Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2014, 11:38 PM   #1

Electric ignition hot water heater wont light

My electric hot water igniter wont allow gas to come into the chamber. The igniter wont click and no gas is present. I have no idea what to do. Can I get rid of the electric ignite and install the old fashioned manual lighter

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2014, 12:53 AM   #2

Do you have an owners manual for the water heater and a voltmeter ?
Any other 12volt systems not operating?
Can you post the brand and model number of the heater ?
I'm pretty sure you can't go back to a manual control heater without replacing the whole tank.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:47 PM   #3

Don't degrade and get a pilot model.

There are simple things to check with a volt meter. You need model number and some knowledge to trouble shoot, they are easy.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:15 PM   #4

Make sure you have 12v working to get the igniter to work. Should be able to hear clicking of electrode.

When you get air into the lines (like when you refill tanks) it can be a pain to get LP back into them. I usually start at the stove's front burner and use a grill igniter to hold a flame to the burner while holding in the knob to the ignite position till it lights and stays lit. Once that is done, I then go to the water heater and flip on that switch. I can hear the electric igniter clicking. If it stops and I do not hear the burner (may have to have someone outside by it) I flip the switch off and on again. Need to purge the air out and it may take 3 times AFTER purging the stove and the main LP line on the RV. Otherwise, you are fighting a long battle to purge with only the water heater.

Oven and furnace take time to purge also. After doing the stove, I use the grill igniter in the oven to light the pilot there too.
NFlcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:33 PM   #5

When I first got my motor home going and wanted to get some gas on a rainy day I pulled into a HI V station and was gassing up under there awning. As you can guess I got board waiting for my pump to get done so I was thinking how the hot water heater has not come on yet. As I opened the door to the water heater I notice there was a little fuse. I garbed it to see if I could tell if it was blown. As I wiggled it, it came to life " Walla " Flames shoot down the tube and the hot water heater was working. As I suddenly realized where I was with flame shooting up into the bowels of the heater. I was about to have a movement myself.. I went in and turned off the heater. Problem was solved and I learned not to mess with fire at the gas station.....
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
You might have to reset the electronic board if it's had repeated failures to ignite. Check in your manual to find out how. If you don't have a manual, Google manufacturer and model to find one on line.

Also, it could be that hot water doesn't need heating. It's a water heater, not a HOT water heater.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:26 PM   #7

Suburban Sw6d is the water heater. I dont have a volt meter to check. Ive used a test light and im not showing power to the switch. I was told that the gas solenoid needs to know of theres gas present but my regulator doesnt have any wires coming out of it. Im so novice to this stuff...
Old 07-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Multimeters are free often at Harbor Freight, less than $20 at most hardware stores. It's cheaper than a service call and can be used for many things. A link to the manual is here:

http://dutchmen.com/image/data/docum...per_Manual.pdf

It does have to be shut off for 5 seconds after 3 tries. Have someone in RV turn on while you wait at the WH to listen for valve to come on and click of ignition.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-20-2014, 08:13 PM   #9

Ok, test light works too.

When you say switch; which switch? The one to turn on the gas side of the WH? If there's no power coming to it at all, there's the first problem to trace down. Are you sure you have good ground on the test light?

The gas valve does NOT know if gas is present or not.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Ok, test light works too.

When you say switch; which switch? The one to turn on the gas side of the WH? If there's no power coming to it at all, there's the first problem to trace down. Are you sure you have good ground on the test light?

The gas valve does NOT know if gas is present or not.
Theres only one switch. Then beside that is a red reset light. It hasnt turned on. Is there a way I can bypass all of the factory wiring and test it? I could care less about how it looka if it works.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:29 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisNuwa81 View Post
Theres only one switch. Then beside that is a red reset light. It hasnt turned on. Is there a way I can bypass all of the factory wiring and test it? I could care less about how it looka if it works.
You could use jumper wires from a good 12v source to the 12 v (+) wire in the water heater compartment. Ground should be O.K.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Here's a place to start - Atwood Water Heater Troubleshooting

On my Atwood I have two switches that need to be on. Please supply a brand and model number, was it working or not. Good luck in your search. Let us know how you are getting along with this.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:35 PM   #13

All the water heater needs is a 12V power source to the board. After that, it takes over.
I think you just need to find why you lost 12V power.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:37 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
All the water heater needs is a 12V power source to the board. After that, it takes over.
I think you just need to find why you lost 12V power.
I agree. Could be a bad fuse or bad switch.

Bob & Donna

Tags
heater, water, water heater