Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-24-2011, 05:19 PM   #15
Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

I camped next to a U.S. Supreme Court Justice who intoduced himself to me by his first name, and I by mine. His RV was bigger than mine, but mine was a year newer than his. I never mentioned to him that I knew what he did for a living and he never mention to me that he knew what I did for a living. We were both there for the same reason. Bringing our grandkids to a fun place.

Some people have big ones, some people have small ones, But they do the job.

Joe from Ct.
johnsonjm209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2011, 05:33 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
It makes no nevermind what your RV is. Remember, you are rich in the adventures you're going on & the memories you're making. That's what counts.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:32 PM   #17
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well ... I can assure you you are not the only rich person.. But here is some math to consider.

My house was, at it's peak, worth about 100K, My motor home ... the same

Taxes on the house were about 3K/year, the motor home 400. yes Four HUNDRED.

Electric and gas about 200/month, On the motor home I get by with about 180 dollars a year (or less) in propane, and electric is about 70/month in the summer, about 100 in the winter. This is due to membership camping, I pay about 35/month to two campgrounds in the summer that's all I pay for parking, winters I pay for one week out of 3 at 11 or 12/night, The membership covers the 2 weeks.

I could go on, but truthfully.. Motorhiming full time is way less expensive.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #18
Originally Posted by made2care View Post
Well, I have managed to do quite a bit of travelling this
summer and am still amazed at how many high end rigs I saw. And people say the economy is strained, please!! In Red River, NM alone I felt so dwarfed by the huge motorhomes that were easily worth more than the value of my house. There I was , sandwiched between these things that were mountains themselves and of course they had every bell and whistle imagineable. Sounds like I might be a bit envious, maybe to some degree, but I enjoyed my little 26 footer or is it a 28 footer, like an extra 2 feet is going to make that much of a difference. Yes, I know, I have to start somewhere, and sometimes when I seriously look at the monsters of motorhomes, I wonder if the true "camping" experience is compromised. Just a thought .
I believe even if I won the lottery, I would still keep my little keystone and the wife of course
Pics coming soon of the Summer experience.
Define rich.........
2009 Newmar 42 ft. Allstar 4188, Wheelchair Accessible, 400HP Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, Mastertow Dolly, '98 Riviera
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:46 AM   #19
Rich means you can fill the gas tank , no matter the size of the RV ... Wealthy means you paid cash for it ...
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by Frank P. Martin View Post
Whether we pull into a campground and pitch a tent or park a million dollar Prevost class "A" pulling a $50,000 SUV in a FHU pull-thru site, we're all here for the same reason; and as long as we don't lose sight of that fact, camping (or RVing) will live forever.
I'm with Frank.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #21
Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
We view our RV as a home away from home. It isn't about camping and roughing it. The RV is a second home that happens to have wheels so we can take it almost anywhere.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, we've never claimed to be "camping". We're "traveling".

I know what you mean about all the high end rigs on the road. We pulled into a nice CG just north of Seattle yesterday and as I look up the row of my neighbors I see a new Allegro bus, TWO (yes 2) new Marathons, a Country Coach, a small TT, and then two Newmar rigs. Go figure. I guess some folks do what they do very well and are paid accordingly.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #23
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we returned from our first four month winter away in our new RV my neighbor came over and ask "how was the camping". I said "believe me we are not camping--we just decided to live somewhere else for a while".

Three TV's, Convection oven, Queen size bed, flush toilet, shower, surround sound, computer access, refridgerator ice maker CD, DVD, VCR, Cell Phones----camping? No---but having a good time for sure.

This is our second home, by a lake, a stream, an ocean, a bay, a mountain, a desert, our grandkids, our friends----when ever and where ever.

We ain't money rich---but we have riches to spare.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:49 AM   #24
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
DW says she always feels rich because she has a shelter that is heated/cooled, can take a shower whenever she wants, and can prepare a feast with very little money.
Compare this to third world countries or how most people lived 150 years ago, she's right, I feel very rich even though I live on a modest budget.
'98 Gulf Stream Sunsport 325, 7.5L Banks Power Pack, Koni FSD's, Air Bags, ReadyBrute Elite,
2000 Honda Accord

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #25

You don't even have to go to third world countries... Spent some time hiking in England a while back (our backpacking days ). Everyone in the world thinks "we" (Americans as a whole) are rich...why? According to the folks in the one Pub where this discussion arose ( a good hearted discussion in Wales amongst a multi-national group of patrons):

1) We have more than one auto, as a rule, and can afford gas, insurance and licensing for all of them to be on the road at the same time. They found it simply mind boggling that Mom had a car, Dad had a car, Son had a car and Daughter had a car.

2) We have heating and air conditioning everywhere we go, autos, homes and businesses.

