Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #1

DTV signal finders

I want to get a digital TV signal finder. Winegard has the SensarPro and there is the King Controls SureLock.

With the SensarPro, you take out the original amplifier on the ceiling and replace it with the SensarPro. It has a nice digital readout for the signal strength plus some other nice features. The problem is that the antenna is in another room and not within line of sight. As well, the signal indication would be on the ceiling and hard to read. Seems like it would need two people unless you want to keep walking back and forth. Technically, I like this one better.

With the SureLock, it gets wired in between the TV and amplifier on the ceiling. This one is surface mounted. It could be mounted at the 2nd TV in the bedroom so you can rotate the antenna and see the display. It's rather basic and just has 4 LEDs for signal strength indication. Operationally, this one would work better.

What have others used and how are they working? Does the SureLock work good enough?

As a side note, why one earth do RV manufacturers mount the TV amplifier on the ceiling behind the TV where you can barely reach it?? And when the TV is pulled out on the articulating mount, it gets even harder to reach. In our TT, if they had mounted it 18" farther to one side, it would be very easy to access. If we put the SensarPro in there, you wouldn't be able to see the readout...
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First, there is no amplifier inside your coach YET. the amplifier is inside the ANTENNA. what you "Take out" to install the Sensar Pro is the amplifier POWER SUPPLY.

Oh, and the Sensar Pro DOES have an amplifier built into it as well as teh one on the roof, the two of 'em are designed to work well together and do a very good job.

Now.. How do you read the display if the handle to turn the antenna is in a different room?

Two ways. But the easiest is the last menu option on the Sensar pro... VOLUME.. yes, VOLUME... You have heard folks aiming their sat antennas

Beep........ Beep.... Beep, beep beep

Same thing. Do not know if it is frequency of beep, Tone or volume though since I have never actually used it on mine.

(In my case the display is about a foot from the crank)

I can tell you it was the single best improvement I made reception wise.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oh, additional thought....

Many TV's have a signal strength meter, as do most Digital converters.. However this can be a pain in the anatomy because you need to know what channel to monitor and that may require you do a scan.

For example.. On my primary converter (The one I can watch while turning antenna) I can enter a broadcast channel (NOT the one on the TV screen) directly in the menu, say 21 (Channel 20 detroit) or 12 (Channel 12 Flint) and watch the green bar, Same exactly as a Dish Network receiver (Same remote in fact as a VIP-211K)

On the TV in the rear and it's converter. THings are a bit different but basically the same process, different menu path

But on the TELEVISION (The rear TV is ATSC) I have to scan then choose signal strength.

I like the Sensar Pro better, plus it responds faster.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #4

I mounted a SureLock on the bedroom TV. While it is a basic unit, it works well for me.
I moved the amp switch to the side using surface wiring and box. Now I can just reach it. Before, I couldn't even poke it with a stick.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #5

Bought the Kings digital finder when I bought their Jack antenna. The pile od crap Sensar thing the triler came with was pathetic!
rewindguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #6

I use TVantana free apps.

It can list all the channels available and a compass location.

I just lay phone flat and aim the Jack aerial to direction where indicated. Mostly groups of stations observed so far.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
I use TVantana free apps.

It can list all the channels available and a compass location.

I just lay phone flat and aim the Jack aerial to direction where indicated. Mostly groups of stations observed so far.
Trouble is that cell service is required and the signal may be blocked by hills.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote