RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2019, 10:44 AM   #1

Entry level light weights

My son and DIL are looking for a light weight travel trailer after camping for years in a pop up. I'm a fifth-wheel and now Class A guy, so know little about travel trailers. They are looking at a Coleman Lantern LT 18RB and a 2019 and 2020 Forest River Cherokee Wolf Pup 16FQ. All three are similarly priced with similar weights and floor plans, although the Coleman is slightly longer. Their kids are grown, so it would just be for the two of them. Any thoughts on the two manufacturers? Is quality/reputation similar? Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated. TIA.

RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2019, 11:02 AM   #2

that floor plan is very common. off the top of my head i think coachmen, gulfstream, kz, starcraft,... heck most entry level makers have it.
coleman is just about a almost exclusive branding name for some dutchmen trailers for camping world dealerships if i'm not mistaken.
camping world-let's just say some people hate camping world with a passion.

turnleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:07 AM   #3

At that price point neither will be special in any way. The best deal would be the only way to decide IMO.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:40 AM   #4

Wolf Pup.....we have one. The frame/platform for the bed mattress kinda sucked. I built a support wall underneath the center of the bed “joists” and added screws thru the plywood surface. Also added a topper for comfort. The A/C is very loud. I took the inside cover off and used foam panels to frill gaps etc to give smooth surfaces for the air to flow better. The bath exhaust fan, I installed a Hengs replacement from Amazon, much more efficient. Ours has a platform on the back. Folded it down and mounted a storage box on it. It is a 30 amp model so I added a separate outlet for small space heater, fed directly from 20amp campground power post along with 30 amp. The tongue weight is heavy and there was some sway. WD kit adjusted lightly move some tongue weight forward and eliminated 90%+/- of the sway. Replaced the stiff water shore supply pipe attached to the water pump with flexible hose to quiet the pump considerably. Built a removable plywood cover for the cooktop, much larger work space. Opened up the foldable legs on the dinette table and clamped them to the floor, makes set up quicker and do not ever use the dinette as a bed. Free standing steps light enough and sized right to fit inside the door for travel. Added plastic sheet to walls of shower to insure water flowed into the shower pan and not between it and original wall panels that slid past the exterior of the pan, also sealed the corners better. OTHER than that we do enjoy our camper.
Spoonsize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:05 AM   #5

Quality Travel Trailer Brands

All these TT's are built by good old American inexperienced minimum wage workers pushed by management to work faster than possible. Design is similar. No consideration for achievable quality. Only concern for cheapest materials and design.

Thor is the worst in my experience. Colman is a Thor company. All above applies to Colman. Forest River may be better. I don't have actual experience with them. Forest River is pushed to compete with Colman. After all, you are going to by the lowest price of the two.

It is a crap shoot. You may get a good one. There is a good chance you will get a bad one. Look at what Spoonsize had to do with his Wolf Pup. There is a good chance you will have a similar number of major issues.

If you are not willing to pay for quality, you will have to build it in yourself.
Best value/quality brand
Think about buying a 2 or 3 year old used TT from a private party. Most of the build issues will have been corrected already.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:59 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would spend slightly more and get a mid-priced unit rather than entry level, especially for ultra lights which are already flimsy. Maybe look at a Minnie Winnie a year or two older. Much better quality.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:58 PM   #7

Thanks for the input. I'll pass it on.
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 03:12 AM   #8

They probably know this but maybe not. They want a walk around bed. A walk around bed means noone needs to crawl over the other person. The bed is also easier to make.

I also agree with getting a mid level trailer and not an entry level.

I am now looking at mid level 5th wheels and am kinda impressed with the quality of Flagstaff and Rockwood.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:22 AM   #9

[QUOTE=tuffr2;4965458]They probably know this but maybe not. They want a walk around bed. A walk around bed means noone needs to crawl over the other person. The bed is also easier to make.

So true. In our 20s it was fun to crawl over each other, in our 60s not so much. We have a no longer made Evergreen 19ERD with walk around bed and separate shower. Has been working out great so far I recommend trying to find one of these also. Very well built and we paid about half what a new 19 with similar layout would have cost. Hearing about the quality issues with new ones the repairs I have done so far are minimal.
TIME2CAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
All these TT's are built by good old American inexperienced minimum wage workers pushed by management to work faster than possible. Design is similar. No consideration for achievable quality. Only concern for cheapest materials and design.

Thor is the worst in my experience. Colman is a Thor company. All above applies to Colman. Forest River may be better. I don't have actual experience with them. Forest River is pushed to compete with Colman. After all, you are going to by the lowest price of the two.

It is a crap shoot. You may get a good one. There is a good chance you will get a bad one. Look at what Spoonsize had to do with his Wolf Pup. There is a good chance you will have a similar number of major issues.

If you are not willing to pay for quality, you will have to build it in yourself.
Best value/quality brand
Think about buying a 2 or 3 year old used TT from a private party. Most of the build issues will have been corrected already.
AMEN on this post.

Tags
light, weight