Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2018, 04:49 PM   #1

DVD player skips - looking at replacement

Don't need a state of the art entertainment system, but I'd love to be able to watch a movie without it spending at least a few minutes skipping. I seriously don't think we've seen a movie the last 2 trips without it skipping at least 5 minutes. The final straw was last night when it started doing it during a critical part and my wife took the DVD out and put it in the $25 portable DVD player and it ran perfectly.

The current unit is a double-DIN Jensen unit. What are my options for a replacement that will allow for the same features (3 sets of speakers, radio, DVD, CD, etc.) but have higher quality DVD functionality? I don't really have a good place for a separate unit for DVDs, so I need to keep it all in one unit if at all possible.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2018, 06:53 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I suggest you download a manual for the Jensen unit you now have. The manual should show all inputs and outputs, and the plug style it uses. You could then take this information to any good electronics retailer and get a recommendation of a compatible replacement. You might also find a troubleshooting guide online for your unit, it might just need cleaning of the read head.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:29 PM   #3

So you think Best Buy will have something that can play DVDs, CDs, Radio, and quickly/easily choose between 3 sets of speakers?

Didn't even know they made head cleaners. The unit is in a 2016 camper, so it's not old. I suppose that could be the issue...?
Old 07-15-2018, 08:55 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Buying any electronic gear that has to connect and coordinate with other components is to make sure the cabling and formats match up, that's why I suggested getting the specs on what you have.

Head cleaning has always been the first step ever since reel-to-reel tape recorders. Cassette, CD, DVD players all can benefit from a head cleaning (or demagnetizing) before scrapping them.

Since you mentioned Best Buy: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...d+lens+cleaner

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:01 PM   #5

In our class C and in our TT we ignored the factory players and got a small Blu-ray player and hooked it up directly to the TV then the output of the TV audio went to the factory player. much simpler....
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Buying any electronic gear that has to connect and coordinate with other components is to make sure the cabling and formats match up, that's why I suggested getting the specs on what you have.

Head cleaning has always been the first step ever since reel-to-reel tape recorders. Cassette, CD, DVD players all can benefit from a head cleaning (or demagnetizing) before scrapping them.

Since you mentioned Best Buy: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...d+lens+cleaner
Thanks! I'll give that a shot first.

Took a pic of the Jensen today and no model number in sight. I'm sure it's on the back, but I didn't have the time to deal with pulling it out (wife & kids in the truck at the storage unit), so I'll see what I can find out later on.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement