Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-22-2015, 03:41 PM   #1
European "caravans"

So can anyone explain why European caravans are not available in the US? I have been searching for a travel trailer with front couches and lots of windows, which pretty much all European caravan manufactures seem to have, but I cannot find something similar here in the US.

I am looking for something similar to the 554 listed in the url.

Swift Challenger Sport Caravan Layouts and Tech :: Swift Group

I don't understand why I cannot anything similar here in the US.

smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2015, 03:52 PM   #2
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Notice no slide-outs....There are few American RV manufactures that do take some styling que's from the overseas caravans. Notice the RV doors are on the opposite side.

Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:56 PM   #3
Off hand I would think there are a host of hoops to jump through over things like electrical, plumbing and maybe running gear. Probably not enough units would be wanted to go through the hassle of dealing with making them conform to US standards. No idea why the US does not do those layouts. Perhaps you can find a custom builder.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They are a little pricey when you do the Pound to dollar conversion. Then they would have to be converted to US/CDN standards, expensive investment for a company, plus the shipping cost would be added to that. I don't see a lot of profit in that.
2001 Itasca Horizon 36LD Cat
Retired Air Force, One lovely Angel, 2 Cats and three birds.
the_vfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:11 PM   #5
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Manufacturers make what they THINK the buyers want.. Folks in the US have different standards than say England.

Get the photos and floor plans.. Go to the body builders and ask.. CAN YOU MAKE IT..
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:43 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your situation.
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:02 PM   #7
Thank for the replies everyone. Any recommendations for someone that could possibly build something like this?
Old 05-24-2015, 08:46 PM   #8
I don't know why those floor plans have gone out of style, but I haven't seen one in years. I do have two suggestions though. One is to look at a vintage unit either redone or in very good shape. The other is to look at a CreekSide 20FQ. It may be a bit too long for you at 20' but it is the floor plan you are looking at only in reverse. We love ours.
2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2003 Jimmy Duramax
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:19 PM   #9
European campers have more than just code changes required to be popular with US buyers. These guys compared US to European Airstream trailers:

shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:48 AM   #10
I guess I should have worded my post better - Why can't I find a camper with a layout with a front lounge area similar to the euro caravans with the large windows and skylight? I did not intend to get into the "converting to U.S. use" rabbit hole regarding water holding, width, even though the one's I have been looking at are 8' wide, suspension, etc.

It is just myself and my wife, so when we are in the camper, it is usually raining out, or at night. To me, the parallel couch/lounge area is much more inviting where I could see us reading/relaxing, one on each side, where most "American" campers would have a dinette or a single couch, both of which do not provide much of a lounging area. I have been toying with the idea of remodeling an older camper, but that would be a lot of work.

At about 17sec. in this video, you can see what I am talking about.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:48 PM   #11
I think the Oliver trailers are similar to the euro style.
2013 Winnebago 2301BH-Red
2012 Ram 2500 Megacab HO CTD
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:33 PM   #12
Hmmm, I should take pics of our trailer. It does have the dinette at the front, but it is built as two parallel couches (you could always throw away the table and then it is permanent couches, LOL!) same position as the video. One is twice as long as the other giving you the lounge space. Windows came pre-installed for all seat walls. If you bought a bunkhouse model, you'd have the beds you'd probably want, too (I've seen them with front dinettes/sofas).

It doesn't have the front window or skylight, but you can add both aftermarket (any dealer would be happy to put them in.

Or am I missing something entirely? Uncomfy dinettes sofas are an easy fix if you're handy, or cheap enough to get carpenter to do the work on.

shepd is offline   Reply With Quote