Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2016, 09:56 AM   #43

I purchased a new house that had full hookups on the side of the house.30a, 50a and sewer dump. I parked my TT and proceeded to plug into the 30a without checking voltage 1st. It was wired 240v. Had to replace microwave and the invertor. Expensive lesson for having an electrical background

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2016, 11:14 AM   #44

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
There is no magic formular to RV cords. The guy hooked 240 volts to a 120 volt outlet.

This is not a simple mistake, you need to run extra wire and install a double breaker in the panel.

That outlet doesn't even have a ground. Did he tape it off ?

An amateur who reads the writing on the outlet would see this.
You are correct that he wired 220 instead of 110. He does not need any more wire. The guy used a double 220 volt breaker and used the ground wire as the neutral. He has a three wire setup. He does not need a double breaker. It uses a simple 30 amp single breaker.
This a very common problem. We had it happen to several of our customers. The average elec. guy looks at this outlet and automatically thinks of 220 volts. One word of advice. Take pictures of the circuit breaker and a picture of the 220 voltage between the two slanted receptacles. The guy might be honest are he may try to lie out of it.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:39 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
You are correct that he wired 220 instead of 110. He does not need any more wire. The guy used a double 220 volt breaker and used the ground wire as the neutral. He has a three wire setup. He does not need a double breaker. It uses a simple 30 amp single breaker.
This a very common problem. We had it happen to several of our customers. The average elec. guy looks at this outlet and automatically thinks of 220 volts. One word of advice. Take pictures of the circuit breaker and a picture of the 220 voltage between the two slanted receptacles. The guy might be honest are he may try to lie out of it.
I say that because I understand that electricians and can no longer wire 240 volt "receptacles" with 3 wires due to changes in the code.

I've read that the requirements for range and dryer receptacles is now a 4 wire systems.

Could be wrong.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:16 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dryers and ranges have both 120V and 240V circuits in them. That's why a 3 conductor with ground cable is required. It must have a neutral return wire for the 120V side of life. Other 240V items, such as a water heater or my air compressor can use a 2 conductor with ground cable.
Rockwood27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:04 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
Dryers and ranges have both 120V and 240V circuits in them. That's why a 3 conductor with ground cable is required. It must have a neutral return wire for the 120V side of life. Other 240V items, such as a water heater or my air compressor can use a 2 conductor with ground cable.
In any case, this topic is only about RV shore power. It is critical that any electrician hired to do this type of installation have a good and clear understanding of what he is doing. The above posts testify to some of the results for this failed understanding.

I am glad that the OP has a good electrician who is willing to accept that he screwed up and is willing to cover his mistake with more than words and a change of a few wires.

In my original post I did think "4 wire" but the same problem is true with 3 wire, as seen here. Because the neutral can find it's way back to the chassis through the appliances the frame of the RV can become hot in this mis-situation. ouch!

Now, if this had been a 50A service with a30A adapter all would have been well.

The 30A receptical can be either 120 or 240V wired because it is generic and can be used in other applications. Welders is one example I can think of off the top of my head.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:15 AM   #48

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post

The 30A receptical can be either 120 or 240V wired because it is generic and can be used in other applications. Welders is one example I can think of off the top of my head.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
This is incorrect. The receptacle is clearly marked 30 amp 120 volts. It also says for RV and travel trailer service. The welder receptacle is three prong but is different. I have installed several of these. If you look closely at post 10 and 29. You will see imprinted on the plug 30 amp 120 volt For recreation vehicles only.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:02 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

This is incorrect. The receptacle is clearly marked 30 amp 120 volts. It also says for RV and travel trailer service. The welder receptacle is three prong but is different. I have installed several of these. If you look closely at post 10 and 29. You will see imprinted on the plug 30 amp 120 volt For recreation vehicles only.
You are absolutely correct to call his post out.

There is a HUGE difference between the 30 amp 120 VAC RV Outlet and the next closest outlet that resembles it which is the NEMA 7-50 Female Black 277 Volt 50 Amp receptacle.

Photos below.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3917-30AmpSocket.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	129932  
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2016, 04:17 PM   #50

Quote:
See my post #23.

What puzzles me is that folks can't even attach 3 freaking wires without calling a know nothing electrician.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:02 PM   #51

@lynnmor - im the original poster and although it was only 3 simple wires for the rv receptical, in order to get there I needed an electrician to upgrade and replace my entire electrical panel and upgrade my service in order to make room for the 3 simple wires. My original electrical panel was full. Now i can add the other circuits to the new panel for non-RV purposes as planned. Wed i take the rv in for service and we all learn what the damage is. It's been a learning experience all around.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:12 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
See my post #23.

What puzzles me is that folks can't even attach 3 freaking wires without calling a know nothing electrician.
No need be rude. I don't do wires. I hire it out. Not a damn thing wrong with that. Get over it and get off your pedestal

OP - good call
Old 06-12-2016, 08:14 PM   #53

Quote:
See my post #23.

😨😨Lil harsh lynnmor ... play nicely lol ) ...On the surface ... easy ...but the op needed much more work upgrading the service of the home before installing the 30A outlet.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:27 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
No need be rude. I don't do wires. I hire it out. Not a damn thing wrong with that. Get over it and get off your pedestal

OP - good call
X2!
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:09 AM   #55

Quote:
See my post #23.

As my wife is fond of pointing out "not everyone knows what you know". I know a French professor at a local college that can't change a light bulb, but I can't speak French either.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:12 AM   #56

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
How sad. I don't like the sound of things. I have installed many of the 30 and 50A services. The 30A is polarity sensitive. The hot and neutral can be easily reversed at the outlet. Some devices are more sensitive to this reversal than others. Is the service breaker a single or double? If a double the electrician really missed the boat. If a single he didn't do his homework before installing your 30A service.

Take a look at this: http://www.myrv.us/Imgs/PDF/30-amp%20Service.pdf

Rick Y
I especially liked the note in red at the bottom of the link. Snagged it for future use. Thanks for sharing it.

Tags
electrical, power, shore power