3) We have more than one television and we don't have to pay a yearly license fee to watch it...and more than a couple of channels to watch.

4) Indoor plumbing. I was amazed, even in London, at the number of homes that still have sinks that drain, via pipe, to the ground outside.

5) Huge refrigerators that will hold enough perishables that you don't need to go shopping every couple of days.

6) Freezers. OMG, the discussion about freezers and the ability to keep things cold; freezing, in fact. A "cold" drink is room temperature there. If you can find a place that advertises ice in their drinks, a couple of ice cubes (you have to ask for them) is a lot of ice. A milk shake is just that; shaken flavored milk, has nothing to do with ice cream or being more than liquid.

The list was much longer, but, I think you get the idea and you can probably figure out the longer version...

The number one thing that "annoyed" them the most about "Yanks"? Remember we are talking about England, a world power and our friends... The thing that annoyed them (and most people in the world) about us "Yanks" is that we have all of the above, think nothing of it (in fact, we expect it as our due) and then don't understand the rest of the world because of their "attitude" concerning, what they consider to be, "petty" concerns, i.e., the "absolute outrage you Yanks have when you think you paid too much for the television, your 4th or 5th, for in the kitchen!"

This country is truly blessed...each and every one of us, despite the feelings of "haves" and "have nots". Even the "poorest" of us is "rich" in comparison to so much more of the world than we could ever believe.

Count your blessings, no matter what you RV in... There are many in this country that think, no matter what you travel in, that you are "rich" compared to themselves. As for the rest of the world? They would just be rolling on the floor when we start complaining that the RV we have is so much smaller than the one next door....

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #26
I'm sitting in Chattanooga Tn. and have been proud of my "vintage" 1990 MoHo. Then the Boston Red socks showed up and surrounded me with their BIG, NEW coaches and $50,000 cars. Sorta felt like Jed Clampet.....
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #27
Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, I'll just say it out loud...
I'm rich and I'm proud!
And I mean rich.
Rich, Rich, Rich
Even Filthy Rich!
Believe you me, I'm so filthy rich that all the soap in the soap aisle can't wash the filthy off.
Prove it, you say?
Just take a gander at this Press Photo of my rig at one of the Luxury Stops on a recent tour of all the places in Washington where I stash my loot...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01883.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	353.6 KB
ID:	12490

I rest my case

Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #28
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
I see a lot of the big rig coaches around. Living on a beach which has 30+ RV resorts in a 7 mile strip, I see a lot of RVers, and my understanding is that most folks who have them, are fulltimers not vacationers, and they don't have a house because it IS their house, and they choose their rig because it was the most "house-like" one they could find. I also hear them complaining of needing $500 to fill their gas tanks. Based on folks I've talked to, the ones with big rigs live a more "relaxed" lifestyle, staying at "vacation resorts" with pools and activities, while those with small rigs lead more "active" lifestyles and do more hiking, biking, climbing, camping, fishing, outdoor's things. (At least this is what I've personally observed of the folks who come to Maine in their RVs.)

Doesn't bother me one way or the other what folks have, because every one is different and each person/family gets what they feel is best for their lifestyle.

My income is $2,000 per year, (yes, I'm living on $100 - $150 per month) I make that by selling photography on Zazzle.com. People ask me often, how I am able to survive. They also ask me often why I do not strive to be successful. Successful? I ask what they mean, and they say, "Well, don't you want more money?" Since when does more money = success? I have enough money to feed myself and my 12 cats. My clothes are the same ones I've worn for 20+ years. I have one pair of shoes and I only replace them when they wear out and that's only once every 3 or 4 years. I read books and watch DVDs that I get free from Inter-Library-Loan. All I buy is food and I don't buy much of that, so all I really buy is catfood and that's only $75 a month, so tell me WHY do I NEED more money than I make now?

I grew up here on this beach. In a house. Every year we'd sit by the road and watch the RVs go by...row after row of dozens upon dozens of them. They say we get 2 million tourists here in Old Orchard Beach every year, with about half of them coming in RVs. I have seen A LOT of RVs in my life. My land is bordered on 3 sides by RV parks, one with 200 lots, one with 400 lots, and one with a whopping 725 lots. I spent 27 years of my life living with RV people all around me every day, all year long, but never once even considered the thought of myself become one of the RV folks that filled so much of my life. But than life happened.

Let me tell you a story...

I lost everything to a flood. Was quite happy living in a house, had no plans to stop doing so, than one day there was no house. Lots of water. Lots of rubble. Lots of mud. But no house. I lived in a "home made tent" (a 8x6 tarp thrown over a woodpile) for the next few years. Eventually got a car and lived in that instead, while still also living under the tarp-tent-thing. After 5 years of "homelessness", I moved into an apartment, and HATED being indoors. OMG! I had spent those 5 years with one goal: to get back inside a house, only to reach that goal and realize, I really, really, really HATED living indoors! So it was back to the land (which I still owned, but still had no house on it, where the tent-thing still stands to this very day) to try to figure out what to do next.

