Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2015, 09:27 AM   #1

Evergreen Bent Spring Hangers

Hi all.
First time on this site but after reading needed to add my two cents worth. The other day while doing some small maintenance on our new ( purchased 7-10-2015 ) Evergreen Sun Valley S32RE I was looking at things underneath. To my surprise it looked like all the spring hanger brackets were bent to the left of the TT looking from the back forward. Looking at it more closely it appears the hangers are not even welded straight. The springs are rubbing on the brackets as you can see in the pictures. Okay so a call to the dealer and of course they asked what I ran into. I replied absolutely nothing and told them all the brackets are like this. We have only used the trailer once since purchased for a total of 740 miles round trip and no hard turning at all. Okay so they said we will call the company and ask what to do. Would you believe the company called me back within 30 minutes. After a conversation explaining what I had found they requested pictures and details of course. Kind of afraid to use the TT anymore as this doesn't look good to me. No welds cracked or any twisting on the 2" box noted. So anyways off to Evergreen with the pictures and explanation of finding and hopefully they make good on it and it doesn't take the rest of the camping season. Comments welcome and this looks like a great site for information..............

P.S. Any other Sun Valley Owners out there?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	102521   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	102522  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2015, 09:35 AM   #2

Looks like some cold welds. There seems to be no penetration on the hanger bracket.

It may be risky towing it back to the dealer.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:34 PM   #3

With Evergreen you are most likely on your own anyway..So I would say take it to a good shop and get it fixed right and avoid the anger and flusteration ... I know from experience with my I-Go LIte (Made by Evergreen) and dealing with them over water damage from trim seams that were never sealed . Yep they wouldn't pay a dime ... It was less than a year old.. I was told it was a maintenance issue and I should have checked it every three months. I just wish they had told me they were too lazy to seal it in the first place..

Good Luck dealing with Dan !!!
Old 08-08-2015, 07:32 PM   #4

Definitely out of vertical alignment and must be repaired. I'm a bit surprised at the amount of rust on the shackles, but more importantly on the axle behind the brake backing plate. Think you need that looked at, too.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:42 PM   #5

Did you by any chance curb the trailer tires/wheels??
It would take a significant lateral load to lean those brackets over unless they were welded on that way.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:26 AM   #6

Bent Spring Hangers

No curbing or sharps turns what so ever. Having logged many miles in straight trucks and semi's and hauling trailers for Horizon many years ago as a side line I understand all the do's and don'ts of pulling. Yeah I was amazed at the amount of rust also. When I purchased the unit I did take a quick look underneath and I guess I should have really checked it out a lot more. The unit had a door issue that the dealer took care of quickly. I had traded a Jayco Qwest 278X for this unit that I completely rebuilt the suspension on with wet bushings. Never had any issue's with the hangers on that unit. Well if the manufacturer does not come through I guess I get to rebuild this one also. Well for now I will wait and see what the manufacturer may offer and check out the local truck / trailer repair shops.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:30 AM   #7

Bent Spring Hangers

While doing some research on the issue I have, I came across a video for Equa-Flex. It's not the item (Equa-Flex) that caught my eye but the video of the suspension working that has me concerned. The video clearly shows the stress that is put on the hangers as it is being towed. The amount of flexing back and forth in my opinion is eventually going to break. Take a sec and watch the video and tell me what you think.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:50 AM   #8

I think that guy's driving is not exactly smooth, but I get the point... a lot of forces at hand.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:31 PM   #9

Here is what has happened the past 20 days. Contacted the dealer and said they would contact Evergreen. Call back from Evergreen and was instructed to call someone else at Evergreen. Okay no problem, call made. Informed Evergreen about situation and was told they would get back with me. Received e-mail from Lippert and they wanted to know some stats on trailer. No problem, I provided what they asked for and sent many pictures. Received another e-mail asking if I had drilled an extra whole in hangers!! Of course no was the reply to Lippert. Well a few days went by and another e-mail requesting a side shot of the suspension system. Okay no problem and off with the pictures and I also told him as he could see in the pictures that all the hangers have an extra hole. I did some research about replacement hangers for Lippert suspension and even the replacements have an extra hole in each hanger. Okay well that was interesting. Now another e-mail requesting a shot straight forward from the rear of the trailer down the frame. Okay that was about all I was going to deal with and now it was phone time. After a bunch of direct questions, I had informed Lippert that I had taken the trailer to a Welding shop that builds custom trailers for all kinds of things. I told them that the shop informed me it appeared the hangers were built on a jig and who ever welded them let them cool to long and the hangers lifted and they did not correct the situation before welding the other side. Okay well I also got a quote which I did send to Lippert. Quote was around $650.00. Next e-mail was as follows

I will authorize for the hangers to get welded.
But if you have any further issues with the hangers the Welding Shop would be responsible for the warranty.
When they do the work if they damage anything LCI is not responsible.
If you have any question you can contact me.

My reply was:
Hello,
Thanks for the quick response. What choice do you offer to have the warranty stay in effect through LCI?
Thanks

Have not heard anything since the 25th

So anyway I took the trailer to the Welding shop and had the situation corrected. Everything is all straight now and I was informed that one hanger was even twisted. Sure looks good and straight. Total cost was $475.00. So today was a new day checking things out and sure have found a lot more that needs attention and a lot of mistakes. But that's another posting later.

I do like the trailer and off soon for the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:42 PM   #10

Glad to hear the problems been fixed. I hope Evergreen is sending you a check for the repairs.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:01 PM   #11

Must of been built on a Friday they rush them out of the shop do you live in the north I have a 2014 wildwood that I bought last July as a left over no rust on frame at all my father has a 2014 sportmens he brought brand new at the bostons rv show his frame looks like yours from being towed up here in the winter and not being rinsed

Rich,24
2014 wildwood 27rlss
2005 Chevy 2500HD crew cab

rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
element, ever-lite, evergreen, everlite, i-go, sun valley