Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2016, 10:41 AM   #1

Evergreen I go 235rb yes or no

So, I have found a low price on an Evergreen 235rb tt. With Evergreen now shut down, I was interested in asking existing evergreen owners if they would consider buying an I go with no warranty. The price is around 40% off of MSRP, but I don't know how many issues to expect in the first year with no warranty. Should I look at other manufacturers? Thx for the input.
Chevyrocks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2016, 11:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyrocks3 View Post
So, I have found a low price on an Evergreen 235rb tt. With Evergreen now shut down, I was interested in asking existing evergreen owners if they would consider buying an I go with no warranty. The price is around 40% off of MSRP, but I don't know how many issues to expect in the first year with no warranty. Should I look at other manufacturers? Thx for the input.
I'm thinking your biggest issue might be the appliance and other warranties (tires, axles, etc.), at least in the short term. Not sure 40% off would begin to make the risk worthwhile - replacing a refrigerator or AC unit can be pretty pricey.

It might be worth spending some time talking with the dealer to see just how much they'll be willing to stand behind you, since they won't be getting any warranty from the manufacturer.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:50 PM   #3

Carolina Campers
As an Evergreen owner in my second season of ownership, I can say that I have not experienced any build quality issues at this point. That said, talk to the dealer about subsidizing the cost of a third party warranty. As the buyer, you are in the driver's seat.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:59 PM   #4

Ok here is my two cents worth..
I bought a 2014 I-Go Lite
They did a terrible job on sealing the trims to the fiberglass ..especially on the nose.. So I had a small spot start delaminating on the side panel at the nose..I took it to a local dealer and they said it had never been sealed..Evergreen wouldn't pay a dime for the repair..I was just a little pissed to say the least and called them myself.. By the time I was off the phone with their service advisor I was swearing to never buy a Evergreen product again...I also had some fitting issues were they weren't tightened.. Easy fixes after following the water trail..
The first instance was the exhaust for the heater ..no sealant there and that was a serious leak when it rained. They did pay for that repair.. But that was before the delaminating issue.. Since then and after having the whole unit checked for sealant at my local dealer.. I have had no trailer build issues.. As far as the appliances go they should have their own manufactures warranties... I had a issue with the on demand water heater blowing the pressure valve and had that fixed by Atwood under warranty...

If you decide to purchase the unit insist they check everywhere outside for sealant ..have them do a pressure test on the water lines and make sure the water heater works properly..as far as that goes make sure everything is working properly..

Once I got past all the initial headaches the unit has been fantastic...
I didn't buy the unit from Tennessee Rv but they did a great job fixing the issues and made me feel like maybe this unit is a keeper..
Scoobyd313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:34 PM   #5

I really appreciate y'alls input. I had decided not to get it but... I started looking at comps the same length. It appears the average asking price on the 235rbs is about 24k. I can get this one for 17k. That is with no prep fee. Other dealerships on other campers wanted a 1200 prep fee. Now that I am looking at other campers near the same size, I have found I cannot get near the features for 17k. I am almost thinking to go after it as even if I have multiple issues, I would still be 7-9k under a comparable cost. I am handy with wrenches and know general electrical. I may drive up and get it if things on it look ok. Might be worth the gamble.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:04 PM   #6

Go inspect it and see what you think. If you are handy, this may be a great price.
Keen Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:09 AM   #7

Get a 3rd party extended warranty, just call them to make sure there are no exclusions the first year or that the manufacturer has to be in business still.
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut4speed View Post
Get a 3rd party extended warranty, just call them to make sure there are no exclusions the first year or that the manufacturer has to be in business still.
x2.
I wish I were in the position time wise to upgrade from our current 5ht wheel. A dealer near us has two Bay Hill 295s. I would love to be able to get 40-50% off MSRP. I too would get an extended warranty. I have always said I'd never get an Evergreen product, but that was if you only got the normal discount. If one can make it thru the 1st year without any major problems then you're on your own anyway. I don't see it as that big of a deal. I'm a DIY guy too and can fix most anything with the exception of a slide floor or delam. But those are usually rare in a new RV.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:22 AM   #9

Carolina Campers
Let me start by saying, I have no first hand experience, but I have heard positive feedback about Xtra Ride's 3rd party warranty. I am not sure how much action the dealer is seeing with the deep discount, so I am not sure how motivated he is, but, at a minimum, I'd ask him to split the cost.

Again, no first hand experience with Xtra Ride, so read the fine print and make sure your dealer is comfortable following Xtra Ride's process for submitting claims.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, just two seasons into my Evergreen Everlite, but I am very pleased with the trailer.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:05 AM   #10

Thanks again everyone. I'm going to make the 7 hr treck to them today and hope to purchase in the morning. If I search for the 235rb model, the average advertised price is around 23500 and as high as 30k. This one is priced at 17k out the door. I can't find any comps in other brands near that price so I am going to take the gamble. They told me they will have it all hooked up so I can check the operation. I know it is a gamble but so is everything in life.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:21 PM   #11

Here's an interesting article about a warranty.
Escapees Club Endorses Wholesale Warranties | RV Business
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:54 PM   #12

chevyrocks,

Go for it! I don't think it is near the gamble that some might. Unless you just have terrible luck and get a lemon, you will end up with the same thing everyone else can expect these days.......an RV that needs a little tender loving care to address all the flaws that come with these things brand new. And given that you are handy, you WILL be ahead of the depreciation game to boot!

I actually think fate has smiled on you.
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
chevyrocks,

Go for it! I don't think it is near the gamble that some might. Unless you just have terrible luck and get a lemon, you will end up with the same thing everyone else can expect these days.......an RV that needs a little tender loving care to address all the flaws that come with these things brand new. And given that you are handy, you WILL be ahead of the depreciation game to boot!

I actually think fate has smiled on you.
I sure hope so. My wife and I are really excited. Just got to a hotel after a six hour drive. 1 more hour to go to get to the dealership in the morning. For the money, I can't buy near the camper that they are offering at that price. Plus no prep fee. I negotiated with camping world on one 6 months ago but couldn't make the deal. They would not wave their $1400 prep fee so that adds even more cost. Hope everything checks out in the morning. Ready to see some new sites and make new memories. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:07 PM   #14

Good luck tomorrow
Keen Family is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
evergreen