Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2016, 11:32 AM   #29

Just to add to this, our power pole at our last trip to or favorite local state park ! The one next was ok with our meter ! Reported it to the office, but the same as the same problems ,twice before with other sites with no repairs !!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2182.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	129458  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2016, 01:04 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Just to add to this, our power pole at our last trip to or favorite local state park ! The one next was ok with our meter ! Reported it to the office, but the same as the same problems ,twice before with other sites with no repairs !!!!

No problem here. It's just "broke in"

Old 06-07-2016, 01:15 PM   #31

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Or maybe it's "pre-disastered"?
Old 06-07-2016, 03:34 PM   #32

Quote:
I see you are in Georgia. Which state park was that at? We recently had trouble at Crooked River.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:47 PM   #33

Quote:
@rideandslide - is that bottom hole a mouse condo? Cause' it certainly can't be a 30 amp RV electrical outlet.
Then again I'm sure it can be marketed as camper tested and ready for service.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:49 AM   #34

X2 on what Dr4Film said. I just put in the hard wired Progressive Industries surge protector with EMS and remote display in my new Jayco 23RLSW.

If you are familiar with AC voltage it's very simple to install.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1111.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	129628
Old 06-09-2016, 10:00 AM   #35

Just want to add this unit has a lifetime warranty and is modular in design with plug in circuit boards for easy repair.

LIST PRICE IS $300 BUT PICKED IT UP FOR $208 ON JET.COM W/FREE SHIPPING & NO TAX.

http://
Old 06-09-2016, 11:17 AM   #36

Progressive Industries surge gaurd. Never plug in without it no matter where I am. Cheap investment considering. Sorry to read this. Terrible
Old 06-09-2016, 06:05 PM   #37

ssilence Bingo on Crooked River !
Old 06-09-2016, 06:25 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknj View Post
It just happened today and haven't called him yet. I wanted to get my blood pressure back first. Yes licensed electrician with insurance. And yes I will be filing a claim. I just checked the TV and blue ray. They seem to work. The refer and the ac is what I'm really worried about now. The microwave is an easy replacement.
How sad. I don't like the sound of things. I have installed many of the 30 and 50A services. The 30A is polarity sensitive. The hot and neutral can be easily reversed at the outlet. Some devices are more sensitive to this reversal than others. Is the service breaker a single or double? If a double the electrician really missed the boat. If a single he didn't do his homework before installing your 30A service.

Take a look at this: http://www.myrv.us/Imgs/PDF/30-amp%20Service.pdf

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:55 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
How sad. I don't like the sound of things. I have installed many of the 30 and 50A services. The 30A is polarity sensitive. The hot and neutral can be easily reversed at the outlet. Some devices are more sensitive to this reversal than others. Is the service breaker a single or double? If a double the electrician really missed the boat. If a single he didn't do his homework before installing your 30A service.

Take a look at this: http://www.myrv.us/Imgs/PDF/30-amp%20Service.pdf

Rick Y
Update - had the electrician over yesterday. The polarity was backwards at the outlet which was problem 1 and the next big problem was they used a double breaker. Seems to be ok now based on meter readings. The rv goes into service next week. Hopefully not too much damage. Im also going to inquire about hardwiring in some sort of protection so this doesn't happen again. What a crazy experience this has been. Thanks everyone for all your support and advice. It makes dealing with issues a lot easier.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:24 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknj View Post
Update - had the electrician over yesterday. The polarity was backwards at the outlet which was problem 1 and the next big problem was they used a double breaker. Seems to be ok now based on meter readings. The rv goes into service next week. Hopefully not too much damage. Im also going to inquire about hardwiring in some sort of protection so this doesn't happen again. What a crazy experience this has been. Thanks everyone for all your support and advice. It makes dealing with issues a lot easier.
I am not buying all of what you were told. Refer to the drawing link in my last post. Polarity is only a problem IF you are wired to 120VAC. It sounds like the electrician wired the outlet to a 240VAC service. In this case he most likely wired the neutral to the ground lug and ground to the socket mounting. The other two lugs were hot.

Here is the bottom line: Any damage to your rig IS the direct fault of the electrician. He must step up to the plate and accept financial responsibility. Your insurance should not be involved. He wired your 30A/120VAC (standard 30A RV outlet service) to 240VAC. You had the potential of being physically harmed by electrocution on this one. Your frame was wired to 120VAC at some point. I don't know if your breaker ever tripped. It should have at some point. There is no debate here. You must be compensated and if he is licensed he has liability insurance.

I thank God for you and your family not being harmed.

Please keep us posted.

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:35 AM   #41

Hi Rick and thanks for the clarification. It was definitely 220 wired. He didnt argue at all just send him the bill for any damages. When i get the bill i will share with this thread along with pics of the hopefully proper meter readings. Thanks again.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:47 AM   #42

I had an electrician wire my home RV plug. When i was setting up the work I told him 100 times it was a 30amp service for an RV not a dryer. After the 99th time a light bulb went off in his head and he said ...humm, I understand what you want. I have a feeling he was thinking dryer and not RV at 1st.

Tags
electrical, power, shore power