Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2018, 12:19 PM   #1

Dual Fuel Inverter Generator or just gas???

This will be my first generator. Want to be able to have it run all night for a 15k a/c TT. Would you guys recommend dual fuel or go with a second feed type gas tank system?

The TT has 2x30# propane. Not looking to boondock for more than an overnight in a Walmart parking lot. At this point I don't have any BLM land around Cincinnati and just want an option for a/c in the Summer.

Do like the concept of dual fuel but in reality the Champion 4000 watt inverter on Amazon for $589 could sit in the truck bed and run all night on gas.

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-4000...ator+dual+fuel

Thoughts?
osugasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2018, 04:37 PM   #2

There's been several threads on here about the pros and cons of propane as a generator fuel so it really boils down to personal preference. If for whatever reason the generator doesn't run well on propane you have the option to run on gas.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:27 PM   #3

There are what's called an extended stay tank.......Google it...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:29 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Gas lasts longer and is easier to get.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:34 PM   #5

For what you want, gas. As was said, easier and probably cheaper to get. If you are going to be somewhere with an extended stay then a large propane tank and a propane generator makes sense. For occasional use gasoline is a lot easier.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:44 AM   #6

Thanks everyone for the great input.

Noise probably isn't a problem in a Walmart parking lot, right? When we boondocked for a single night in one last summer, the 18 wheelers were running their very loud non inverted generators. Guess it is what it is.

-Brian
Old 05-17-2018, 06:54 AM   #7

We chose a propane generator since my truck is diesel and carrying fresh gas would just be another thing to deal with. Whereas, we always have propane available on our FW. For noise levels, try to get a model that runs in the low 50 db. I believe a Honda 3000iu is the quietest.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:54 AM   #8

gas is much easier, and since you're not really 'dry camping' other than for simple overnights, keep it simple with a gas unit. carry a 5gal jug of fuel if you're concerned.

enjoy!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:26 AM   #9

I'm not a fan of the open frame generators at all, but won't lecture. I promise!

What I will do is share that you can buy gas fueled generators with remote start/stop. You can't do that with dual fuel. We have a Champ 3400 inverter generator that we keep secured in the back of the pickup. The remote start makes it a great option. Wife loves that she can shower in the morning, start the generator, and blow dry her hair. We are in our second year with this generator and we're still quite infatuated with it.
billyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:50 PM   #10

billyW,

Great tip!! Thanks. Brian
Old 05-17-2018, 01:02 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here is a thread with a lot of info that should answer your question if you take the time to read all the posts.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/anoth...on-384348.html
Old 05-22-2018, 12:24 PM   #12

I will say that I have thought about the dual fuel champion, but after a terrible rainy, nasty, cold elk season last year I went with the remote start. We full time and boondock primarily so a generator is essential. We do not regret this purchase, in fact it is probably one of my best ones yet, if asking my Darling, she says I am not as cold and wet when I climb back in bed waiting for coffee to brew.

The remote start because I am tired of cold wet mornings and wanting to make coffee. The gas instead of dual because with the propane they don't sell remote start. You can the buy a kit to make the champion remote use both fuels but you can't remote shut it off. It has never became an issue in six months using only gas. Unloading and loading when setting up, why mess with a propane bottle if you have gas in it.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, gas, generator, inverter