Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #1

Easy Chairs & TVs in a floor plan

We are shopping for our first TT. We have seen many great floor plans. Our thinking is that we like layouts with a sofa and a couple of swivel easy chairs. Seems much more conversation friendly if people are over than sofa and dinette. But I only have a house bound frame of reference. I have know idea just how much entertaining time (self and friends) time people actually spend INSIDE at TT. I am sure weather and bugs can cause you to seek refuge, but how about by choice? In nice weather how important have those living room style layouts been, or would people like to have had one?

My TV question is related, because that is also inside time (although I see outside mounts on some!). At home we only watch a few shows, and the occasional rented movie, from time to time. Mostly we want to be outside looking at sights, natural and man made! Maybe you can't even get TV reception in RV parks, I don't know. Most floor plans are great until you try to see the TV - it is 15 feet away - tough to see with smaller eyes. So, like the easy chairs, how useful have people found a TV that fits nicely into your living space?

We are not likely to be heading off the beaten path. I think for a long time there will be asphalt or concrete under our (yet to be bought) TT wheels.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnijman View Post
We are shopping for our first TT. We have seen many great floor plans. Our thinking is that we like layouts with a sofa and a couple of swivel easy chairs. Seems much more conversation friendly if people are over than sofa and dinette. But I only have a house bound frame of reference. I have know idea just how much entertaining time (self and friends) time people actually spend INSIDE at TT. I am sure weather and bugs can cause you to seek refuge, but how about by choice? In nice weather how important have those living room style layouts been, or would people like to have had one?

My TV question is related, because that is also inside time (although I see outside mounts on some!). At home we only watch a few shows, and the occasional rented movie, from time to time. Mostly we want to be outside looking at sights, natural and man made! Maybe you can't even get TV reception in RV parks, I don't know. Most floor plans are great until you try to see the TV - it is 15 feet away - tough to see with smaller eyes. So, like the easy chairs, how useful have people found a TV that fits nicely into your living space?

We are not likely to be heading off the beaten path. I think for a long time there will be asphalt or concrete under our (yet to be bought) TT wheels.
We are in the same "boat" as you....looking for the correct floorplan....we also have noticed that some brands have a Small TV, mid-way, (in the RL's), and like you say, from the swivel chairs, in rear, we think a larger TV would be better. PLUS, we've sat down in the chairs, before, and made sure the kitchen counter-top doesn't block the view!! Some we've found, also, are putting much too large a chairs (recliners) in that spot, which makes it too crowded! Noticed in one, that the recliners or large swivel chairs would actually "bump" the other one, or were in the way, when walking past them!! Once you visit the models that you like, go in them repeated times, to make sure those little things are known, before you buy.....we are doing JUST THAT, right now....we have not bought, YET!

ALSO, with AC, TV, and all the comforts of home, (this is supposed to be camping, right?) it is easy to fall into the "home" environment, if you are not careful......I noticed this after we got our Class A, few years ago (now gone)....we were literally staying INSIDE more, watching TV, husband on internet (!!!), me, cooking meals in the kitchen, (we could have done all of this at home!) and weren't sitting outside as much, enjoying the camping lifestyle, that we USED TO ENJOY when we had a POP-UP, with NO TV, preparing and eating most of our food, by the campfire!! With lack of the TV, I used to put together jigsaw puzzles, read, husband read and tended the campfire, walked, etc.......HOPEFULLY we won't get into that "Class A" rut, again, when we find the right TT -- I think we MUST make an effort to turn off the TV and laptop, and head outdoors, to walk, make a fire, chat with our neighbors, for a more enjoyable outing! After all, that is what we like about the camping lifestyle--exploring new places!

Good luck with your search......we're spending lots of time, looking at different floorplans, and we are now down to a TOP 4 PICK!! Soon we shall be traveling, once again.........maybe not too far, because of this 'gas' situation!!
Happy Trails!

Old 02-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #3

really some great stuff in there Kasha! we currently have a 27' TT. this is our 2nd TT, having had 3 PuP's and a 5th wheel also in the past. we've taken the televisions out of every one of them that had one. (this one had 2). we typically 'camp' at one of our great State Parks here in GA or one of the many COE campgrounds around Lake Allatoona.
when we get to go camping, MOST of the time we plan out what we intend to do. Hiking, fishing, horse back riding, etc....there have been a few times over the years that we used our camper as a motel/just a place to sleep while on vacation. We would rarely use a tv. DW and I usually have our laptops and wireless broadband, for checking email. I like to write up my thoughts on the campground we're in and post (have started a few here, and on another forum i frequent). there was one trip i went a day early last year and took a couple of movies to watch (used the dvd player on the laptop) because it was calling for rain that evening and i wouldn't get to fish.
how often do you expect to have 'company' over for visits? our experience is if we have company, it's our oldest daughter, SIL and grand daughter. and we'll typically eat outside, sit around the fire. if it's raining, too cold, or buggy, we'll play a board game or cards....
kasha gave a lot of good advice, but only you can decide what you're going to actually do when you camp. isit gonna be just like when you're at home? or do you expect to break the usual routines?
good luck in your search!!
Old 02-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We have a 2001 ,35' Jayco Eagle Resort 350FSS, with 2 slide outs,that stays at a seasonal campground year round, I stay in it from May - Oct. I have a sister and brother in law and their 2 kids who have a TT beside me, and we have lots of fun, more than just sitting and watching TV, the TV is for news, and weather updates, and for rainy days. Our time is spent swimming,fishing, taking walks, visiting other campers and enjoying the great outdoors. We have friends and family come to the camper and we sit outdoors and visit, build a fire, and socialize. If it happens to rain, we make like a family and get close and sit under the awning..lol We like to play cards, corn hole, or whatever, and to sit and talk and catch up .
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
We were in the same place you are looking for a more 'liveable' trailer. Then we had a 25' bunkhouse model which was very unlivable. In 2005 we ordered a Forest River Rockwood 8314SS with rear LR and couch dinnet table slide out. The TV is about 12 feet away from the easy chairs. We bought a flat screen 32" TV which helps. This trailer works perfect for us doing park hosting for 2 or 3 months at a time. Hope this helps.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I want a little room, but to me the whole idea was supposed to be about enjoying the out doors. If I could move around better, I would be In a class B. I Looked at some fifth wheels but they were so big inside it seemed like a small apartment or condo. I wanted something easy to set up, and with good storage. Our 40 ft MH will be big enough to be comfortable without stooping, but small enough to drive us outdoors, which is where we want to be.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoststories View Post
We have a 2001 ,35' Jayco Eagle Resort 350FSS, with 2 slide outs,that stays at a seasonal campground year round, I stay in it from May - Oct. I have a sister and brother in law and their 2 kids who have a TT beside me, and we have lots of fun, more than just sitting and watching TV, the TV is for news, and weather updates, and for rainy days. Our time is spent swimming,fishing, taking walks, visiting other campers and enjoying the great outdoors. We have friends and family come to the camper and we sit outdoors and visit, build a fire, and socialize. If it happens to rain, we make like a family and get close and sit under the awning..lol We like to play cards, corn hole, or whatever, and to sit and talk and catch up .
Old 02-25-2012, 12:37 AM   #8

Thanks all for the great advice. The TV is heading a lot lower on our priority list. We can probably forgo the easy chairs, but that sofa had better be comfy.

Speaking of comfy looking, I see that Winnebago is back after 30 years building travel trailers. They have a sofa which expands from an inline into an L-shaped sectional. I must see this in person.

Gary
Old 02-25-2012, 01:15 AM   #9

for all of you looking for a TT with lots of room, look at the keystone High Country RES321.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #10

Tis the season for RV shows.