In my 5 years of "homelessness" I had learned to love living without a house. I learned to love cooking over a campfire. I learned to get up with the sun and sleep under the stars. I got used to my radio station being the ocean waves and the screaming seagulls and the singing songbirds. I had learned to love living without electricity, without running water, and without a toilet. I even got use to dealing with thunderstorms, hurricanes, and blizzards with only a 8x6 tarp for protection! Weird, I know, but that's what happened. I got so used to living off the land, that I couldn't fathom going back to house living which now feels like a confining prison to me. I had never lived a normal life, and my house lost to a flood, was a 700 square foot 1 bedroom summer cabin, which I had rarely spent much time in to begin with seeing how I was always too busy being outdoors. I basically only slept in the thing. Going into an apartment, showed me just how much I REALLY detested being indoors.

Logic told me I needed a house of some sort, at least to have a dry/warm place to sleep during Maine's endless rain and snow seasons. And than it hit me: what I needed was a motorhome! It allows me to have a warm dry place during rain and snow and still have the option to live at one with nature, and so I became a fulltimer/boondocker, with no goal of ever traveling at all.

Now, I spent 2 years looking at motorhomes, big, small, wide, skinny, long, short, old, new, ancient. I came to the conclusion that there was no real difference between the $300,000 motorhomes on the dealer's lots and the $1,000 ones in someone's driveway. When I say no real difference, I mean, no advantage worth the price. My needs are few and simple. I cook over an open fire-pit, no need for stove/oven/microwave. I get up with the sun, sleep with the sun, no need for lights. I sleep outside in a sleeping bag unless it's raining or snow, so no need for a bed. I do have 7,000+ comic books, and 12 cats, so all I really needed was lots of shelves, a toilet, space for a sleeping bag when it's raining, and a cat jungle gym. I opted for a $1,000 motorhome off Craigslist. The big classy rig would be pointless for me, I wouldn't use half the stuff that came with it.

I move infrequently, and only back and forth between 3 neighboring towns. If I go on a trip, I do so in my Volvo not my RV. I do have a few travel plans for the future, maybe next year, maybe the year after, not sure. I want to take a trip to the Klondike, specifically the Yukon, exactly Dawson City. Why? "King of the Klondike" by Don Rosa is my favorite book ever written and that's where it is set, and I would like to see in person the town which inspired the book. Also I have several friends from Quebec and I'd like to spend some time there. But other than that, no plans to do much traveling ever, other than locally in Maine. I'm pretty content to stay in one place.

Thing is, I live right on the ocean...I mean, I open the door and I fall in the salt water. I love where I live. I didn't particularly like the house I lived in, though I did live in it for 27 years, because as I said: it's the location I love. I have enough land to grow a vegetable garden, a rose garden, and fruit trees. But I'm all about the ocean. Every night I'm out in tide, jogging the surf waist deep in the waves. Aqua-aerobics keeps me healthy. I'm a major beach bum. But not just any beach suits me. I love the craggy rocked shore, the dense rolling fog, the spooky coves, the gun toting lobstermen, the -48F winters, the howling winds, the screaming gulls - for me this place is absolute heaven. I literally live in the ocean. It's no wonder a flood took my house away, I'm surprised it didn't go sooner. The advantage of a motorhome is, when the next hurricane, nor`easter, blizzard, or thunderstorm comes ripping up the coast (and one or the other arrives every month of the year) it's a simple matter of starting the engine and driving my home inland to sit out the storm, than drive back to the ocean once the storm passes. No more worries of floods taking out the house! LOL!

But anyways, yeah, the big RVs are great for the folks who want them, but they are not my thing. I wouldn't be happy with one. So, my style full-timing is markedly different from most, as it involves no travel at all, and uses a really old beat up RV instead of a new flashy one, but it suits me and I'm happy with it, and in the end, that's all that really matters right?

Being "rich" is a frame of mind. It has nothing to do with money. If you are safe, happy, well feed, warm and dry...you are rich, regardless of anything else. Every morning that you wake up is a good day, be thankful for it.

Originally Posted by GPW View Post
Rich means you can fill the gas tank , no matter the size of the RV ... Wealthy means you paid cash for it ...
I pay cash for my gas. I paid cash for my MH too...less cash than it costs to fill the gas tank. I pay cash for every thing. I don't believe in debts, loans, and credit cards. I'm wealthy! Who knew?

EelKat is offline   Reply With Quote