Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2007, 09:24 AM   #1

My 7-way TT connector works fine at the truck, and with no TT hooked up, my truck's brake controller lights up as it should whenever I use the truck's brakes or whenever I manually apply TT brakes with the controller. But when I am hooked up, the light will only come on sometimes - so I only intermittently have TT brakes. There doesn't seem to be any pattern as to when the TT brakes are working. What are the most likely problems?
tinkerreknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2007, 09:24 AM   #2

My 7-way TT connector works fine at the truck, and with no TT hooked up, my truck's brake controller lights up as it should whenever I use the truck's brakes or whenever I manually apply TT brakes with the controller. But when I am hooked up, the light will only come on sometimes - so I only intermittently have TT brakes. There doesn't seem to be any pattern as to when the TT brakes are working. What are the most likely problems?
Old 08-22-2007, 10:04 AM   #3

tinkerreknit
What make of brake controller do you have?
My guess would be a short in the trailer brake wiring that is coming and going?

Tom

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0L 4.10
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:41 AM   #4

Hi Sunny! It's a Draw-Tite Activator. Do you know whither or not a short in that area would keep the controller's LED from lighting?
Old 08-22-2007, 11:42 AM   #5

Sounds like a short as stated , if your trailer has the brake wires run threw the inside of the axel thats the first place to remove and replace the wires ! I have found my trailer had the wires run threw the tube from left to right with nothing to support the wires inside so the vibration from the tires chewed threw the insulation in very few miles! Easy fix but just make sure you solder and srink tube your connections so your not doing it twice!
Old 08-22-2007, 01:30 PM   #6

I'd start from one end and work to the other...

Take the trailer's plug apart and look for frayed wires, loose connections inside, and/or corroded contacts. If it looks a little rough, replace it. They are cheap.

Look over where the trailer's wiring meets the wiring from the axles on the side of the frame. Some people use those little crimp taps when changing magnets, and if yours has those I'd get them off of there. As noted above, also check where the wires go into the axle.

If you haven't pulled the drums for repack and brake inspection in a while, you may as well do that. Sometimes the magnet wire can come unclipped from the arm and get chaffed.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:26 PM   #7

I have the same controler you have and had the same thing happen , mine was a poor ground on the TV . Disconnect the trailer from the TV then plug the trailer to the plug on the TV ,Do not let the trailer & TV touch It should ground through the plug the brakes shough work if not bad ground on TV or trailer . when hooked up it will ground through ball sometimes ,But grease on ball will cause a break in ground at times . This is what mine was doing on off .not a good feeling .But a cheep fix if this is the trouble if this does not do it then good luck on your search. RIDER
Old 08-23-2007, 08:09 AM   #8

I want to thank everyone for taking time to help me. I think I will check the ground points on the TT first thing, since almost all my trouble over the years has been with grounding - well except for the time my ex left me for a married man. But that's a different story. It might be a short while before I can report back, but I will keep checking here for new suggestions.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:23 AM   #9

Hey RIDER, I am wondering what you mean by "TV". I don't want to jump to conclusions.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:01 PM   #10

He means Tow Vehicle.

Tom

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0L 4.10
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:55 AM   #11

I wanted to get back to you guys and let you know what the problem was. It was a dirty ground wire connection on the TT. I plugged up without the TT touching the TV and everything worked fine - all the lights and brakes work fine unless I am rolling. Even though the connection to the TT frame didn't appear to be failing, I started there. I Dremmelled a shiny spot and re-attached the lug, then painted over the area. I have since towed quite a bit with no failure of the brakes. Wonderful! Thanks to everyone, again. Notice my signature now....