Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #1

electrical issues - fans/lights inop

i have a 07 dutchmen adirondack. I am having problems with my interior lights and fans. half of the inside lights work and half dont but its random lights. In my converter box I have 5 l.e.d lights light up but all the fuses seem to be good. any ideas where I can start?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #2

If you are on shore power start at the breaker box. Find the breakers for the outlets that are not working. Trip the breakers on and off to see if that clears the problem. Next, if that does not work find all your GFIC outlets and make sure they are not tripped. If you are on battery power of course you know the 110 outlets and lights will not work.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #3

yes, I am on shore power, and I reset all the breakers but i didnt check the GFCI's. I havent checked all my plug ins but the ones i have tried are working. I was wondering if my coverter could be going bad or not? it just confuses me that all the fuses are good but the l.e.d is still lit up on those 5. I may have two lights in a row work and one not or like in my bathroom neither work and the fan doesnt but in my bedroom one light works, two doesnt and the vent fan wont.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #4

Sometimes when you connect to shore power the AMP draw will trip the GFIC circuits. Be sure you find them all. Bathroom and kitchen for sure and I do not know where else there might be one. They are located in the plug in receptacles.If you are plugged in at home and not on 30 AMP that is where your problem is. Hope this helps
Old 06-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #5

thanks so much for the info. i will try it this evening!
Old 06-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #6

got all the lights working and everything seems to be fine. Only question I have left is that in my converter box I still have the l e d's still lit up like its showing an open curcuit somewhere. Is this normal being that everything is working but the lights are still on?
Old 06-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jason2224, When you tripped the GFIC breaker, did you get your lights back at that time ?
Old 06-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #8

yes, but the l e d's stayed on
Old 06-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Are you talking these LEDs are the ones by each 12v fuse? They light up if that 12v circuit is down. GFIs are for the 120v circuits and are not related, except one of them will be powering the converter.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #10

yes, that is correct. it is the lights next to the fuses in the converter. but I dont seem to have an issue with them as far as something not working, the lights are just on. I have only had the trailer a few days so I havent went through everything and I dont know alot about travel trailers so there may be something wrong that I dont kn0w about
Old 06-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2224 View Post
yes, that is correct. it is the lights next to the fuses in the converter. but I dont seem to have an issue with them as far as something not working, the lights are just on. I have only had the trailer a few days so I havent went through everything and I dont know alot about travel trailers so there may be something wrong that I dont kn0w about
Just to be clear, the actual converter is usually just a box with an inbound 120v line and one outbound 12v line to power the TT and charge the battery. Then you have a circuit board the 12v fuses are plugged into with adjacent LEDs to indicate a problem.

I'ver never owned a TT, so we may be talking different things. If you only have a few LEDs lit while others are not, that certainly would indicate you have some non-working circuits. If everything 12v in the TT is working, then I'm stumped at this point.

I suppose you could just test all 12v lights and powered items for proper operation. It's also possible that those lit circuits are just not used in the coach, but doubtful. You could pull a non-lit fuse too see if that LED lights, that would at least confirm that they work as I believe. Also remember, some 120v items still need and use a 12v control system. This would be an LP water heater, furnace, fridge and AC unit. There may be another for smoke, propane and C02 detectors. Hopefully someone will be along with a similar TT.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #12

yes, we are on the same page. the led's are on the circuit board next to the fuses and if you pull out a fuse with a light that is off, it will come on, I assume it thinks the fuse is blown and is an indicator of such. water heater works, hadnt tried the funrnace, a/c and fridge all work and as far as i can tell all the plugins are good. there is a detail of what each fuse goes too but what they go to seems to be working. Im just concerned about a short and it catching on fire or something to that nature. i can deal with the lights being on but i would like to fix the problem If I can find the issue. Thanks for all the imput. It is very helpful
Old 06-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Yep, we're on the same page and yes the light goes on to let you know which fuse has blown. On mine, it also indicates a break in that circuit (same thing). First time it happned, I lost 12v to my 12v TV, but the fuse was good. I later found a ground wire came loose.

Hmmm... I'm thinking board may have gone a bit haywire. If you find a mfgr or a part number on it, could maybe ask the mfgr about this. It if says: RV Custom Products on it, I have their contact info.

I wouldn't be too concerned about a fire with 12v for the most part and each circuit is protected with a fuse. However, it would drive me nutz not to know what's causing it.

Only other thought and a big guess, is perhaps there is low voltage on those circuits due to bad grounds and that particular board can sense that. All the white ground wires should come into a grounding block near the board area. Make sure all those are tight. Wouldn't hurt either to check connections on the main ground cable/strap there and on the coach frame. These should be checked periodically anyway.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #14

Thanks so much for all the info. Checking all the grounds will be my next step, and yes i can live with the lights on but it will bug me also until I get it figured out. I will update as I go along. Again, thanks!

Tags
electrical