Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2014, 08:47 AM   #71

Not 100% sure where the tear is on your water heater... but I once forgot to drain the HW tank and had a crack in it when spring de-winterization came around..

I took the unit to welding shop that specialized in aluminum... they were able to patch it up for about $20 and I never had a lick of trouble with it...

oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2014, 08:57 AM   #72

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
Not 100% sure where the tear is on your water heater... but I once forgot to drain the HW tank and had a crack in it when spring de-winterization came around..

I took the unit to welding shop that specialized in aluminum... they were able to patch it up for about $20 and I never had a lick of trouble with it...
The weird thing is that I drained the water out but some how it still had water in it so I must not have gotten all the water out of the lines . I can tig aluminum but I have a friend who does a better job than me and I want it to be right. For the price of a new heater you can't afford not to save it.

99 Dutchman Lite. 30'. 2002 Ford F-350 Superduty 7.3 Liter Navistar Diesel manual 4x4, 3.73 ratio, True Blue, Bone StockSOLD! Current tow beast: 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel Allison 1000 Automatic 4x4, 3.73, Onxy Black, Bone Stock.
fbh31118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:05 AM   #73

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
These are the folks we went to go see in Tomah Wisconsin, forgot to add a picture to my gallery. You can find them on FB if you would like to follow them.

99 Dutchman Lite. 30'. 2002 Ford F-350 Superduty 7.3 Liter Navistar Diesel manual 4x4, 3.73 ratio, True Blue, Bone StockSOLD! Current tow beast: 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel Allison 1000 Automatic 4x4, 3.73, Onxy Black, Bone Stock.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:30 AM   #74

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Started digging into the skylight last night to see what could be done and it looks like the screw flange is cracked and broke. Looks like I'll be ordering a new one

Old 06-26-2014, 08:55 AM   #75

Water Heater - Broke Valve

Thus far I've been lucky with water heaters. However, I had a isolation valve 'break' in the close position this spring and couldn't get any hot water out of the heater. Because I didn't want to buy the Pex clamping tool, I ended up removing all the valves and minimimizing the 'compression type' fittings I ended up using. Hopefully they'll be no water leaks after we hit the road. I couldn't believe that a metal valve actually broke with such little use!

We're going to pull it on a short weekend camping trip this weekend and see how it goes. ....after that we're thinking Myrtle Beach in August.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:02 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbh31118 View Post
Started digging into the skylight last night to see what could be done and it looks like the screw flange is cracked and broke. Looks like I'll be ordering a new one

When you lay it back down, put some of this trim over the flange.

You can get some that doesn't take the insert, and has a little shorter leg, but same idea. The reason I always do this, is so that little screw heads aren't holding in a tiny spot, creating pressure and causing cracks. It's a more even hold down.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:50 AM   #77

Good idea using the 'extra' trim. I assume you're going to caulk under and above the trim piece. Let us see some pictures if you have time when you get done. By the way, have you recoated your roof yet?
Old 06-27-2014, 06:45 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Good idea using the 'extra' trim. I assume you're going to caulk under and above the trim piece. Let us see some pictures if you have time when you get done. By the way, have you recoated your roof yet?
You put putty under the sky light, place it down. Then putty under the trim, and place it down. Then pre drill through the skylight for two reasons; one the holes don't line up, therefore, two, giving you the possibility to cause splitting later on.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:26 PM   #79

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
New skylight installed. Should be leak free now.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:25 PM   #80

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A little more roof repair and resealing. I'm thinking that some stainless screws would have been a better choice than steel. Looks like a little galvanic corrosion going on. I'll get new hardware and reseal tomorrow.

This first one is were I think the water was getting in, you can see a little mossy green looking stuff.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:31 AM   #81

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbh31118 View Post
My wife and I own a 1999 Dutchman Lite. Pretty good travel trailer for the most part and we have no complaints other than the rotten mattresses they send with them but I digress.

We purchased it a three years ago from my wifes parents for what they owed on it, right around $4500 dollars. After using it and living in it, for two months, after starting a new job, it could use some work. I thought I would start a little chronological thread to track my progress and give others a few cheap laughs at my expense. I'll try and get a few pictures of the beast so folks will know were I went wrong and again get a few cheap laughs in.

Here is a sample of the things that need to be done in order to pass my inspection. Number one on the list is new rubber all the way around, it's original from 99' and they go by the brand name 'maypops'. Two would be the leaky sky light in the bath, the rv place they bought it from put a rubber roof on it and went over the top of the skylight instead of sealing under it and reattaching the skylight. Next will be repacking all the wheel bearings and adding new seals, they've never been apart, ever! Nearly every piece of exterior plastic needs to be replaced, especially the oven vent hood thing is very yellow, along with the propane tank cover and the electrical cord encloser. I've also got to give this thing a bath, the guy at the trailer shop said he had a cleaner that works great for taking chlorophyll off of trailers. Oh, and not least of which is replacing the 'pink' marker lights over the back of the trailer, they just look horrible!!

Ok, I'll try and follow up with a few picks of my trailer up on blocks in the morning if weather permitts. It's the same trailer as in my avitar! Thanks for reading
I bought a 97 holiday rambler and did all the things you did and a bunch more. In my case I replaced roof, replumbed, rewired breaker panel, completly repaired bedroom from ceiling to floor. Insulating underneath and installing corrugated plastic sheets underneath. Used cpvc for plumbing, will see if that holds up under vibration. I have pictures on my blog smithsrv.blogspot.com if anyone want to see them. Your trailer is looking nice.
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:22 AM   #82

You make me feel lazy, with all that work your doing !!! Once we got ours road worthy i haven't done much. Except for repairing the awning we lost by being stupid and left it up as we went shopping for the day

Jim & Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0004.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	72792  
Old 09-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #83

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
You make me feel lazy, with all that work your doing !!! Once we got ours road worthy i haven't done much. Except for repairing the awning we lost by being stupid and left it up as we went shopping for the day

Jim & Pat
Don't feel lazy, we've been avoiding the work for several years now trying to scrap up the money. It just got to the point that if we were going to keep it we would have to do some repair. Our trailers awning is sun rotted and has to be replaced as well.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #84

Yes ! Money ????????

It's old, and it works, and we love it ! Till we hit the lottery,and i nice new Jayco, or Outdoors !

Jim & Pat

Tags
dutchmen, lite, plastic, repair, tank