An RV show provides an excellent opportunity to look at a lot of different floor plans from a lot of different manufacturers. I would highly recommend going to an RV show and spend the day there looking, sitting and relaxing and talking to the sales guys. There seems to be much less sales pressure at an RV show versus walking onto a lot which allows you to explore a bit more without interruption.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
This is my take on most of the above posts. You are buying your TT so you can get away from the home inviroment and enjoy the outdoors. Keep in mind that there are a good amount of people that live in thier rv full time. The manufactures try to make models that will fulfill both type of users. We are the fulltime type and do enjoy the confort of our recliners and 32" lcd tv. When we go camping we take our 2 man tent, small stove and flashlights.
There is a TT out there that will fulfill your needs. Good luck on the search.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Tis the season for RV shows.

An RV show provides an excellent opportunity to look at a lot of different floor plans from a lot of different manufacturers. I would highly recommend going to an RV show and spend the day there looking, sitting and relaxing and talking to the sales guys. There seems to be much less sales pressure at an RV show versus walking onto a lot which allows you to explore a bit more without interruption.
OH yes, we try to go to all the RV SHOWS that come into our area; We've learned a lot from those, and a good place, to "test" them, with regards to sitting in them, opening drawers, closets, storage bays, taking time to notice details, weight stickers, etc....As an added bonus to us, for later use, my husband takes a few photos of each one, with few features plus the weight stickers on each unit, so we can later go back and view them........works better than later saying, "Which one had that ____ feature"? And as you say, at the RV Shows, there is less pressure from sales staff, and they basically are there to answer your questions, and give you a brochure, etc...But, they also get sales, from RV Shows, too. Not sure how "discounted" their prices are, at shows, but we tend to know the price range of our "Short list" TT's we have been looking at. PLUS, also if you go to many of these shows, you get to know the dealerships, too.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by papachaz57 View Post
really some great stuff in there Kasha! we currently have a 27' TT. this is our 2nd TT, having had 3 PuP's and a 5th wheel also in the past. we've taken the televisions out of every one of them that had one. (this one had 2). we typically 'camp' at one of our great State Parks here in GA or one of the many COE campgrounds around Lake Allatoona.
when we get to go camping, MOST of the time we plan out what we intend to do. Hiking, fishing, horse back riding, etc....there have been a few times over the years that we used our camper as a motel/just a place to sleep while on vacation. We would rarely use a tv. DW and I usually have our laptops and wireless broadband, for checking email. I like to write up my thoughts on the campground we're in and post (have started a few here, and on another forum i frequent). there was one trip i went a day early last year and took a couple of movies to watch (used the dvd player on the laptop) because it was calling for rain that evening and i wouldn't get to fish.
how often do you expect to have 'company' over for visits? our experience is if we have company, it's our oldest daughter, SIL and grand daughter. and we'll typically eat outside, sit around the fire. if it's raining, too cold, or buggy, we'll play a board game or cards....
kasha gave a lot of good advice, but only you can decide what you're going to actually do when you camp. isit gonna be just like when you're at home? or do you expect to break the usual routines?
good luck in your search!!
Agree with Papachaz57; We also enjoy the State Parks, and most times, when we plan our trips, they are usually centered around some specific event or function going on in the area. On other times, they are trips planned "just for fun", with no plans in mind... I also keep a "log" (or diary), of EACH campground/RV Park, we visit, with the particulars of them, features, likes/dislikes, and location, time of year visited, climate, RV site, etc.... That provides a good reference, for a return trip.

With regards to "company", for visits.......all depends on the location......if friends and relatives, nearby, then by all means, we invite them over for cookout, etc....and even if no one you know is around the area, there's always fellow campers that are friendly and nice, and sometimes good place to meet new friends, who share the same camping interests as yourself. That's the main reason we prefer camping over staying in motels or hotels........there's always fun stories to share, while sitting beside the campfire! We've never really experienced that, in a Motel or Hotel lobby, however.