Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2011, 09:35 AM   #15

The rubber roof was a major saving for both RV owners and the insurance industry when it comes to weather related damage. Rubber roofs came about in the 70's and was used on travel trailers with radius roof corners, which helped prevent roof leaks, due to the rubber being rolled over the edge by about 4 inches. Also the rubber roof was a saving to the manufacturers vs aluminum roofs. As Ray from Indiana said the roof needs maintence with the correct cleaning materials. If you have a small hole or tear in your rubber roof, it can be patched with the proper material, which is supplied by the rubber suppliers. If you cannot check your roof, you can get a good service center give you straight answers.
duncan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPW View Post
Bull, that cover is a good idea !!! My RV friend told me that although my Jayco dealer told me it would be fine living outside , that was a Lie !!! He said I should really keep the TT garaged /stored in an inside facility , or covered with a good tarp/cover. He also enlightened me that the dealers made most of their money on repairs (covered by Insurance)...so it would greatly benefit the dealer to have my TT fall apart! Hence the misinformation...
My dealer kindly offered the information (after the fact ), that he should inspect and re-caulk my TT once a year , to the tune of $1200.00 ... Now had he told me that before the sale , I'd have Never bought it !!!

I'm with ya. That "once a year" deal is what got me to doing a ton of research on the rubber roof. I have already made arrangements for inside storage as well.
bull1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #17
GPW

Bull, I'm off tomorrow to get a tarp for mine !!!
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPW View Post
Bull, I'm off tomorrow to get a tarp for mine !!!

Gothca They are just too expense not to take every precaution.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:33 PM   #19

Be careful with TARPS. I had put a RV cover over my 1998 Fleetwood and the wind blowing it on the edges causing it to rub against all sides rubbed all of the rubber off of both sides on the radius. Then it rained and I had little pieces of rubber stuck all over the sides of the motorhome. What a mess! I had to re coat the entire roof. Don't do it. Find a carport or something to just park it under. Be careful if using a tarp or RV Cover
Old 03-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #20

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyzw22 View Post
Be careful with TARPS. I had put a RV cover over my 1998 Fleetwood and the wind blowing it on the edges causing it to rub against all sides rubbed all of the rubber off of both sides on the radius. Then it rained and I had little pieces of rubber stuck all over the sides of the motorhome. What a mess! I had to re coat the entire roof. Don't do it. Find a carport or something to just park it under. Be careful if using a tarp or RV Cover
This is good advice, you will want to be care full, I have seen a number of RVs that the tarps/covers have caused damage. I have had some customers that has used spacers to keep the traps up off of the roof and have seemed to have pretty good luck with it. You are really just trying to keep the sun of off the roof. When it comes to RVs, Boats, ATVs, etc... the sun does more damage then anything else.
RangeCampMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:43 AM   #21
GPW

Guys, Thanks for the tarp warnings !!! Since I don't have any place covered to store it , the tarp is my only option ... But I will use some spacers!!!! ... I have some Blue foam strips that might serve as spacers.. Think that would work ??? Maybe ???
Old 03-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #22

OMG guys, crawl up once a year and wash the membrane with spic n span. No sealer, no worries. EPDM membranes are damaged by harsh chemicals and any petrolium product. They are designed to chalk in the sun. Most EPDM membranes will last 15-20 year out in the sun... longer if covered. Wash them once a year with a soap and rinse to get off the stains and chalk and check and reseal all penetrations that show signs of the sealant cracking about every season with Dicor sealent. Thats it. Use no sealer or protectant. They are very durable.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #23
GPW

What about those of us stuck with the paper thin TPO roofs ... Scary thin , anything brushes it is a scratch ....
Old 03-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller View Post
OMG guys, crawl up once a year and wash the membrane with spic n span. No sealer, no worries. EPDM membranes are damaged by harsh chemicals and any petrolium product. They are designed to chalk in the sun. Most EPDM membranes will last 15-20 year out in the sun... longer if covered. Wash them once a year with a soap and rinse to get off the stains and chalk and check and reseal all penetrations that show signs of the sealant cracking about every season with Dicor sealent. Thats it. Use no sealer or protectant. They are very durable.
-Paul R. Haller-

Paul,

Thanks for the info, and will do. Sounds like we were carrying on a bit, but to be honest, this my first TT, so just didn't know.

Excellent advise though, and I'll take heed. After I learned what to look for, mine is really in superb condition, so I don't think I really have anything to worry about.

Thanks again,

Dale
Old 03-14-2011, 07:59 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller View Post
-Paul R. Haller-

Howdy,

Took the TT out for the first time, and did just what you said: Washed it, (used tide powder) cleaned away any broken sealant, and resealed with Dicor self leveling sealant. No leaks. No worries. But, after cleaning, I did notice what appeared to be small spider cracks in the membrane in certain spots on the edges. Nothing big though.....Don't mean to be paranoid, but just spent a lot of money on this thing, and I'm very impressed with it, so I want to keep it nice. Are these "Spider crack areas" something I should worry about? Could I just put the EDPM tape membrane over these areas and press on?
Old 03-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #26

Addressing the farm tarp to cover the RV causing rub places; not when properly held down. I used a farm tarp for perhaps 10 years to cover our first 5er. I used at least twice the number of elastic cords to hold it taut as compared to the number of grommets in the tarp. I used the "add-a-grommet" plastic removable type grommets and around 25 elastic cords to hold the 60'X20' farm tarp firmly in place. Never did discover any rub, wear, or blemish marks created by the tarp.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Addressing the farm tarp to cover the RV causing rub places; not when properly held down. I used a farm tarp for perhaps 10 years to cover our first 5er. I used at least twice the number of elastic cords to hold it taut as compared to the number of grommets in the tarp. I used the "add-a-grommet" plastic removable type grommets and around 25 elastic cords to hold the 60'X20' farm tarp firmly in place. Never did discover any rub, wear, or blemish marks created by the tarp.

I have mine covered with a tarp right now. Did the same thing; just used plenty of bungy cords.....I have a cover on order, but it hasn't come in yet
Old 03-16-2011, 05:19 AM   #28

Damon Owners Club
My local camping world (formally of Snellville Ga)offered to replace the roof on my old class C for $4000,
So I contacted Firestone in Atlanta and got a 100' roll of their thinest commercial membrane roof, a 5 gallon bucket of the roll on glue and a case of the caulk, Total $300, half day of tear off, clean up and repairs, the a day and a half to re-roof and caulk. using a base pay of $300 a day my cost (if I paid myself) $900, actual out of pocket was $300.
And I had enough left over to do 2 more!, I gave the left overs to a friend with older RV.
Mafiaman is offline   Reply With Quote