Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-19-2016, 07:49 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 52
Dumb question.....

So this is most likley a dumb question but....We will be traveling for 2 months this summer and there will be stretches where we will be dry camping 4-5 days at a time so the question is can I plug my camper into my truck and run it for say 15-20 minutes in the morning so we can try and watch some local news to get the weather? If so what problems may it cause? Thanks in advance.
__________________

__________________
Briansi52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2016, 08:27 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,324
Running the truck engine for 15 to 20 minutes shouldn't be a problem. I think a better solution would be to get a small generator and use it as much as you want.
__________________

__________________
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:11 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
J Birder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lake County, IL
Posts: 1,194
TVs typically run on 120 VAC. Trucks put out 12 VDC. Do you have either an inverter or a 12 VDC TV.

Joel
__________________
Retired electronics engineer. Avid paddler & birder.
2011 Silverado 2500HD, diesel, 4x4,crew cab, 8' bed
Palomino Puma 253FBS (27' 5er) & '94 19' Class B
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:17 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Salt Lake City area
Posts: 542
[Moderator Edit] I would second the recommendation for a generator. Dry camping for 4-5 days at a time without significant solar or a generator will be a challenge. Your RV battery should be allowed to run down to anything less than 50% or you can permanently damage it. Our trailer has LED lights, we only use battery power for water pump, and we have 220 amp hours available on our batteries. We still charge up the batteries every 2-3 days. That goes to every day is we run the heater much (electric fan). Using your truck as a charger will work if your television works on 12v, but your neighbors may not like it going on that early. You might want to look for a battery powered weather radio.
__________________
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240 RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
http://toobusyforwork.com
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:18 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
TVs typically run on 120 VAC. Trucks put out 12 VDC. Do you have either an inverter or a 12 VDC TV.

Joel
Now thats a good question...Not quite sure what I have
__________________
Briansi52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:25 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
[Moderator Edit] I would second the recommendation for a generator. Dry camping for 4-5 days at a time without significant solar or a generator will be a challenge. Your RV battery should be allowed to run down to anything less than 50% or you can permanently damage it. Our trailer has LED lights, we only use battery power for water pump, and we have 220 amp hours available on our batteries. We still charge up the batteries every 2-3 days. That goes to every day is we run the heater much (electric fan). Using your truck as a charger will work if your television works on 12v, but your neighbors may not like it going on that early. You might want to look for a battery powered weather radio.
We have two batteries and run the generater when allowed, we also use very little battery power no lights at night only battery LED's pop lights etc inside same with the water pump only when necessary we have gone 4 days already a few times and have not had an issue again just dont want to run the generator at 6am so I thought the truck might be quiet enough to do this also it would not be an everyday thing just a day to see the long range forecast. I also am pretty sure where we will be dry camping is not overly crowded been there before.
__________________
Briansi52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:32 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
palehorse89's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,731
Here is a good thread on this subject: Boondocking Battery Charging Question
__________________
2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:43 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
BrianGlenn's Avatar


 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Alberta
Posts: 898
If you have two batteries why not buy a 500 to 1000W inverter and extension cord to run the Television. It is probably 120V.

Most TVs can run on modified Sine wave inverters, does not have to be pure sine wave. MSW are cheaper. PSW are better quality.

http://www.amazon.com/RISING-Inverte...=500w+inverter

http://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Off-Gri...=500w+inverter

Another choice.

Brian.
__________________
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:50 AM   #9
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 991
[Moderator Edit]

To the OP. There is no such thing as a dumb question on here. [Moderator Edit]
BTW. I strongly suggest.a generator.

Good luck
__________________
2014 Raptor 300MP, 2014 Cowboy Cadillac - Ram 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Longhorn 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel DRW 4.10 Rear End, 5588 Payload, Firestone Airbags, Curt Q20, TST507
raineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:58 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briansi52 View Post
We have two batteries and run the generater when allowed, we also use very little battery power no lights at night only battery LED's pop lights etc inside same with the water pump only when necessary we have gone 4 days already a few times and have not had an issue again just dont want to run the generator at 6am so I thought the truck might be quiet enough to do this also it would not be an everyday thing just a day to see the long range forecast. I also am pretty sure where we will be dry camping is not overly crowded been there before.
If you have the two batteries and run the generator later then you probably do not need to bother with the truck for power.

It would also save a lot of trouble if you get yourself a weather radio. Assuming you have coverage where you are going to be it removes the need to schedule listening to when the locals decide to broadcast.
__________________
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:49 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
If you have two batteries why not buy a 500 to 1000W inverter and extension cord to run the Television. It is probably 120V.

Most TVs can run on modified Sine wave inverters, does not have to be pure sine wave. MSW are cheaper. PSW are better quality.

http://www.amazon.com/RISING-Inverte...=500w+inverter

http://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Off-Gri...=500w+inverter

Another choice.

Brian.
x2. Just get an inverter. Much easier and quieter. We ran our RV TV from a 150W 12V socket many times. Unless your TV is a large 40-50" you should be fine. Most small 19-24" TV's hardly draw any power.
__________________
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:06 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
charliej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 906
Some of the smaller LED TVs run on 12v. If your tv has an cord with a external power block(black block) then it is most likely 12v. On my 24" bed room tv I simply replaced the cord with one that plugs into a cigarette lighter type plug. Outlet was already in place.
__________________
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:25 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
rideandslide's Avatar


 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Waynesville Georgia
Posts: 1,272
I presume you have converter all your lites to LED, so much less power use and heat production . Not that expensive if you shop around ( E Bay ) we converted our whole TT.
__________________
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:36 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Pepper2's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mission TX
Posts: 2,206
Portable solar unit. The type that folds in half for storage and sits on the ground while charging. Cost's about $200.
__________________

__________________
Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dumb, really dumb BigRedLancer Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 14 09-28-2009 11:45 AM
Dumb Question gator67 Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 7 07-22-2007 05:36 PM
Potentially Very Dumb Question? Chugman Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 13 10-16-2005 02:16 PM
Dumb, Dumb, Dumb! Kaybee Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 9 10-14-2005 02:40 PM
Dumb Question RedT Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 2 09-30-2005 07:57 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.