Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #1

Electric Stabilizer Jacks...good or no..?

the "next" trailer I am considering has electric stabilizer jacks at each corner. Since I am getting older, the thought of pushing a switch seems attractive...

does anyone have electric jacks and either like them, or think they are "another" problem waiting to happen.......

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Electric Jacks

husk-
I installed electric jacks on a travel trailer. They worked great for leveling and stabilizing. You should inspect the installation as to how it was done. The company I bought the kit from was very helpful.
Have fun!
Milt

Old 05-11-2011, 12:10 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Mine work great. However a friend uses a rechargeable electric impact driver and socket to crank his mechanical stabilizer jacks up and down. His jacks don't seem to take any longer to deploy than my factory-installed units. Impact drivers are cheap. Maybe save yourself some money.
KTM Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:31 AM   #4
br9

We bought ours with elec. stabalizer jacks. And elec. tounge jack. So far no problems.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Guy View Post
Mine work great. However a friend uses a rechargeable electric impact driver and socket to crank his mechanical stabilizer jacks up and down. His jacks don't seem to take any longer to deploy than my factory-installed units. Impact drivers are cheap. Maybe save yourself some money.
yeah....I have been using an electric drill and 3/4" socket for years to run the manual stabilizers up and down on my present trailer.....the electric stabs come with the package on a new trailer we are considering....there are switches at each corner on the new unit..and while it's not a real big deal, I am getting older..and the thought of pushing a button is appealing.

I just wondered if people who have them, like them, or there are problems..
Old 05-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #6

Husk,

My 5th wheel came with electric rear stabilizers and generally the work fine. I did have one problem. I set up my trailer with the front jacks down and the rear stabilizers down. Then later on, decided the front of the trailer needed to come up quite a bit still so when I raised the front, the pressure on one of the electric stabilizers was too much and the support arms bent. Proper proceedure should have been to use the front jacks to get the trailer leveled first, then drop the stabilizers enough to take the sway out.

If adjustments need to be made after the fact, then reverse the procedure, raise the stabilizers then adjust the jacks. My rear electric stabilizers are Ultra Fab brand 22's but wish I had the larger ones - 33's which are a bit more stout.

Other than my mistake, they are very convenient and reliable.