Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2016, 08:39 AM   #1

Dumb question

I just purchased my first travel trailer. My family leased a lot to park it on at our "mini-vacation" spot. Problem is the lot is laid out backwards. The picnic table, grill area and landing is all on the wrong side if I back the trailer into the lot. We'd like the front door and awning of the camper to face the picnic area.

My dumb question is, once at the location, could I unhook from the camper and pull around and hook my truck up to the rear hitch on the camper and back the camper into the lot backwards? i.e. The tongue of the camper would be at the back of the lot.

Is this possible?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2016, 09:12 AM   #2

did someone say you couldn't do that, if not go ahead.

Jim

Old 01-18-2016, 09:14 AM   #3

You have a hitch on the back of you camper ?

At best, that would be for a bike rack.

10% or more weight is on the front hitch, how would you overcome that ?

Is there no room to pull in and sneak the truck out ?
Old 01-18-2016, 09:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry37 View Post
I just purchased my first travel trailer. My family leased a lot to park it on at our "mini-vacation" spot. Problem is the lot is laid out backwards. The picnic table, grill area and landing is all on the wrong side if I back the trailer into the lot. We'd like the front door and awning of the camper to face the picnic area.
Larry37
Why did your family lease a lot where "the picnic table, grill area and landing is all on the wrong side"?
Wondering
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-18-2016, 09:27 AM   #5

It's on a hillside with a pretty large drop off. No way to sneak truck out. As far as the weight on the front, maybe install some sort of dolly wheels for the front jack to "ride" on??

It was the only spot available there or else we would have chosen a different spot.

If we have to walk around the camper to the picnic setup, it's not the end of the world. But I am no camping expert so just curious if others had solutions to this type of situation.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:32 AM   #6

I have parked sideways across the front of some backward sites.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:34 AM   #7

They make power dollies just for this purpose, moving trailers around on flat parking spots. They are pricey but you might find someone that will rent you one.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgew48 View Post
They make power dollies just for this purpose, moving trailers around on flat parking spots. They are pricey but you might find someone that you'll rent you one.
Great idea or pick up an old garden tractor to move it.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:43 AM   #9

Good ideas. Thanks guys. I will look into these options.

I have the lot leased for 6 months so once I get it in, I should be in good shape. Not like I have to move it frequently.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:08 AM   #10

You may want to consider looking at trailervalet.com. I have the original version on a cargo trailer but haven't had much of an opportunity to use it. I have read reviews that say it doesn't work near as well off pavement that it does on. Although possibly some plywood runners may be of some help.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:12 AM   #11

Thanks mdc99. I'll check that out too. This setup is all paved so grass won't be an issue.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
WHATEVERYOU DO, video this event. But seriously, Harbor Frieght makes a wheeled dolly that has a trailer ball on it, for just such events. You need a few gorillas to get the trailer going and, even more important and less thought about, to stop it, and you stear it with the dolly. I'd have a few guys, chock walkers ready to throw a 6' 4x4 behind each wheel incase this trailer decides it wants to roll down the hill. And do video this event, lots of beer.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:31 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
I have "pushed" a travel trailer into a lot off the back bumper of the trailer (old tow truck with the rubber tire push bar on the front - remember those?). We put a better wheeled dolly assembly on the front tongue as the cheapo jack would not support the pushed weight of the tongue (hitch). As mentioned the back bumpers are mostly decoration and can barely hold the sewer hose on the inside and the license plate. Some manufacturers even recommend against a bike rack, They are pretty thin metal.

If you have a large drop off in the front, I would chain up the trailer to the push vehicle as well, just in case it started to roll by itself and got away.....

Sounds like your spot was set up for a motorhome to drive in.... I have my lake lot set up similar. I drive in so I can see the lake view out the front window in the morning.

Brian
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:34 AM   #14

Ha ha tonymac. No way I am videoing anything!
I'm not looking to win any money on one of those America's Dumbest shows.