Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
electric hot water switch??

I am trying to turn on my hot water for the first time in a 2007 fleetwood mallard 31 foot, 2 slides....is it just gas or is there electric hot water also? I can not find the electric switch anywhere and need help...??thanks!

e2morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
I may not be the best authority, but since you asked...
I thought I had fried the electric element in our new TT and the kind folks on the AF/Nash forum helped me. My Arctic Fox 22H water heater has three areas to check. The first is on the outside of the WH behind the drop down door: an on/off switch almost hidden behind the gas feed tube. Second is the 110v switch on your trailer switch panel, usually close to the entrance. And the one I never thought about, the breaker switch in the fuse panel.

You must first ascertain if you have a gas, electric, or gas/electric model of WH. Don't give up until you've checked everything twice.

'09 Tundra pulling a '12 Arctic Fox 22H
MarkQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
You have to tell us what the model # is of the WH.
If it is in face electric (110VAC), there will for sure be a breaker for it, and an on/off switch either on the outside or inside of the coach on the WH. Third, it MIGHT have an on/off wall switch. Atwoods do, not all Suburbans do.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
Mine came with gas only. Miss the electric/gas one I had on my 5er. Was heating water every time I re-charged my batteries. Sometimes they put the switches wherever the is a vacant spot.
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
My brothers trailer has a gas/electric water heater. The switch to turn it on is outside the camper under the water heater door. It's difficult to see and even harder to reach behind the controls on the left side of the water heater.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
My 5er had that switch, but it also had one inside above the stove... right near the gas switch.
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
Are you sure you have 110volt electric heater? Look at the back of the heater on the INSIDE an see if there is a 110 cord and plug there.
2000 Monaco Diplomat 40PBD
2012 Grand Cherokee Limited
2008 FatBoy, three spoiled Great Danes and a cat.
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

There are three types of water heaters available for RVs. Propane only, 110/120 VAC electric only, and propane/electric.

My 2012 Skyline Joey 196 has the 6-gallon Atwood gas/electric DSI (direct spark ignition) water heater. There is a switch on the cabinet above the sink that lets me choose electric only, propane only, or both at the same time. Both at the same time is only for fast recovery, such as when two or more people need to shower. We usually keep ours on electric only, so it only heats water when the trailer is plugged into shore power. The "free" electric at the RV park is less expensive than having to refill propane tanks. But the propane is needed if boondocking without shore power or generator and you want hot water.

On mine, you can see almost all the connections by looking in the exterior water heater door. Mine is wired directly to the inverter without a plug, but maybe other or older brands are plugged into the inverter instead of wired in.

The main problem with a propane water heater is you have to be sure the gas lines are purged of all air so that gas is getting to the water heater burner. We do that by turning on the propane at the bottle, then lighting a burner on the kitchen stove. It might take a minute or so for gas instead of air to come out of the burner, so you have to keep the bar-b-que lighter going until the burner lights. Then turn on all the stovetop burners for a few seconds to be sure all the air is purged out of the gas lines.

My 2001 Keystone Sprinter 5er had a propane-only water heater. You had to be sure the gas was turned on, then it had an automatic pilot lighter. On that one too you could see all you needed to see via the outside door to the water heater. And yes, you had to purge the gas lines the first time you turned on the water heater after being in storage for awhile.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote