Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2005, 06:21 PM   #15

Hey I know this has been gone over and over again but could some one how to take the numbers and figure out what you can and what you can't tow safely. I know there are calculations you use but this time I want to print it out and do the math to see how far out I am.

Black 1997 F250 H/D 4X4
markclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2005, 01:21 AM   #16

http://www.klenger.net/arctic-fox/weight/index.html Try this link mark

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 08:22 AM   #17

Thanks very much. This is exactly what I need.

Black 1997 F250 H/D 4X4
Old 10-17-2005, 05:21 PM   #18

Just to add another experience to this subject...
The wife and I were at the North Atlanta Camper Show this past weekend and came across a nice Teton. I know that the Teton is way out of our range in price, needs and everything. But, we didn't want to be biased, so we looked at that one too. I went in behind my wife and two young salemen were sitting in the seating area talking about football or something like that. I walked over to the cabinet by the sink and looked at the manufacturers weight sticker. I think it was 18500 on the GVWR, or real close to that. Anyway, one of the salesmen said something and I said "Yea, it is nice, but it would take an MDT to tow it." He agreed, but the other "know all be all" replied, nah, the F250 diesel can tow 19200. "And that is not even the dually". My reply was "Yea, right, not without being over weight something seriously!" He then proceeded to tell me I didn't know what I was talking about and the Chevy and the Ford could pull any fifth wheel made. I laughed openly at him and walked out.
Then, outside, I met up with an older gentleman that just somehow caught our attention. I explained what we were looking for and told him about the situation previously. His remark was that some of these new salesmen don't have much experience with campers. He was very knowlegeable and honest in everything he told me and was just a delight to talk to. We talked for about an hour about horses and cattle and everything else.

Just remember, not all are bad. Just most of them
Chris

03 Tahoe 20 TB
Eng208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 08:24 PM   #19

Yah Last week they were selling shoes. The problem I have is I know I am over weight. I just nee to know how far. I have a 03 Cardinal 31LE wich I think is 12,3** and I am pulling it with a 1997 F250 H/D. That weighes 6900 on the scales buy it self. I put a chip in it, bought it with a trailer packedge (Just little heaver suspention in the rear and a tranny cooler)460ci Gas motor. 410 rear. Reese 15K hitch. New adjustable Rancho shock all around. Off road package wich is just some skid plate and larger brakes. This is great but over weight is over weight.

Black 1997 F250 H/D 4X4
Old 10-18-2005, 07:55 AM   #20

What you should be most concerned with is your GVWR being exceeded. Hook up to your unit, drive to the scales and pull on just your truck, unless it is a scale with individual axle weights. With just your truck on the scale, it will show what your Tow vehicle weight is. This number technically should not be higher than the GVWR on your door sticker. If it is, then it is a choice that YOU have to make whether you do something about it. The consequences of not doing anything are, at the extreme, if you are involved in an accident and the opposing insurance company gets the idea that you are overweight, then weighs everything and confirms it. Then they may go after you in a civil lawsuit. That is really the worst case. At this time, I don't know of any states that require recreational vehicles to go through weigh stations on the side of the road. This will probably change in the future, but realize that the rv industry and its lobbyists are actively against this. If it occurs, there will be many, many rvers overweight strictly on GVWR of the tow vehicle, most of them have no idea about being overweight. They tow safely and comfortably down the road. In real life though, modern trucks weigh so much with their options, extended or crew cabs, gear and personnel, that it leaves very little for hitch pin weight before the GVWR is exceeded.
I think that the tow vehicle GVWR is probably the only one that will ever be potentially a legal weight. All others are just too variable to be looked at by officials. Unfortunately, that is also the hardest one to abide by.
Chris

03 Tahoe 20 TB
Eng208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 11:30 AM   #21

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Well like that guy WWFan said earlier in this thread, I have an opposite sort of story to tell.
( although my 'good' dealer was also a toyhauler dealer, same as WWFan's )

I had two dealers give me the 'no way' when i first starting shopping trailers years ago. Two different dealers.

I at that time had a F150, but i wasn't shopping a big heavy trailer, just something that would give us a wee bit of comfort. One dealer didn't like the manual tranny I had, said it cut down my towing margin too much, told me to trade my truck in first.

So there are good dealers out there, i guess i was kinda lucky to have run into two of them before i got fully RV educated.

Sad thing is, i never ended up getting a trailer from either of those two guys, bought all three of mine elsewhere.
In retrospect, those dealers were the 'goodguys', and I ... well, .. i don't know what I was.

FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote