Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
Electrical question

This my first post and there seems to be a lot of great info here but have a question I can't find a straight answer to, actually several questions.
First- I have a Magnetek 6332 converter charger. I want to upgrade but what is easiest way and what are my limits on amp increase?
Second- I would like to install another AC breaker but there are no more slots. Can I just trim out another one and install extra breaker?
Third- I like the "Mighty Mini" but is that an entire replacement unit to my existing magnetek 6332?

I'm not an electrician but I have a friend who is but he isn't familiar with TT wiring options. I plan on making several mods to my rig but this one seems to be the major one I need to do first.

Jasonburden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Upgrading Magnetek 6300... Very good idea.

Amps limit.. Depends on the batteries believe it or not.. Figure out the amp hour capacity of your batteries.. The following is approximate for NON-OPTIMA batteries

Group 24... About 75 amp hours
Group 27 90
Group 29 100
Group 31 120
Pairs of six volt golf car batteries 220

For optima multiply by zero point six (0.6) so the G-29 would be 60

Figure out the amp hour capacity of your battery bank.. Multiply that by 0.3 (30%) and that is the range you shoot for with your converter.. NOTE: you won't hit it exact and an amp or two OVER should be OK (IE: For my golf car batteries (220 amp hour) .3 times that is 66 amp hours... The converter in the house (Factory installed) is 80.

Adding a breaker.

There are two considerations: IF, there are block out pieces (or break out) in the panel and there is additional bus bar behind them.. Yes.

Else, visit Lowes or Home depot or your favorite hardware and they have dual-half breakers.

Each half is 1/2 the physical size of a standard breaker, Thus the two of them together take up one standard breaker slot.. But give you two circuits on the same leg.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
The better converters can be set for the specific parameters of your battery bank (size, quantity, type). Because of this, a converter that is larger than the minimum size needed can be installed with no harm to your current bank, but allow you to upgrade your batteries later and not have to replace the converter. The larger converter will probably run cooler with your current configuration and also have a higher capacity inverter function.
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
While I am aware that many larger Inverter/Chargers provide the ability to configure them for a battery bank, I have not seen any converter/charges that provide that ability. Do you have an example of a converter/charger that can be configured?

Dave in Virginia
1978 Winnebago Chieftain
Dodge M400 - 440-3
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote