Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2012, 05:34 AM   #1

Electrical problem please help......

Hi all, thanks for reading the following question. I have a 2006 25 foot wildwood travel trailer and if I use the heavy black 30amp cord the trailer came with and plug it direct to house power or generator power with the 30amp to 20amp step down adapter it trips the generator breaker switch, then if i try adding a 100foot standard household extension cord to the 30 amp cord by means of an adapter the trailer and generator works fine but its very limited what you can run inside the trailer. I would like to be able to use just the heavy black cord by itself for the reasons itís plenty long enough as well as I would like to have the extra power for the obvious reasons. I have tried replacing the 3 prong 30 amp cord and it made no difference as well I tried a different adapter and no change. If it wasnít for adding the 100 foot cord to the black 25 foot 30amp cord I would not even be able to get any ac power so I donít understand what roll the 100 foot cord has in this. We throughly tested the generator on other very heavy equipment and it is working great. I thank you all for any advice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2012, 06:27 AM   #2

I cannot run the air on my unit when plugged to house circuit. Also it takes a pretty big generator to run AC. If you havent tried yet turn the air off and try the standard 30amp cord with adapter and see what happens. The 100ft cord is sitting there heating up the whole time the air trys to run. It will eventually trip the breaker if air is left on too long

Old 07-16-2012, 06:28 AM   #3

Sounds like you have tested all of the variables. 1. You replaced the cord 2. tried a different adapter. It might a transfer switch that is not operating properly that is causing the generator breaker to trip.

The addition of the 100' cord would create a voltage drop across the line reducing the amount of voltage.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:41 AM   #4

Try turning off all your breakers inside the trailer and see what happens with the generator...Then turn them back on one at a time...Maybe you have more electrical loads than the generator can handle at startup. What size generator...
Old 07-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #5

The genertator is a newer 5600 watt honda, the trailer is a stock trailer with no upgrades and I was wondering if the transfer switch would be located sonwhere in the breaker box location of the trailer. I am going to try replaceing the ciruct breakers in the trailer this weekend and will post the results maybe there weak. Thanks for all the ideas hope to sort this out soon.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosses View Post
if i try adding a 100foot standard household extension cord to the 30 amp cord by means of an adapter the trailer and generator works fine but its very limited what you can run inside the trailer..
If you are plugging into a 20 amp circuit at the house, you will be limited to 2400 watts. The 30 amp circuit in your trailer will limit you to 3600 watts. I would be interested in what you are running when plugged into the house circuit as apposed to the generator. The longer the cord you use will also eat up the available wattage to the trailer. (due to the resistance of the cord itself) I had to run a 30 amp dedicated line to the side of the house to power the trailer while parked in the drive way, as my wife likes to use the air conditioner when fussing around in the trailer after and before our outings. I also found out that when plugged into a 30 amp circuit, that the air conditioner, water heater, and hair dryer will trip the breaker in a New York minute. (I forgot about OHMS law, and did not explain it to my wife) Now we all know that the water heater runs all by its self, or on gas when the air is required. and the hair dryer runs all by its self..Happy travels and be safe..
Old 07-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I might be missing something here but your trailer probably does not have a transfer switch. The generator is a standalone, correct? As far as shore power are you saying some breaker is tripping there when you plug in directly?

In any case, find your converter/charger and unplug it if possible and if not at least turn all breakers off in the TT. Plug the cord in and start the generator. If it runs then turn one breaker on at a time. Your generator may have a ground fault protector and it senses an issue in the TT that really may not be a true fault. If you get to the point that only the converter is causing the thing to trip there are some previous posts you can search for that might help.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think YC1 is on the right track with some fault protection within the genny is tripping and taking it off-line.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You forgot to tell us how big the breaker on the generator is: What happens is when you use that 100' cord the voltage to the trailer is reduced, thus the current is reduced and it appears it is just enough.

When you first connect TURN OFF EVERYTHING, let the batteries charge for a while.. In my RV just the converter can suck as much as 1,000 watts, (In fact slightly more) if the batteries are low. Then as they charge it "Tapers off" down to a very low figure when fully charged.

If the generator is not at least 2,000 watts you are limited to lights, radio/tv and related stuff only, NO microwafve or air conditioner, Microwavfe itself draws aroudn 1,000, Air conditioners and wate rheater more.

The rules
20 amps, ONE big ticket item (A/C, Microwave, Space heater, Water heater Converter with dead batteries, and electric cooking appliances, hair dryers and the like.)

30 amps TWO big items (See above list)

50 amps "All you can eat"

Televisoins and the like do not draw much power, so should not trip the breaker, but enough small ones, well they add up.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:04 AM   #10

ok i changed the 3 ac breakers and no change. I dissconscted the batteries then started to go through the breakers and two of the six would trip the generator breaker .I tried to dissconnect the unit with the fan on it thwn realy no much would run of the stand alone generator. I hooked the batteries back up then then no breakers pop and all works fine so long as i use the 30 amp connected to my 100 foot extension cord. If i take the 100 foot cord out then even with the batteries installed it trips the generator. Do you guys think i should replace the unit with the fan on it and it may solve my issue so i can just use my short 25 foot 30 amp cord. Thank you.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are the breakers GFCI type (not that they should be for a generator but who knows, Some places get GFCI feaver)

Did you break the round pin off the plug on the extension cord?

If the answer to both is yes, we have a clue.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #12
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
1. post picture of generator face and what breaker is tripping.
2. post picture of both ends of extension cord
3. If you are also plugging into the house, please send picture of that outlet and of whatever breaker is tripping.
4. post picture of the adaptor you are using
5. Find your inverter/charger and find out how it is powered. If by an ac cord, unplug it while testing. Also post the model number here so we can look up the schematic.
6. If you happen to have a multimeter post a picture of the front, close up.
7. I suspect the inverter/charger is causing an issue but without more information it is impossible to guess. Throwing money and parts at it is not the way to go. Once the information is available I bet one of us would be glad to give you a call and walk you through it. Trying to solve an issue like this over the net is near impossible. Often one little clue given by the way a question is posed will get to the root.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #13

So guys this weekend I tried to break the brass ground ends from the adapters and all the cords and that completely solved the problem. My generator is a construction type of portable generator and it does have a GFI and the GFI was the (breaker) switch that kept on popping to the off position. I guess my last question to end my post is it safe to run the power through the cords the way I have modified the by busting of the ground prong. Thank you all for your help as this was a very frustrating experience. THANK YOU!
Old 07-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
We had a similar problem with our 30' Terry TT and what we did to solve it was have a local electrician install a dedicated 30amp power supply with a weather-proof box within reach of our TT power cord. Since then, we have had no problems with the TT parked in our driveway and we can run pretty much everything without issue(s). This cost us about $150 and was very well worth the investment.

Tags
electrical