Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2016, 09:35 AM   #1

Equalizer Hitch

Newbie to pulling travel trailers. What do I need to know about equalizer hitch. I am purchasing a 2010 Evergreen Everlite 29fk. Towing with at 2008 Ram 1500 V6 5.7L Big Horn. Thanks for any information.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2016, 01:06 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Equal-i-zer brand?

If you are using the Equal-i-zer brand I can help. Their web site has good instructions, but here's my experience:
1) Load the trailer just as you would for a trip. Propane, water, clothes, food, drink, toys, etc.
2) The amount of weight being transferred to the front axle of the truck is controlled by the number of washers in the hitch. You can get in the ballpark by measuring from the ground to the top of the wheel molding. Adjust the number of washers until the front and back measure as even as you can get it (of course with the trailer attached).
3) Drive to a scale. Cat scales have three segments, well marked with yellow lines. You can measure the front, rear and trailer axles at once, each on separate segments.
4) The front and rear axles should measure about the same, with the front axle being NO HEAVIER than the rear axle.
5) If necessary, add or remove a washer to adjust the amount of weight transfer and re-weigh (re-weighs are cheap - $2 if I recall).
6) Make sure your electric jack and coach battery are capable of lifting the trailer high enough to slip the equalizing bars onto the hitch by hand.
7) Lubricate the hitch as indicated on the Equal-I-Zer Web site.

Getting the hitch set up correctly is essential for safe towing. I hope you enjoy your new-to-you trailer.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:00 PM   #3

ram 5.7

your Ram has a V8???

secondly, if your not familiar with hitches have it done, i did and it

works as it should.

Jim
Old 01-25-2016, 05:20 PM   #4

pro series equalizer

I am a green horn and the equalizer post has me scratching my head. In the post the gentleman was talking about adjusting washers don't have any washers on mine wassup with this?
Old 01-25-2016, 08:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71mtneer View Post
Newbie to pulling travel trailers. What do I need to know about equalizer hitch. I am purchasing a 2010 Evergreen Everlite 29fk. Towing with at 2008 Ram 1500 V6 5.7L Big Horn. Thanks for any information.
I tow a 96' Dutchmen 26' Bunkhouse, with an 06' Ram 1500 5.7L, using an Equilzer. The hitching and uhitching of the TT could not be more simple. The only trick is to make sure your tongue jack either has the ability to lift high enough for the trunion bars to swing out freely. If your jack doesn't make sure you have blocks of wood to adjust. Going down the road my truck sits completely level. Some complain about noise from the Equilzer although I haven't noticed any as of yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcguire48 View Post
I am a green horn and the equalizer post has me scratching my head. In the post the gentleman was talking about adjusting washers don't have any washers on mine wassup with this?
On the hitch itself, if you look down at it from the top between the part that goes into your receiver and the part with the ball that the trunion bar knuckles go into, in between the two is a piece that has washers on it to adjust the angle of pitch on the ball. When you tighten your pitch adjustment bolt on the bottom the part with the washers is used as a top "stop".
Old 01-26-2016, 05:22 PM   #6

I am running with the Andersen WD hitch after changing from a Reese system. Clean, quiet, much smoother ride. The hitch up is easy and is much lighter.
Robot Check
Old 01-29-2016, 09:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcguire48 View Post
Not all weight distributing hitches are Equalizer hitches. Equalizer is a "brand" not a type. And not all have washers. Some do, and some have slots in the drawbar to tilt the hitch head.
Tilting the hitch head (ball mount) determines the amount of pressure the spring / weight bars can apply to the TV. The more it is tilted toward the trailer. the more weight it will move.

Terry and Shay, Lazy Campers
terryallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have had Equilizer brand weight distribution hitches for year on multiple trailers. We got it set up initially at the dealer, but for subsequent trailers DH did the setup himself. Make sure you have an electric tongue jack to be able to raise the trailer tongue high enough to put the bars on and off easily. The hitch kind of screeches when you go around a curve, but that is just the way it is.

We did try an Anderson on our most recent trailer, but the red "cushions" broke twice. Dealer couldn't figure it out, so he swapped it for the Equilizer, and we are happy.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:35 AM   #9

ProjectPro has it right. However you can set it up using a simple measuring tape as well. I have done many this way. Simply take the TT to a level parking lot. Unhook. Measure from the front bumper to the ground. Write it down. Then measure from the rear bumper to the ground. write it down. level the trailer with the tongue jack. Then adjust the ball height to just a touch higher than the tongue coupling.
Once that is done. Drop the tongue on the ball, measure the front bumper to the ground again. Then adjust the hitch using the weight bars and head tilt until you have returned the front bumper to the original height, Or as some auto makers say, at least half of what it rose with the tongue sitting on the ball. I return it to the original measurement.
Then measure the rear bumper again. It should be NO HIGHER than it was unhooked. How much drop it will have depends on the suspension. But it can't be higher than it was unhooked. IF you raise it too high. It will create a dangerous situation. However. Once you get the front right. The rear will in almost all cases take care of itself.

IF you get confused, and if you think you can't do it. Get help. Getting the hitch setup correctly is the MOST important part of towing. IF it is wrong. You will be fighting the wheel all over the road, and very well could lose control. Get it right, and your towing will be effort less.

Also. IF your hitch does not have built in sway control. Once you get the hitch setup correctly, and the trailer has NO sway. Then , Add sway control. Sway control is NOT to allow you to control the TT in normal conditions, A TT should not sway in normal driving. Sway control is for those times that sway is induced in to the trailer by the driver in emergency manuvers, Like dodging a deer, or being cut off by another vehicle, or blowing a tire. In normal driving. the TT should follow the TV with no problems.

Terry and Shay, Lazy Campers
terryallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:39 AM   #10

Carolina Campers
Equalizer

I pull an Everlite 24RBS and use the Equalizer WDH; I had the dealer install it when I bought the TT, so can't comment on the installation. I will say, I love the way the trailer pulls with it. Takes a few more minutes to connect/disconnect, but not bad at all.

The one comment is that it can be noisy when going slowly, as in a parking lot or pulling into the campground. Didn't hear it on the highway. That said, I did end up purchasing Sway Bracket Jackets from Equalizer. I wrestled with the thought of dropping $20 on two little pieces of plastic, but these things made a world of difference (impacted noise factor only) and I would highly recommend. I have had them only for a year, so not clear as to longevity, but so far so good.

Tags
element, ever-lite, evergreen, everlite, i-go