Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-18-2016, 09:35 AM   #15
Find a local farmer that wants to make a few bucks.

My 20 HP garden tractor has brakes rated to tow 350 lb. It would move the trailer, but it might be a lot of fun on a hillside.

lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2016, 09:53 AM   #16
For the OP's situation, a tractor isn't needed. My solution would take two 2x4's, a wheel for the tongue jack, and a length of chain or strong rope at least 10' long. Park the trailer as close as possible, pointing as much as possible in the right direction. Use one 2x4 to brace between the trailer hitch on the truck and the hitch on the back of the trailer and push it in. The second 2x4 is used as a lever between the ground and tongue of the trailer to steer the nose wheel. Keeping the tongue as low as possible on the wheel will maximize your leverage. The chain goes between the two trailer hitches as safety so that the trailer doesn't roll away if the lot isn't perfectly flat. The chain is also used to drag the trailer back out if necessary for re-positioning or removing from the lot.

I've down this to push an non-running car into a garage up a hill, and to push a concrete sidewalk slab back into place with my truck when the tractor couldn't move it. I've used tractors in the past, but for longer moves.

cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:59 AM   #17
Did you check with the campground office, that may be able to place it.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:07 AM   #18
Originally Posted by Larry37 View Post
I just purchased my first travel trailer. My family leased a lot to park it on at our "mini-vacation" spot. Problem is the lot is laid out backwards. The picnic table, grill area and landing is all on the wrong side if I back the trailer into the lot. We'd like the front door and awning of the camper to face the picnic area.

My dumb question is, once at the location, could I unhook from the camper and pull around and hook my truck up to the rear hitch on the camper and back the camper into the lot backwards? i.e. The tongue of the camper would be at the back of the lot.

Is this possible?
We sometimes do that with the MH when the view we want demands it. Requires longer cords, hoses, etc.
Shell Bleiweiss
2014 1/2 Thor Challenger 37KT
Sedona, AZ
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:13 AM   #19
Thanks everyone. I think I am going to purchase a Trailer Valet XL. For $600, it's probably not the cheapest solution, but it seems like a convenient tool to have anyways. Will come in handy getting the camper tucked into the back corner of my shop in the winter, too.

Thanks for all the really good ideas and feedback.
Larry37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:41 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club

HERE is another method for moving a trailer or parking it in any location. The Easi-Move product attaches to the trailer and you maneuver it via remote control.

Not sure how expensive it is or what the weight of your trailer but thought it may be a useful option.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:40 PM   #21
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two questions: First can you swap the spot you park and the table (If the site is full hookup the answer is NO, there may be other NOS's as well)

Second what is at the rear of the site.. IF there is a tree, or a good tree analog then try this.

Front jacks come in two flavors. Wheeled and flat foot. You need a wheeled type.

Lay a plank (Wide plank) on the ground and let the jack down on it (NOTE. not needed if pad is concrete) use a winch (battery operated) and Winch the trailer toward the tree.

Getting it out is a bit tricky but basically you pass the winch cable under the trailer and pull it back with the truck, then hook up.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:03 PM   #22
Ford Super Duty Owner
any pictures of the site?
Trashman 1998 winnebago adventurer 33ft. f 53 460 7.5 16in. Wheels. 2005 Harley Davidson duece
trashman1995 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:21 PM   #23
Excel Owners Club
I think many of the ideas above will work for you just fine. But this does remind me of a video where someone put a trailer hitch on the rear of a 5th wheeler and towed it backwards on the highway with a SUV, quite a sight.
Fred & Denise
Santa Fe, NM
2007 Excel Classic 30RSO 2007 RAM 3500, Diesel, 6Spd Auto, SWD, 4x4, CC & LB
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:44 PM   #24
Site was set up for MHs........pull straight in, utilities on left side, step out of MH door on right side to picnic table etc.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:38 AM   #25
Dr4Film, thanks. That does look like a cool product. If I was going to move the trailer frequently that would probably be a really good option. I'm guessing it is pricier than I want to spend though for this purpose and installation probably isn't the easiest.

trashman1995, no I don't have any pictures unfortunately. The drive to the lot is paved. The lot itself is concrete. To the right of the lot is where the picnic table, grill, campfire spot, etc is located. To the left of the lot are trees. Behind the lot is a drop off for a pretty steep hill.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:31 PM   #26
Ford Super Duty Owner
Larry37, thank you for describing the site.👍
Trashman 1998 winnebago adventurer 33ft. f 53 460 7.5 16in. Wheels. 2005 Harley Davidson duece
trashman1995 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:53 PM   #27
Heres another dumb, newby question. We bought a new 2016 Thor Freedom Elite last year. We live in Texas with no state income taxes. Getting ready to work on 2015 tax return and read that we can claim the sales taxes we paid when we bought the RV. Also read I can only claim the sales taxes on the first $49000 of the RV purchase pric even though the RV cost $75000. Anyone know what the right answer is???? Help, the more I read the less I know!!
What one time and continuing tax deductions can be taken besides the interest on the loan??
Thanks for anyones help!!!
debpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:24 AM   #28
I'll start with a disclaimer that you should always consult with a tax professional ����

But in short, IF you itemize via Schedule A (i.e. you are not just using the Standard Deduction), you are allowed to deduct EITHER state and local income taxes OR sales taxes paid. Since only one of those is applicable to you, the choice is easy. If you are like most people, you did not keep all your receipts throughout the year to know exactly what you paid in sales taxes. The IRS has a sales tax calculator that you can use for a sales tax estimate on your "regular" daily purchases, and you can obviously also factor in the large sales tax bills for items such as your RV.

Regarding a $49,000 cap, what you're probably looking at is the legislation from 2009 when the federal government tried to boost economic activity by allowing an additional deduction. In that year, tax payers could choose to deduct their income taxes plus sales tax on any new vehicle up to $49,000.