Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #15

Have Thor got a users forum. Might also be worth posting on other forums that have dedicated brand or type forums such as Open Roads
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #16

Smile Electrolysis and your trailer

It has been awhile since I asked about electrolysis and aluminum sided trailers. I want to thank all of you who answered and I learned a lot from your replies. I want to give an update on how my insurance company handled electrolysis. After contacting the company who made my trailer (Thor) they said too bad so sad, so I called my insurance company again and got ahold of a supervisor. Long story short, my insurance company is covering electrolysis as a comprehensive loss and my trailer is totaled. My insurance company is ARRP Hartford, what else can I say but that I am one happy camper who will stay with Hartford. http://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/dance.gif
1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:37 AM   #17
Community Administrator

Thanks for the update. Glad it worked out for you.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:46 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I always wondered if anyone had experienced any electrolysis problems from the way Keystone makes their coaches; especially with aluminum walls and steel rafters with no insulation barrier between the metals.
Maybe yours wasn't a keystone but it was a THOR and you're the first one I've read about.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodburner View Post
I always wondered if anyone had experienced any electrolysis problems from the way Keystone makes their coaches; especially with aluminum walls and steel rafters with no insulation barrier between the metals.
Maybe yours wasn't a keystone but it was a THOR and you're the first one I've read about.
Our trailer is a 2002 Komfort, made by THOR, Komfort is now made by Dutchman. Dutchman also gave me the brush off, they didn't make my trailer so they were on firm ground. We really like our Komfort, still do for many reasons, but THOR dropped the ball by failing to treat the aluminum. Our Komfort is a wood framed trailer which makes this issue more disturbing. THOR stopped making Komforts and I heard the Komforts were having some issues but I never did find out what it was, think I know now, though I have never heard of many problems with Komfort, that is one reason we bought one. Thanks for the heads up on Keystone, even if they treat the aluminum, it should have a barrier between the metals, and metal fasteners (unless aluminum) should not come in direct contact with the aluminum. I doubt Keystone is using stainless steel. If anyone out there is looking at purchasing an aluminum sided trailer I would ask some questions as to how the aluminum skin is treated, types of fasteners, how the metals are separated and so on.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:20 AM   #20

My 20' enclosed International trailer has a steel frame and steel inner structure. The outside panels are aluminum and held on with SS screws. There is no sign of electrolysis anywhere and I don't see anything between the panels and inner support framework. I almost want to say that road vibration alone would keep anything from sticking together.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
My 20' enclosed International trailer has a steel frame and steel inner structure. The outside panels are aluminum and held on with SS screws. There is no sign of electrolysis anywhere and I don't see anything between the panels and inner support framework. I almost want to say that road vibration alone would keep anything from sticking together.
You were burning the midnight oil. Can't sleep? Take care friend..
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #22

I sleep like a yo-yo, but seriously, I'm in AZ and I've never seen the electrolysis problem on enclosed trailers, MHs or camping trailers. It may happen in wet or salty environments, though.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Correct me if I'm wrong; but isn't Dutchmen owned by THOR?
There should be some sort of relief from THOR as it IS their company.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:18 PM   #24

Quote:
I sleep like a yo-yo, but seriously, I'm in AZ and I've never seen the electrolysis problem on enclosed trailers, MHs or camping trailers. It may happen in wet or salty environments, though.
I am in N. Ca. and not many around here have heard about it or have seen it. I think I ruled out a bad ground as the cause, I cleaned up the ground and moved it. I disconnected the batteries, no electrical current to the trailer and the process continued. I only found one guy (on the internet) that had the same damage as me. The damage on his trailer began on both sides at the top front corner of his trailer. The article was in 2011. The agent at Hartford was very familiar with it and called it a manufacturing defect, but Hartford covered it.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #25

I borrowed a truck camper once and all the tail and stop lights had poor grounds. I wonder if your's is grounding through the skin.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodburner View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong; but isn't Dutchmen owned by THOR?
There should be some sort of relief from THOR as it IS their company.
You are right, Dutchmen is one of THOR Industries trailer manufacturers. Komfort was made by THOR in 2002, they built it. When we had some issues come up while we were on trips, THOR did us right, no complaints, now 10 years later.......
Old 04-25-2013, 12:03 AM   #27

Quote:
I borrowed a truck camper once and all the tail and stop lights had poor grounds. I wonder if your's is grounding through the skin.
Stray Current Corrosion, that is what the mechanic that works on boats around here thinks. Someone who replied to my earlier post here said the same thing. The RV repair guys said it could be, but they doubted it as moisture is the usual culprit. I checked the ground, it was grounded to the aluminum siding and the aluminum was partially eaten up. I cleaned up everything, moved the ground to a new location. I disconnected the batteries, the trailer had no electrical connected to it and the damage continued. If it was Stray Current Corrosion I was told the damage would stop. I may look into this, if it is in fact Stray Current, and the fix was not too expensive it may be worth repairing.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:20 AM   #28

I fixed the camper by re-seating all the sheet metal light screws.