Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2010, 07:18 PM   #1

Ever-lite vs Earthbound

Has anyone had the chance to compare, in person, the features of these two relatively new manufacturers. Have looked at the Ever-lite and like the construction and use of artificial materials, 3 year warranty, light weight and streamlining, one piece roof, high (er) end cabinets and nice floor plans, etc.

Cannot find a local Earthbound (MN) dealer to do a comparison. On line brochures look great.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2010, 02:29 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
tjwolf...Do you have links you can provide for the two youare talking about?? (I guessI am curious - just for the heck of it!)

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:27 AM   #3

MM

If you Google either manufacturer you will find several web sites for each including a listing of dealers (with stocked units), floor plans and on-line brochures.

Evergreen/Ever-Lite has the longer history and larger dealer network. Earthbound has just recently moved into a new plant and secured additional financing. Only a few dealers at this point.

Both manufacturers offer (claim to) light weight and Eco-friendly, new technology trailer structures. Seems to be a real departure from the traditional "sticks and staples" construction.

Look! I think if you are in the market for a pull-trailer, you will be impressed. I looked at several Ever-Lite trailers and other than maybe to few windows, and to little storage very impressed. Closest Earthbound dealer 700 miles away, therefore have not seen one yet.

Tom
Old 03-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oh, I think that MM is a die-hard Monoco girl

I have been looking at the Ever-lite, just to see something different than the average TT. Is interesting looking at the differences between this and traditional.

Sheila
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
ccc

WE researched many TT's and found that Ever-lite seems by far the best constructed. Airstream and Artic Fox being two others. EVERGREEN's were the only tt that used no wood in the frame, walls, roof nor ceiling. Took delivery of a 31RLS last week and go on the first cruise Monday. Very impressed with the quality of the cabinet work and overall layout. Pulled it home 70 miles in a wind and no sway, using an EQUALIZER hitch and my Ford F 250 Supercab 4 door.
CCC

Evergreen RV Owners Group
ccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:20 AM   #6

We've also been looking at both of these brands and are still trying to make up our minds between the two. Earthbound is very new and it appears to me they are still getting the kinks out so we're kind of leaning toward the Everlite. Plus the Everlite is less money. But the earthbounds sure are beautiful.

One of our local dealers (Bates RV in Dover Fl) carries both so we're lucky we can see them side by side. Being lightweight I'll be able to utilize my GMC Sierra 1500 instead of upgrading to a larger truck.

Jim
Old 10-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #7

We do not have any dealers for the Earthbound in Minnesota. How do the two compare on out the door prices? MSRP on the Earthbound appears about $ 7-8000 more expensive, although with more standard features and options.

We got close to purchasing a new 35' Ever-lite. The dealer however, was trying to steal my Winnie and Grand Vitara toad. Already have a Hensley anti-sway and equalizer system, but no trailer!

The larger travel slide on the 35' units vs 18" on the older/smaller unit sure makes the trailer seem larger. End windows in the slide also greatly lighten up the interior.

Great construction on E-L, though no storage, little/no closets = low livability. DW wants to take most of the house on each trip.

Tom
Old 10-14-2010, 01:50 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
From what I can see on the web, the Evergreen appears to be a little bit better. On the interior I think that double sinks in the galley are important for doing dishes. I also like the idea of two doors in longer units as they could make a huge difference in the case of a fire. While I agree that Luan wood is not the most eco friendly material I disagree that oil based plastics are any better. Wood is the only true renewable building product.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The fact that a number of the principals of the company came from a background with Dutchmen wouldn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy about Earthbound.

JM2CW....

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:23 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I know what you are saying about the principals coming from Dutchman - however that does not mean that they agreed with everything that went on at that company. Ron Nash worked for Fleetwood before founding Northwood Mfg and created the Nash and Arctic Fox brands - known for their quality construction - unlike Fleetwood.

One more comment about these two low rider TTs - while I agree that lower is more aerodynamic - however it is also known for catching speed bumps and driveways. I have only owned one TT with the torsion axles and it was almost impossible to keep from rocking. The independent suspension will not equalize the weight over the tandem wheel set - so if you tow front low then the front wheels will have more wt on them - the same with the rear. Since all the "spring" is provided by rubber they will eventually wear out - somewhere on the web I saw a picture of one that had been turned to mush on the inside - I don't remember from what. My past experience with laminated construction in a TT was less than good.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:26 AM   #11

Some interesting comments here. Last weekend when we were looking, one thing that stood out to me was how low the trailer was. I looked at the gray water flush pipe and noticed it was under the frame and about 6" from the ground. I talked with the salesperson and even a rep from Earthbound who assurred me that it was fine. But I wasn't so sure as I compared the height to other TT's that the dealer had. I'm not an expert but Randy's comment about the lowrider clicked with me.

The other thing that immediately grabbed me with the Earthbound was the dining bench table. It was almost a joke how wobbly it was. It was completely unusable from my viewpoint. The salesperson said that the manufacturer was making adjustments and that would be corrected in future releases. The cabinet latches and a few other things also didn't seem right. It's the little things like that that you notice and get you thinking.

Something my wife absolutely did not like on the Earthbound was the stove. It was a 2 burner stove and she said it didn't look like something she wanted to use and thought she would burn her fingers trying to turn it on and off. But that was probably just the fact that she hadn't used it yet. However I have to face up to the fact if she doesn't like using the stove, we may be eating out more on our trips which isn't a good thing if you've experienced my wife's great cooking.

So we'll probably go with the Everlite. But the Earthbound has potential when they get the little kinks worked out.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:56 AM   #12

"Since all the "spring" is provided by rubber they will eventually wear out"

I don't see this as a problem as all springs also "eventually" wear out. And you don't have the spring eye bushings wearing out every 2-3 years. MorRyde has had a lot of success with the rubber torsion design.

Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #13
ccc

Note of interest: AIRSTREAM uses a rubber torsion axle for it's suspension and has for many decades. I have never owned one but am aware of this.
CCC

Evergreen RV Owners Group
ccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:34 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Like noted, I have seen springs break as well. Alko and Dexter both make torsion axles fro RVs. The two smoothest towing RVs we have owned had torsion axles. Out current Avion has three torsion axles and the thing tows like a dream....6 wheel independent suspension.

Ken

Tags
evergreen