Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2010, 10:01 PM   #1

Duro Tires

Has anyone had any experiences with Duro tires on their travel trailer?
Our new unit has them on it and was wondering about the quality.
WpgCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2010, 11:16 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Not on a TT but have them on my utility (motorcycle) trailer. Had one blow out on the highway but I am pretty sure it was due to under inflation and very bad potholes. Never trust a dealer when they say that the pressure was checked. The other side was way low when we checked it and the spare being put on.

Other than that we have had no problems but don't put on a lot of miles.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #3

Look on the side wall and if it says Made in China or the date code is more than a few years old I would not trust them.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:12 PM   #4

Keep in mind ALL ST(special trailer) tires must be inflated to sidewall maximum, and are speed rated for 65 mph. This is so important, Carlisle Tire states the warranty is voided if used otherwise. The Tire and Rubber Industry says over 90% of all tire failures are due to under-inflation and overloading.
That said, if your tires are 5 years or older, replace them, regardless of tread wear. I've had good results from Duro, and many other China-made tires by following the above facts. Not to say I've never had tire failures, but two in the past 15 years isn't bad.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgCouple View Post
Has anyone had any experiences with Duro tires on their travel trailer?
Our new unit has them on it and was wondering about the quality.

cheap crap, They came on my '08 Zinger replaced two the 1st yr because of side wall cracks this yr I replaced to other 2 because of side wall cracks.
Mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Our new Cameo came with Duro tires and I had the dealer change them with my Michelin's that I had on our old fiver. I have read about a lot of problems with Duro after a couple of years. I had a lot of troubles with Goodyear's until I put on the Michelin's and no more problems.
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:02 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry I don't have experience with Duros so cannot comment. However if you are looking for options I did a lot of research a couple of years ago on replacement tires for our trailer. One of the brands that seemed to have advantages was the MAXXIS. Yes they are made in China but you would be surprised at what other tires are made in China that people believe are made in USA. One trick that I've seen is that "made in china" is imprinted on the tire bead so that when it is mounted you cannot see where it's made. I believe one of the features of Maxxis is fiberglass band which keeps them from disintegrating if you have a blowout. Some trailers have suffered extensive damage to the trailer from tires letting go. Do some research on the "net" to confirm.
Kal Tire in Winnipeg should carry them. As others have mentioned make sure they are "fresh" The other point is that you need ST rated tires as they have different compounds than regular tires to help against UV and sitting for a long spell. Although tires wear from use they are more happy when they are rolling down the road, they don't like sitting.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:43 AM   #8

Duro tires (15") came on my TT when I bought it. Within 2000 mi, 3 of 4 treads had separated. Decided to go with load range "E" replacements. The only load "E" available in 15" were Carlisles also made in China.

After blowouts and flats, I said to H___ with Chinese tires. I bought 16" rims from Dexstar (US made) and put Goodrich 245/75/16E Commercial TA's on.

My axle spacing is 33 1/2" and the new wheels/tires fit fine and allowed room for my expanding chocks. I just did this and am having the axle alignment checked as I write this. I expect to be a very happy camper.
mhcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:37 AM   #9

Uh... for those interested, trailer only tires have no safety margin for loading as are required on auto or truck tires. Any trailer only tire running within 90-100% of it's specified weight rating will fail if run for a hour or more and a trailer only tire must be inflated to max on the sidewall at all times. Light truck tires or passenger car tires are required to have a 15% safety margin on overloading. Not so with a trailer tire.

People say that because of excessive scrubbing on tight turns a trailer only tire should always be used because they are constructed to withstand the excessive sidewall flex associated with tandem axles.This has not proven true for me as I have had both light truck tires and trailer tires on trailers and light truck tires have always proved in my case to be superior tires.
This all leads back to weighing your rig so you know how much weight you are carrying.

In real practice it seems weight plays a bigger role in tire failure with trailer tires and that people rarely check their pressure leading to many failures on the road because of under inflation. Perhaps it's also driven by RV manufacturers who will only install the bare minimum for the trailer to leave the lot.. The last trailer I bought was rated at 14,200 lbs with D rated trailer only tires and 6000LB axles. How can this be you ask? Well, it seems the tow vehicle actually carries about 18-20% of this total weight giving a total weight in the 4 trailer tires at leaving 11,460LBS caried by 4 D rated tires on the trailer. If you mulitply 2950 X 4 you get 11,800 So the tires are legally able to carry the weight but what about the safety factor? If you remove 10% for safety you are down to 10,000 lb the tires are actually rated to carry, you see quite clearly these tires are over loaded. When I actually weighed the rig as delivered with nothing in it it was 14, 870 LBS. Moral... always weigh your rig. I went to the dealer and demanded that tires be mounted that could actually carry the weight of the rig as delivere along with supporting documentation from the tire manufacturer.. They ended up putting on Goodyear E rated LT tires with a load rating of 3250 per tire. Now these tires are rated to 3250 + a 15 % safety margin. In 8 years of travel not one tire failure. Don't count on the tires supplied to even carry the weight the trailer or motorhome weighs loaded. It's more common then you think.

These manufacturers, in my opinion, should be forced to provide a safe running gear when delivered and not sqeack by like they do. No wonder you read of tire failers on trailers and RVs. When was the last time you bought a car that was delivered with tires unable to carry the weight of the car they are under? Why is there no accoutability?

We as consumers of RVs need to hold manufacturers responsible by buying rigs that are safe to begin with and voting out of business the manufactuers who deliberately put people at risk by delivering an over the road trailer that is unsafe from the factory. Do your homework and buy responsibly.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Had Duro bias plys on my TT from new until last year with zero issues and good tread wear. Eight years worth.

I went up to Duro 8 ply radials last year and so far I'm happy with them.

Maintain your pressures and you should be fine.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #11

I too have used Duro tires on our 5er, with no problems. Currently running a set of another Asian brand, bought at Les Schwab, also no issues. Read up a bit, and you'll find that MOST "made in USA" tires are actually made offshore...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:30 PM   #12

"Any trailer only tire running within 90-100% of it's specified weight rating will fail if run for a hour or more and a trailer only tire must be inflated to max on the sidewall at all times."

I would appreciate a link to where this information is to be obtained from a tire manufacturer.
Thanks,
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:56 PM   #13

wingnut I can supply a link to ST tire pressure. Page 2 has the inflation admonition http://www.carlisletire.com/product_care/proper_tire_care_safety.pdf
that ST tires must be inflated to sidewall maximum or warranty is void.
The Rubber Industry states that over 90% of tire failures are the result of under-inflation or over-loading. I lost my link to that but I'll attempt to re-locate.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #14

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
It is a little pricey but I like the Pressure Pro. Do not put them on without steel value stems, as you will have trouble.
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote