Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2016, 04:22 PM   #1

Electric stabilizer jack failure

I have an Evergreen 37' bunkhouse trailer with Lippert stabilizer jacks. While we were getting the rig ready for our summer trip we noticed that the forward jack did not run at all. Troubleshooting revealed that the motor was burned out. This happened because the control switch is located in the outside storage compartment. Apparently, the load in the compartment shifted and jammed the switch in the Retract position (the switch was actually damaged), probably while in motion. Fortunately, it jammed in Retract and not Extend! I would hate to think about what would happen if that came down while in motion.

Replacing this motor is not cheap, with prices as high as $360 (plus another $40 for a new switch). I found a motor on Ebay for $200 (lippert motor | eBay). While the mechanism is from Lippert the motor is a Klauber C-800. I also put a simple $3 outdoor switch cover over the new switch to prevent this from happening again. Also, the new switch is fused at 15A to protect the motor (neither jack motor is fused).

I regard the issue to be a safety hazard. I sent Evergreen an email, but got no response. After hearing that they have closed operations I know why. I submitted a complaint to NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration). They are also a good resource to find issues with your current rig or one you are considering buying (I found that Keystone had installed hundreds of axles backwards this way).

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2016, 06:02 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Remove the electric jacks and replace with manual jacks ($200 for 4). I have electric stabilizer jacks and added the manual jacks so I could actually stabilizer my trailer. No comparison, the manual jacks lower in 1/4 the time with zero noise if you use an electric drill (handy to have on a trailer for anything). Save youself some money, save the horrible noise and time it takes to lower the electric ones as well. If you have a bad back or something then I can see sticking with the electric variety.

This is just my opinion formed from my experience. I love the manual jacks. The electric jacks did a half-ass job of stabilizing our trailer. Your experience my vary.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmandt View Post
Remove the electric jacks and replace with manual jacks ($200 for 4). I have electric stabilizer jacks and added the manual jacks so I could actually stabilizer my trailer. No comparison, the manual jacks lower in 1/4 the time with zero noise if you use an electric drill (handy to have on a trailer for anything). Save youself some money, save the horrible noise and time it takes to lower the electric ones as well. If you have a bad back or something then I can see sticking with the electric variety.

This is just my opinion formed from my experience. I love the manual jacks. The electric jacks did a half-ass job of stabilizing our trailer. Your experience my vary.
I have to agree. I was going to put electric stabilizers but decided not to after researching online of all the troubles people have had with them. Mainly.. not stabilizing properly and of course breaking down.

Manual ones are so easy with a cordless drill. And even smoother after you spray some quick dry silicone lubricant. They glide down in about 4s.

I cringed at the thought of the op driving and the electric Jacks jamming with them coming down. Omg!! I can't even go there in my mind... too painful 😨😨

Hope this is sorted soon !
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote