Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2005, 10:27 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yesterday I was in Tulsa at a rather large RV dealer (SUper Store) to pick up some clearance light lenses for my trailer and went out on the lot to look at some trialers. Thankfully, they were busy, so we got to look without the pesty salesman.

What really got me was they were delivering and hooking up a new trailer for a customer. They had a 30' TT hooked to a Mercury Mountaineer (Explorer equivalent). Tt did have a plain WD hitch which was hooked up faily level, but no sway control. I was ready to go ask a few questions, but my wife dragged me away with out a word. The way the wind was blowing here, I hope thay made it home.

As we went out the front door, they were delivering another trailer on the service drive. It was a 35' 5th wheel and it was hitched to a 6.0L gas, 3/4 ton Chevy crew cab. Had Mom and the 3 kids milling around. My wife shoved me in the truck and said to just be quiet and go.

I think the delaers have lost what little sense they had, which was next to none to begin with. I wanted so much to say something....

Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2005, 10:27 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yesterday I was in Tulsa at a rather large RV dealer (SUper Store) to pick up some clearance light lenses for my trailer and went out on the lot to look at some trialers. Thankfully, they were busy, so we got to look without the pesty salesman.

What really got me was they were delivering and hooking up a new trailer for a customer. They had a 30' TT hooked to a Mercury Mountaineer (Explorer equivalent). Tt did have a plain WD hitch which was hooked up faily level, but no sway control. I was ready to go ask a few questions, but my wife dragged me away with out a word. The way the wind was blowing here, I hope thay made it home.

As we went out the front door, they were delivering another trailer on the service drive. It was a 35' 5th wheel and it was hitched to a 6.0L gas, 3/4 ton Chevy crew cab. Had Mom and the 3 kids milling around. My wife shoved me in the truck and said to just be quiet and go.

I think the delaers have lost what little sense they had, which was next to none to begin with. I wanted so much to say something....

Ken

Old 06-12-2005, 03:32 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

That kind of stuff makes ya wonder how some of them can sleep at night. KNOWING they have overloaded the tow vehicle and created a wreck waiting to happen.

We have lost sales due to being HONEST about folks tow set-ups.

Oh well........ We are able to sleep at night without having to worry if the folks made it home......

But most folks appreciate the concern and honesty.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:03 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don, the honest dealers and sales people are way too rare. When I was in sales, I walked away from some projects because I knew it was trouble and I wanted to be know for selling equipment that worked.

Ken
Old 06-13-2005, 04:13 AM   #5

After meeting some folks that work in dealerships, I'm not sure if they even know they sell units that do not match thier customers TV.

On the other hand, it really is the responsibility of the driver of that vehicle to know it's limits, AND, I've seen alot of folks who are buying a bigger rig now, with the hopes and dreams of upgrading to the big bad tow vehicle some day.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:26 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
charliez

How right you are. I was told by a dealer once that if I got an F-250 I could pull any 5er on his lot. I guess since he didn't say "safely tow" he wasn't lying. but you are right. I've ran accross many who, I don't think, know.

Heck I ran into a factory rep telling someone that a he could pull a 32' 5er with a Dodge Dakota. Like TXiceman, my wife pulled me away just as I was opening my mouth.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:31 AM   #7
CD

K-Star
Several years ago I saw a video of a 3/4T PU towing a 747. It actually moved it but I'm sure he couldn't get it to follow him or stop it.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 05:36 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was with my brother who has a 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins, quad cab, long bed with a 5 speed manual as he was looking a trailers a while back. As soon as the salesman saw the "BIG diesel" the first words out of his mounth were "you can pull any 5er we have on the lot". Since the wives were not around and my brother likes to see how deep of a whole they will dig, he ask him to show him the biggest trailer he had that he could pull and be within the trucks ratings. He lead us over to a Jayco Designer 3610. Not exactly a light weight trailer.

My brother proceeded to tell him of exactly what he was full of and the fellow went off to get the manager. Same story fom the manager and told my brother he didn't know you know what from what. Really a professional approach. Not to be up staged, my brother stood in the middle of the parking lot and told any one in ear shot that this dealer was dangerous and would get someone killed if they listened to them.

He said fun was over and we got in his truck and drove off with everyone looking at the salesman and manager in disbelief.

You can have so much more fun without the wife around to keep you within sensible limits.

Ken
Old 06-13-2005, 06:09 PM   #9

I have learned, thru several trips to diffrent dealers, if you want to spend some time looking and talking to DW about things, drive her car to the dealership. When I'm in a hurry, and need to take care of something and get out, I drive my truck. Seems the sound of a rattly deisel brings them out of the cracks. Honda's don't get much attention when pulling on the the bigger fancier lots.

One thing to remember, that 3/4 may pull everything there, but for how long. You can find out who knows what real fast by asking them to show you the numbers like GVWR.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:17 PM   #10

I have walked out of a dealers lot due to poor understanding of the relationship between truth and purchasing. I like to deal with sales staff who have a deep understanding of the tow vehicel as well as the TT. So far, I have only found one dealer who can meet my demands, and it is a family business, two brothers who take very good care of the customers. Fortunatly, they also sell TT's the CW and I prefer. Regarding the concept of getting the big trailer then working up to the big TV, we did it by purchasing a large Tow Vehicle (see signature line) to pull our TT with, the idea is to purchase a large 5'er in a couple more years, in anticipation of retirement!
Enjoy the Road!

2004 Dodge Cummins Diesel H.O., Dually, 4-dr. long box, 6WD.
bobnkathleen hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 12:41 AM   #11

hi everyone:

GiantRV made me sign a statement that my TV had a minimum of 1,000 lb "buffer" GCWR before I could take my TH off the lot...I was about 200 lbs from it when I did, and now have a dually. It made me wonder for the longest time whether of not I was going to be able to take it home- even had my friend waiting on the sidelines in case I needed to call him for his rig..

Sean
Old 06-16-2005, 02:02 PM   #12

The son of a friend of ours got a job selling RV's for a local (nationally known) RV dealer. His job was selling motor homes. I asked him how he could sell a motor home when he had never driven one much less camped in one. I found out from him that most of the sales people in that dealership had never camped in a TT, FW, or MH ever! Is it any wonder that they don't know anything about them.

I know that my salesman camps on a regualar basis. There is nothing like "real" knowledge!

Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 03:46 AM   #13

Good morning!

Oh boy, can I tell all of YOU about salespeople! I have been the one to do the searching for our units-as a stay at home Mom, I've have a bit more time during the day to do that. I've made sure I understand about the towing issues after a salesman convinced me to down grade my 3/4 van for a 1/2 ton. It was a horrible white knuckle experience towing our pop-up with it! Never again will I be taken advantage of-I learned all I could from the nice people here over the last few years!

One of my pet peeves is that salespeople don't listen at all. No matter how specific you tell them what you want-they try and show you something that A-you can't tow, B-way out of your price, C-a model that isn't even what you wanted. And if one more tells me "bring your husband in and we'll talk", he's going to end up with a sore instep.

It's about the buyer having the knowledge going into it. Know your weight limits, what specific features you want in a unit, have the price in mind you'll pay, negotiate everything and find out what the units are price wise before you go there. And I NEVER buy right on the spot, I wait a day or so-better to keep that salesperson on their toes when I come back if they truly want to deal.

Nell

2002 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 quad cab
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 05:07 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nell:
Good morning!

Oh boy, can I tell all of YOU about salespeople! I have been the one to do the searching for our units-as a stay at home Mom, I've have a bit more time during the day to do that.

Nell </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm a stay at home mom too, and did all my research online before we bought. Joined this wonderful group and learned so much!! Then educated hubby on how much we could tow, and off we went! I was lucky in that I never came across a salesman who treated me poorly, or didn't listen to what I said about my TV's limits. We did have a very bad experience with our original purchase of a used TT, but the salesman (the original salesman-the manager) was so great in fixing the disaster, we bought a new one from him. I'll definately go back to him!

1999 Chevy Tahoe K1500 350 w/3:73 gear ratio
AnneW is offline   Reply With Quote