Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2016, 09:18 AM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
This is incorrect. The receptacle is clearly marked 30 amp 120 volts. It also says for RV and travel trailer service. The welder receptacle is three prong but is different. I have installed several of these. If you look closely at post 10 and 29. You will see imprinted on the plug 30 amp 120 volt For recreation vehicles only.
My error. The spare I have is marked on the box 30A/125V. I believe this style plug was allowed by code to be 30A/240V many, many years ago. I, once again, may be mistaken. I may be getting it confused with an industrial application plug. Thanks for keeping me honest and the topic on track.

Rick Y

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2016, 09:23 AM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
No need be rude. I don't do wires. I hire it out. Not a damn thing wrong with that. Get over it and get off your pedestal

OP - good call
Your observation here is right on the money. Save RUDE for your family reunion, if you must be rude. It has no place here. This is supposed to be a safe place to get help. I vote for keeping it that way by checking our bad attitudes off the keyboard.

Rick Y

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 06-14-2016, 09:23 AM   #59

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
My error. The spare I have is marked on the box 30A/125V. I believe this style plug was allowed by code to be 30A/240V many, many years ago. I, once again, may be mistaken. I may be getting it confused with an industrial application plug. Thanks for keeping me honest and the topic on track.

Rick Y
Rick: All of us are wrong at one time or another. There was only one perfect man and we know what they did to him. (something about a cross and some nails) I don't post about peoples mistakes to be a know it all. It is about misinformation online. If someone post wrong answers and it goes online. It becomes GOSPEL. There were several three prong 220 volt outlets. That is why so many people look at the three prong big recpt. and think 220 volts. The RV recpt. was always a 110 outlet. It was designed for rec. vehicles only. It has been installed wrong so many times, they mark the recept. and the box 30 amp, 120 volts, recreation vehicle use.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:12 PM   #60

Thumbs down Related question - 30 or 50 Amp

Kind of related question. I'm getting a new TT which is setup for 50 amp. I'm thinking about putting in an outside tap for getting the refer cool before taking a trip and to also enable use of the TT for visitors. Do I really need to run 50 amps out or would a 30 amp outlet do the job. One positive for th 50 amp, it would be harder to screw up the wiring....

Al
Old 06-14-2016, 04:50 PM   #61

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I would go with the 50 if you have the room for that breaker. Minimal additional cost. You will be able to cool it too with the 50 and would probably be limited at that with the 30.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:23 PM   #62

Everyone is capable of making a mistake. The outlet was clearly marked as to the correct voltage it needed. Sounds like the guy is taking care of his mistake.
On the other hand just because you can hook up three wires doesn't mean your an electrician.
I have been on many service calls and hear this. "I have a friend that's an electrician. He's not licensed but knows what he's doing."

Better yet when you see a better Homes and Gardens book to home wiring on the coffee table I just ask. Tell me where you've been and be honest and this will be waaay cheaper. Lol
Old 06-14-2016, 06:34 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by gateaux01 View Post
Everyone is capable of making a mistake. The outlet was clearly marked as to the correct voltage it needed. Sounds like the guy is taking care of his mistake.
On the other hand just because you can hook up three wires doesn't mean your an electrician.
I have been on many service calls and hear this. "I have a friend that's an electrician. He's not licensed but knows what he's doing."

Better yet when you see a better Homes and Gardens book to home wiring on the coffee table I just ask. Tell me where you've been and be honest and this will be waaay cheaper. Lol
Agreed. Mistakes happen. It's part of life. It's how things are dealt with afterwards that marks the depth and integrity of someone.

Sounds Iike the op did the right thing and went through proper channels to get it rectified. And the installer has stepped up and dine the right thing. Respect!

Hope this is cleared up soon and hope the damage is limited and minor.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:26 PM   #64

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
I would go with the 50 if you have the room for that breaker. Minimal additional cost. You will be able to cool it too with the 50 and would probably be limited at that with the 30.

Sorry not sure how my reply ended up here, wrong thread. Maybe a monitor can remove it.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-15-2016, 08:59 AM   #65

Is your "ELECTRICIAN " or his insurance, going to pay for the repairs ?
Old 06-15-2016, 09:56 AM   #66

@rideandslide - i dont know the answer to your question other than he agreed to pay the cost. The rv is now in the shop and hope to have an estimate of damage by tomorrow. My fingers are crossed ot minimal. I also requested an estimate to install a surge protector so this type incident doesnt happen again.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:55 AM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Rick: All of us are wrong at one time or another. There was only one perfect man and we know what they did to him. (something about a cross and some nails) I don't post about peoples mistakes to be a know it all. It is about misinformation online. If someone post wrong answers and it goes online. It becomes GOSPEL. There were several three prong 220 volt outlets. That is why so many people look at the three prong big recpt. and think 220 volts. The RV recpt. was always a 110 outlet. It was designed for rec. vehicles only. It has been installed wrong so many times, they mark the recept. and the box 30 amp, 120 volts, recreation vehicle use.
Thank you for the correction, my brother. It is so easy to start misinformation, with all good intentions in place, by a mistype or confused expression of a good thought. Only the arrogant prideful, hopeless ones, are offended when held accountable. "The truth will set you free".

Though this outlet is marked as it is, home shop welders have been known to use it on 220v for their equipment. It will work, true, but it is not code. The confusing factor on the 30A RV receptacle is that the terminals are not color coded as is the case with a 15 or 20A receptacle. Nor are the terminal sizes different to force polarity correction.

Each time I wire a 30A service I must refer to a drawing. Some manufactures mark the terminals, but not all. And in some circumstances the marking are hard to read. The burden of correctly wiring these is mine when my hands are involved. Do it right. Do it once. Save the RV equipment.

Happy trails,
Rick
Old 06-15-2016, 12:15 PM   #68

You seem to be missing a neutral.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:47 AM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithers View Post
You seem to be missing a neutral.
I know there is a lot to read on this thread. Bottom line: His electrician wired his new 30A service to 240vac. His neutral was wired to 120v. Yup. His neutral was missing.

Rick Y
Old 06-20-2016, 12:25 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fisher View Post
Just want to add this unit has a lifetime warranty and is modular in design with plug in circuit boards for easy repair.

LIST PRICE IS $300 BUT PICKED IT UP FOR $208 ON JET.COM W/FREE SHIPPING & NO TAX.
I'm pee....oed. I recently paid $222 (free shipping and no tax) at Tweetys and thought I was getting the best deal I could find.

Charles

2007 Winnebago View 523H, 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dynamics PD4645, Chill Grille, Fanstatic Fan Ultrabreeze, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, power, shore power