Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
I finally had a chance to wash my motor home this past week. I cleaned the roof with a roof care product ( I don't know what the name of the product is. It is in the RV in MD & I am now in NC) I then cleaned the seams at the front, rear, vents, & sky lights with acetone. I then applied the Eternabond 4" tape.
For anyone considering doing this, it is an easy job as long as you keep a few things in mind when working with this tape. First be sure to clean the area well where you are installing the tape. When ready to apply the tape, pull off about 6" of the clear backing when you start & be sure you are starting off on a straight line, this tape is very hard to install in a curved manner. After getting the tape started you can pull a longer amount of the clear backing, what ever you feel comfortable with. Just remember it will stick to itself & is extremely hard to pull apart or pull back off the roof once it has made contact. Not impossible, but darn near. Press hard on the tape when applying it as this is the process that starts the chemical reaction within the tape for secure bonding. I used a wooden hand roller 2" wide. I found that I could get better pressure & adhesion with my fingers & thumbs at areas where it was not flat such as the edges of the vent frame or skylight. I used a razor knife to cut the tape, but found I was not getting a square cut due to the flexibility of the tape, I then went to scissors & got a much better cut. What ever you use, be careful with the tool not to cut your roof. Always close the razor or scissors after each use. No I did not cut my roof, but I had visions of doing so, so I was very careful.
All in all it took me about 2 hours to install the tape. Counting washing the MH & cleaning the windows about 6-8 hours. I am very happy with the results of the Eternabond tape. I need to order or find it somewhere local & apply the 1" tape along the rain rail gutters, and I need about 20' more of the 4" or 2" tape to finish the things that are attached to the roof. I was not too concerned about these areas at the present because the old sealant is still in good condition in these areas. I had no leaks anywhere that I am aware of, but there was cracking present at the end caps of the old sealant & I wanted to do preventative maintenance before I found a leak. Hope this helps anyone considering this product.

dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #16
GPW

I just used Eternabond to seal the roof vent on my Tiny Foamie Trailer .... Worked GREAT !!! Cleaned with acetone , applied as per instructions , burnished down with a large spoon (no roller handy) ... STICKY STUFF !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EB tape.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	11047   Click image for larger version

Name:	vent.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	11048  

Old 06-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
GPW, that is very interesting looking trailer.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #18
GPW

Thanks DS , I made it for a "little camping" ... No use towing the Big TT when a little one will do (saves Gas) ... About 500 lbs. trailer and all ... More here : Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers :: View Forum - Foamies