Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2016, 07:49 AM   #1

Dumb question.....

So this is most likley a dumb question but....We will be traveling for 2 months this summer and there will be stretches where we will be dry camping 4-5 days at a time so the question is can I plug my camper into my truck and run it for say 15-20 minutes in the morning so we can try and watch some local news to get the weather? If so what problems may it cause? Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2016, 08:27 AM   #2

Running the truck engine for 15 to 20 minutes shouldn't be a problem. I think a better solution would be to get a small generator and use it as much as you want.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:11 AM   #3

TVs typically run on 120 VAC. Trucks put out 12 VDC. Do you have either an inverter or a 12 VDC TV.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:17 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
[Moderator Edit] I would second the recommendation for a generator. Dry camping for 4-5 days at a time without significant solar or a generator will be a challenge. Your RV battery should be allowed to run down to anything less than 50% or you can permanently damage it. Our trailer has LED lights, we only use battery power for water pump, and we have 220 amp hours available on our batteries. We still charge up the batteries every 2-3 days. That goes to every day is we run the heater much (electric fan). Using your truck as a charger will work if your television works on 12v, but your neighbors may not like it going on that early. You might want to look for a battery powered weather radio.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
TVs typically run on 120 VAC. Trucks put out 12 VDC. Do you have either an inverter or a 12 VDC TV.

Joel
Now thats a good question...Not quite sure what I have
Old 03-19-2016, 09:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
[Moderator Edit] I would second the recommendation for a generator. Dry camping for 4-5 days at a time without significant solar or a generator will be a challenge. Your RV battery should be allowed to run down to anything less than 50% or you can permanently damage it. Our trailer has LED lights, we only use battery power for water pump, and we have 220 amp hours available on our batteries. We still charge up the batteries every 2-3 days. That goes to every day is we run the heater much (electric fan). Using your truck as a charger will work if your television works on 12v, but your neighbors may not like it going on that early. You might want to look for a battery powered weather radio.
We have two batteries and run the generater when allowed, we also use very little battery power no lights at night only battery LED's pop lights etc inside same with the water pump only when necessary we have gone 4 days already a few times and have not had an issue again just dont want to run the generator at 6am so I thought the truck might be quiet enough to do this also it would not be an everyday thing just a day to see the long range forecast. I also am pretty sure where we will be dry camping is not overly crowded been there before.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:32 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Here is a good thread on this subject: Boondocking Battery Charging Question
Old 03-19-2016, 09:43 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
If you have two batteries why not buy a 500 to 1000W inverter and extension cord to run the Television. It is probably 120V.

Most TVs can run on modified Sine wave inverters, does not have to be pure sine wave. MSW are cheaper. PSW are better quality.

http://www.amazon.com/RISING-Inverte...=500w+inverter

http://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Off-Gri...=500w+inverter

Another choice.

Brian.
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:50 AM   #9

[Moderator Edit]

To the OP. There is no such thing as a dumb question on here. [Moderator Edit]
BTW. I strongly suggest.a generator.

Good luck
Old 03-19-2016, 09:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briansi52 View Post
We have two batteries and run the generater when allowed, we also use very little battery power no lights at night only battery LED's pop lights etc inside same with the water pump only when necessary we have gone 4 days already a few times and have not had an issue again just dont want to run the generator at 6am so I thought the truck might be quiet enough to do this also it would not be an everyday thing just a day to see the long range forecast. I also am pretty sure where we will be dry camping is not overly crowded been there before.
If you have the two batteries and run the generator later then you probably do not need to bother with the truck for power.

It would also save a lot of trouble if you get yourself a weather radio. Assuming you have coverage where you are going to be it removes the need to schedule listening to when the locals decide to broadcast.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
If you have two batteries why not buy a 500 to 1000W inverter and extension cord to run the Television. It is probably 120V.

Most TVs can run on modified Sine wave inverters, does not have to be pure sine wave. MSW are cheaper. PSW are better quality.

http://www.amazon.com/RISING-Inverte...=500w+inverter

http://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Off-Gri...=500w+inverter

Another choice.

Brian.
x2. Just get an inverter. Much easier and quieter. We ran our RV TV from a 150W 12V socket many times. Unless your TV is a large 40-50" you should be fine. Most small 19-24" TV's hardly draw any power.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:06 AM   #12

Some of the smaller LED TVs run on 12v. If your tv has an cord with a external power block(black block) then it is most likely 12v. On my 24" bed room tv I simply replaced the cord with one that plugs into a cigarette lighter type plug. Outlet was already in place.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:25 PM   #13

I presume you have converter all your lites to LED, so much less power use and heat production . Not that expensive if you shop around ( E Bay ) we converted our whole TT.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:36 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Portable solar unit. The type that folds in half for storage and sits on the ground while charging. Cost's about $200.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote