RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2018, 07:21 AM   #1

EPDM Rubber Roof Coating Vs Dicor Acrylic Coating System

So it's time to do something about the roof on my 1999 Fleetwood fifth wheel. The roof isn't leaking yet but there is a small tear from a tree that's sealed with tape and the bulk of the roof is starting to show uv damage. I have narrowed it down to two products. The Dicor EPDM Roof Acrylic Coating system or the EPDM rubber roof coating system. Does anyone have experience with either?

AaronColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2018, 09:54 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I did the rubber roof coating on my Sunnybrook 26CKS a few years ago. It was the A+B mix type. It was not a fun job but it turned out good. Prep and pre plan is the key. Look at all the videos you can before starting or ordering. Having a 2nd set of hands that day would help as a 5th is tall. Getting someone that has done it before would be best. Or just pay to have it done by a pro.

Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:59 AM   #3

I just recoated my 14 year EPDM roof with Hengs, which is an acrylic I think. I'm only into it a couple months, so can't comment on durability, etc. It was easy to work with and went on well. It was very hot when I did the work, which did cause some really fast skinning over with related waste, but it still only took about 1.5 gallons for my 18' x 8' roof.

I'm sure it won't matter too much about which coating is used, but I will tell you the trailer was instantly cooler.
billyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:57 AM   #4

I don't have experience with the ones you mentioned but I can vouch for Heng's. I did mine last year (ish). It was easy to roll on and has held up well. I ordered mine off Amazon. I may do it again this fall or certainly this spring depending on how motivated I am.
skiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:03 PM   #5
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I re-coated the EPDM roof on my old 2001 Mirada a few years ago. I used 5 gallons of EPDM Coatings from the company of the same name..

I had looked at several products, I chose the EPDM Coatings mainly because it would require one step. If I used some of the other products, they required painting the roof with a primer activator / then painting it with the actual coating (two steps)

I did an article and also a video on my 2001 Mirada web site:

Re-coating EPDM roof – 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Two thoughts.

1) do this when the temperature is cool. They claim a four hour pot life, but after about 2 hours it started getting to thick to work with (90 degrees outside)

2) don't mix up the entire large batch. I mixed two (or more) smaller batches I did two batches of about 2.5 gallons each. I'm glad I did as the first batch started getting think just about the time we needed to mix the next batch.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dicor, roof