Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #15

We almost had to winter in our class A after Sandy hit last year . . . I was able to get a local propane delivery company set me up with a large tank that hooked right into my propane system. Might be worth investigating.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #16

darn ice dam

Click image for larger version

Name:	frozen door.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	51764

Old 12-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Call in sick?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #18

I'd only winter camp in a northwood manufacturing trailer (Artic Fox, Nash or outdoors RV).
Old 12-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
If you place a roll of straw bales end to end around the perimeter of the trailer
The CG doesn't allow straw. fire hazard and it attracts unwanted pests. An engineer at work hooked me up with some good foam insultation. Cost me a few bucks, but it's working good.

If I leave for more than a day, I unhook the city water, and drain the pipes.

But, if I want warm, the company has a branch in Monterrey, Mexico. With all the mexican banditos, I would need mucho big guns first.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #20

Temps are forecast in single digits for the next two nights in S. Indiana. Get ready_. Unless the LP furnace is running the holding tanks are un-heated. Open all cabinet doors where plumbing runs to help prevent freezing water lines. I can't remember if you installed holding tank heat-pads, they are expensive, and work.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #21

Keep us posted. Maybe start a new thread called something like "Living in my camper during the winter" or somthin. I'm enjoying your threads. Glad it's you and not me. I don't even like to leave the house in the winter. lol Of course we have not been above 20 degrees for a few weeks around here. Most nights are below zero. The high temp for today is 2. Oh, and take pictures of your set up and post them. Somebody else might want to learn from what you are doing.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
Keep us posted. Maybe start a new thread called something like "Living in my camper during the winter" or somthin. I'm enjoying your threads. Glad it's you and not me. I don't even like to leave the house in the winter. lol Of course we have not been above 20 degrees for a few weeks around here. Most nights are below zero. The high temp for today is 2. Oh, and take pictures of your set up and post them. Somebody else might want to learn from what you are doing.
Yeah that.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
Caveman's right, I'm taking notes- just in case that global warming thing doesn't pan out before the next ice age hits.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #24

update here

I really enjoy camping, and never seem to get enough time for it, so I am really enjoying myself.

The only time I can say I've been cold was when it got down to 9*. But that's because I am letting the space heater do all the work. The furance is only a back up heat source (the cold is cheap).

The pipes haven't froze since I insulated. I do leave the cabinet doors open all the time, but I don't leave a drip. I can't because the tanks and the sewer hose freezes. That was my next project. Heat tape and insulation around the sewer hose. So far, it's be thawing in enough to drain on it's own.

I do leave both tanks open, so they will drain when they can. I know this is a no-no, but my shower drains into my black, so it fills quickly. If the weather stays above freezing, I'll go back to the SOP.

After I insulated I use barely any propane. Just to cook and heat water, and I use the furance in the morning to take the chill off the floors. I inside temp is around 75* to 80* most the time to keep the floor from getting too cold. It's very toasty.

This week I bought a gel foam topper for the bed for a little better sleep. A must have.

Its a great experience. Everyone should give it a try at least once.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken90004 View Post
I do leave both tanks open, so they will drain when they can. I know this is a no-no, but my shower drains into my black, so it fills quickly.
When you get clogged up tight by the "pyramid of doom" and get skanked up cleaning it out, and also have a clogged slinky, you will dump only when there is much water in the black tank.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
When you get clogged up tight by the "pyramid of doom" and get skanked up cleaning it out, and also have a clogged slinky, you will dump only when there is much water in the black tank.
You have to understand that my black tank is plumbed different than most others, and that will change the dynamics. My black tank fills up with hot soapy water in 48 hrs of shutting the valve. So it does get flushed AND cleaned when the weather is above freezing for a few days. My immediate concerns is the valve freezing for several days.

If I try to hold it until it is filled, and it happens to be freezing outside at that time, the valve won't open, and I'll have a bigger issue.

Winter camping means I need to manage my tanks a little differently.

If it stayed below freezing then I'd probably need to find a way to heat the tanks and then stay with SOP. So far, this method has been working very for me.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With the trailer sealed up do you have problems with moisture condensing on the windows inside?
Old 12-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
With the trailer sealed up do you have problems with moisture condensing on the windows inside?
I have Frost King plastic on the windows. There is moisture, but nothing on the inside. I did leave one window untreated and I try to vent with fresh air when I can. I do keep an eye on the panels around the windows to make sure no mold or moisture damage. So far, so good. See how well it fares by the end of the winter. I am sure the worst of it, is yet to come.