Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #1

Estone ex8500 DVD problems

Hi all!
I'm new here. I see there's a lot of good information here so I'm hoping you can give me some advice. I have a 2012 keystone Laredo 303TG that I bought brand new. Upon the final inspection walk through I noticed that the DVD player, an Estone ex8500 DVD entertainment unit wasn't playing thru all 4 ceiling speakers or the outdoor speakers. The guys at the dealership tried 3 other units and still couldn't get the speakers to work so they started checking the speaker wires to the speakers and so on. The speakers were working and wired properly and the DVD player was at fault. After an hour they were able to get the unit to work. I witnessed this the process from the seating inside the trailer. Their diagnosis was that the first 3 DVD units were defective. So I took possession of the trailer and pulled it to a campground and set up camp and settled in. It wasn't very long when I noticed the speakers weren't working again. I started tracking down the problem and noticed if I pulled the unit out of the wall and pulled the fuse and replaced it the unit would cycle on and all the speakers would work until I turned the unit off- what a hassle to pull the unit out, pull the fuse and replace the fuse and reinstall the DVD player back into the wall. Now after pulling the fuse and reinstalling it doesn't work and I am stuck with this problem. Only the front two speakers will work Has anyone else had this problem? Are all Estone ex8500 defective? Can it be the way it's wired because I've already replaced the outside light and air conditioner due to improper wiring? Of course the dealership says I have to pull the trailer back to them to fix the problem they already fixed. That's another story. Please help, I'd like to listen to my music properly and outside-
thanks-
Dave
LaredoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #2

I have been in contact with Quest Audio Video, they are willing to make arrangements to replace my DVD player. They seem to think the problem is in the trailers wiring but so far they haven't been able to give me a scenario where the trailers wiring could cause zones B and C to work intermittently. I will more than likely be replacing the DVD player but I am thinking that if in fact the trailers wiring is wrong then I will still have the same problem with the replacement unit. They also agree. Is there an electrician or somebody that might know of a senerio that would cause the zone B (rear speakers) and C zone (outside speakers) to sometimes work and most of the time not work?. The trailer sales people tried 3 other units and none worked properly. It wasn't until they put this last unit in that all zones played.... Until I got to the campground. The guys at Quest say that their failure rate wasn't that high that those other 3 inits would be defective and the problems I am describing aren't the normal problems they encounter. Ill keep you posted as to the outcome of this problem.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:47 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Can you remove the DVD player and connect external speakers to it just to see if it does the same thing, if so then you know it's the DVD player and not your wiring or the installed speakers.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #4

That test was done during the final inspection when we were watching them troubleshoot the problem there at the RV Sales place (name withheld for now). The rear and outdoor speakers did work when wired to the front speaker terminals. Which makes me think its the DVD unit that is defective. However it's hard to believe that 3 of the 4 DVDs were defective at the inspection. And now this one would make it 4 out of 4 defective which tends to make me think something's wrong with the trailer wiring. You bring up a good idea though, I should re-test the wiring to the other speakers. All 4 would have to be wired incorrectly though wouldn't it? And why would one mis-wired speaker affect the other 3? the rear (zone B) and outside (zone C) speakers do work -sometimes- if I pull the in-line fuses and put them back in and the dvd "cycles" There are 2 fuses, not sure why though.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #5

Check out this link: DVD Player in 2012 Laredo - ESTONE 8500 - Keystone RV Forums You aren't the only one with problems with the Estone brand. I would think you should ditch the entire unit and pony up for something of quality that works...
You can also google EstoneDVD and find others who are trying hard to get this equipment to work.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #6

I've seen that and other threads on the Internet. This particular DVD player has other names too. It's marketed under several names. I'm going to do the swap with the company mentioned above just to hopefilly get this problem resolved. I have looked around and was almost ready to buy an aftermarket surround player but the layout of this Laredo makes it very hard to put in another unit. I already have to point the remote towards the rear bunk area to use the satellite because the TV/satellite connections are in the rear bunk and no real place to put that satellite DVR UNIT up front with the TV. Some problems don't present themselves until you have the trailer in a campground and it s then you realize a few things that havn't been noticed, like why is the satelite/TV functions way back in the bunk? I have the satellite dvr sitting on a TV tray in the hallway (go figure) because there just isn't anywhere to put it. Let alone a larger surround unit. Luckily I was able to purchase a 100 watt powered subwoofer and put in in the storage under the bed and the wires are hidden behing the bedroom doors and into (under) the bed and again lucky that there's a 120v plug within reach. The subwoofer isn't included with the Estone units as far as my research has provided. It does however enhance the cheap 3 1/2 inch 35 watt speakers in the ceiling, if only I could get them all to work. So lets see how this swap plays out.... To be continued.....