Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2016, 09:13 AM   #1

Dumping into septic tank

We have purchased a Valterra SS01 sewage disposal system (similar to a macerator pump, but is powered by water pressure instead of electricity). We want to be able to dump into our septic tank at home, which has a plastic riser on it with a large round cover. Is there a way to adapt this cover to easily insert the 1" sewer hose?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2016, 10:23 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Pictures of the connections would be helpful for us to help you.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:32 AM   #3

I would think long and hard about using it with a septic system. Most home septic systems are designed to handle waste in small amounts, such as flushing the toilet and allowing the solids to settle. Excess fluids go over the weir where more settling happens, and then that drains to a distribution box, and finally the drain field. If you dump a whole waste tank which may be 50 to 100 gallon plus the extra water to run the pump, it could easily be the same as flushing the toilet 20 times in a very short period of time. That is not what a home system was designed to handle. JMO
Old 06-19-2016, 11:20 AM   #4

I bought a spare cap that fits and drilled a hole for the hose to fit in.

I switch caps and pump away.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:37 AM   #5

We use the Sewer Solution unit, a water pressure type similar to yours for use at home to dump into our house sewer system which also has a riser with a threaded cap.

I connect the flex hose from the unit to a 10' length of 1" PVC with elbow at the other end connected to a short length of 1" PVC I insert down into the clean-out in front of our house. So far works great.....

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:42 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
We use the Sewer Solution unit, a water pressure type similar to yours for use at home to dump into our house sewer system which also has a riser with a threaded cap.

I connect the flex hose from the unit to a 10' length of 1" PVC with elbow at the other end connected to a short length of 1" PVC I insert down into the clean-out in front of our house. So far works great.....
X2 ^^^^
Old 06-19-2016, 11:50 AM   #7

The ability of your septic system to handle the RV load may depend on the the size system. We had our house septic inspected and were told there was not problem at all with adding an RV dump and handling the load. He even told us the best place to locate it.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 01:56 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If using a home septic system, you should avoid using holding tank chemicals that could be harmful to the bacteria in your system. Things like large quantities of bleach, formaldehyde, and other things that are good at killing the bacteria that cause odors in your holding tanks might cause problems in your home septic system. Try using laundry detergent in your holding tanks instead of bacteria killing chem instead.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
I would think long and hard about using it with a septic system. Most home septic systems are designed to handle waste in small amounts, such as flushing the toilet and allowing the solids to settle. Excess fluids go over the weir where more settling happens, and then that drains to a distribution box, and finally the drain field. If you dump a whole waste tank which may be 50 to 100 gallon plus the extra water to run the pump, it could easily be the same as flushing the toilet 20 times in a very short period of time. That is not what a home system was designed to handle. JMO
I would be more concerned about chemicals than volume of waste. Septic tanks handle everything from bathtubs (40-50 gallons) to whirlpool baths draining that are in excess of 100 gallons. The leech field is usually at the opposite end of the main tank from the inlet so any "solids" and going to be below the grade of the drain pipes. I think it's the chemicals that would be more problematic than adding 50-100 gallons of waste (which is mostly liquid).
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleKing View Post
I would be more concerned about chemicals than volume of waste. Septic tanks handle everything from bathtubs (40-50 gallons) to whirlpool baths draining that are in excess of 100 gallons. The leech field is usually at the opposite end of the main tank from the inlet so any "solids" and going to be below the grade of the drain pipes. I think it's the chemicals that would be more problematic than adding 50-100 gallons of waste (which is mostly liquid).

Makes good sense, since many RV parks remotely located may use septic systems, we use concentrated Rid-X in our holding tank. So far it works out OK

Best regards & safe travels to all....

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank