchace a roll of 1/8 inch mesh, Zinc coated (heavy duty) screen type material, (hardware store).
3-Cut with a tin snips into 2 inch by 12 inch strips (like a ribbon).
4-Find 1/2 inch self tapping screws also at the hardware store, and small flat washers. Now the easy part,
5-Start from front to back and look under you camper, look for the aforementioned lines, pipes, hoses etc..
6-Take the ribbon of mesh screen and wrap it around the line like you are wrapping a finger with a band-aid, leave part of the mesh against the floor and part against the line, wrap around until the mesh ribbon has gone around at least twice.
7-Now while holding pressure on the mesh against the floor with one hand, run a washer-ed screw through the mesh and into the camper sub floor, remember, to hold the mesh tight against the floor.
8-Continue wrapping all areas under the camper. The mesh screen is very form able to odd shapes and will hold tight, and it will remain rust free with its Zinc coating.
9- Purchase Ajax or Comet Powder Cleanser (with bleach) and sprinkle around the tires, jack stands and tongue jack. Mice cannot stand the nose burn of bleach and will keep away from the smell of the bleach, and they will not get used to the smell. Mice travel with their nose and sense of smell and follow trails of (urine) left behind from the mice that broke the trail and entered your campers. A light sprinkle is all that's needed. Repeat applications as needed following rain events etc. It's cheap and goes a long way. It has multiple uses too, keeps the farm dog from re leaving himself on my camper tires, must burn his nose too.
10- Now set your traps inside and catch what (unwanted guests) mice that are remaining..
NOTE: No new mice will enter due to the wire mesh and due to the cleanser (with bleach) burning their noses.

Another trick for bugs, spiders,hornets, Yellow jackets, mud daubers etc. is to buy a dog flee collar, (the ones that look like jell), and cut each collar into 2 equal lengths. Place one length behind the fridge (outer) access panel, water heater outside access panel, furnace, etc.. Those creepy crawlers will not care to take residency anywhere near that smell and will keep those areas (bug) pest free for up to 3 months. hope this helps some of you with the mice and/or bug problems. My 2 cents........ RR.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #18
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The ONLY things I found that worked (our RV was parked on our property out in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by woods, marsh and other 'critter friendly' environments) were moth balls and these... Fresh Cab. I used the moth balls in the storage compartments and the Fresh Cab in the living areas, under the furniture, in cabinets and the like. The moth balls have always worked, but the smell will take half the season to dissipate, the Fresh Cab has a very pleasant smell to it, but is much more expensive, which is why I didn't just use it everywhere. The year I switched to the moth ball / Fresh Cab combination is the first where I had zero mice, or any sign of them.

I tried the dryer sheets once. They made the little critters very soft nests. I also used peppermint oil soaked cotton balls and those seemed to work too.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Wow! You guys are tough!
How do you get the bobcat or the fox to pee in the bottle?
who does the milkin'.

Do not use moth balls. They are poisonous to humans and animals.
Besides, moths don't grow them big enough.

I ordered from the company and let them do all the work. I figured if a dealer says it works I'll give it a try since he has many Rv's on his lot and many are parked on dirt and grass. I live in New Hampshire and I hope it works since we have many chipmunks and mice!
Old 03-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
The ONLY things I found that worked (our RV was parked on our property out in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by woods, marsh and other 'critter friendly' environments) were moth balls and these... Fresh Cab. I used the moth balls in the storage compartments and the Fresh Cab in the living areas, under the furniture, in cabinets and the like. The moth balls have always worked, but the smell will take half the season to dissipate, the Fresh Cab has a very pleasant smell to it, but is much more expensive, which is why I didn't just use it everywhere. The year I switched to the moth ball / Fresh Cab combination is the first where I had zero mice, or any sign of them.

I tried the dryer sheets once. They made the little critters very soft nests. I also used peppermint oil soaked cotton balls and those seemed to work too.
so on the Fresh cab I see they come in small bags so do you cut open bags or do they give you little containers to put it in?
Old 03-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #21

Commercial Member

Monaco Owners Club
We started using FRESH CAB also, last year. We were getting a mouse a day inside - horrible!! We had tried all the usual stuff, to no avail. Fresh Cab is awesome and works very well - haven't had one since we started using it. Good hardware stores have it. Comes four bags to a box. We just put the sealed bags outside, behind the wheels, to keep the bags dry. We change them out every month - awesome Product!!
Downsizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I have a cat... I have no mice...

Old 03-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
I have a cat... I have no mice...

How does it like living in the MH while you have it stored? Does it empty its own litter box?

It would be nice to have a few outside cats around, I just don't think they would get along with my two Jacks
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In florida we got critters yet unnamed. We bought those soap boxes with vents and cut Irish spring and put on in each bay. also put one behind or underneath every drawer & in closets. Plus we use plastic salt & pepper shakers and put moth balls in them, one to each bay. Last we use those HART Flea and tick collars for pets. Buy the large ones, cut into 3 peices and put one piece in each bay. We don't have ants, roachs, palmetto bugs (relly big assed roaches), mice or any other critters. Once a year we change out each container and replace with new ones. Don't know which one really works but in combination they work for us.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Wonder if a bar of Fels-Naphta soap would work as well as moth balls... then y ou could use it when you change it out.... works to repel bugs off of plants when grated into a water solution.....
Naphthalene would be the ingredient common to both.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:13 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
How does it like living in the MH while you have it stored? Does it empty its own litter box?

It would be nice to have a few outside cats around, I just don't think they would get along with my two Jacks
Outdoor cat I let into the MH when its really cold (below 10F).

Those Jacks are good mousers...
Old 03-29-2012, 08:19 AM   #27
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbnh View Post
so on the Fresh cab I see they come in small bags so do you cut open bags or do they give you little containers to put it in?
It comes is small mesh bags. You just distribute those bags around. Changing once per month, I think, is excessive. If I remember correctly I think the company says they should last at least three. I never changed mine out in over 4 months.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #28

We are seasonal campers and leave our trailer on site all Winter. This Fall when closing I used at least 60-75 dryer sheets throughout the trailer. Checked on the trailer about 3 weeks ago and the little critters have been everywhere, including leaving droppings right on the dryer sheets. FAIL! We have now purchesed a product called Fresh Cab Fresh Cab All Natural Rodent Repellent, Control Mice Fast, Safe | Earth-kind.com and distributed that. We'll see in another week or so when we open up wether or not this works.