Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt
Seems you are rich as well. You went on a nice trip, I bet you never missed a meal, had enough to drink whenever you wanted, and always had nice folks around to keep you company. 99% of the folks on earth can't say that about their lives.
Amen.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Good post EelKat... thanks for sharing. What a great, diverse country we live in and share with each other.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by EelKat View Post

Doesn't bother me one way or the other what folks have, because every one is different and each person/family gets what they feel is best for their lifestyle.

My income is $2,000 per year, (yes, I'm living on $100 - $150 per month) I make that by selling photography on Zazzle.com. People ask me often, how I am able to survive.

Sounds pretty cool.

I'm really curious how you pay for electricity, car insurance, motorhome insurance and property taxes on $150/month. And still have money left for food & comic books!

C'mon; share your secrets with us.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #32

I feel like I live like royalty, but it has more to do with appreciation than being "Material Rich"...I always have more than enough to eat daily, can shower daily, have air/heat when I need it. I have a used MH (paid for) and used Honda toad (paid for) and yep, I have to live within a budget. IMHO, If you are lucky enough to have all of your NEEDS met then the rest is pure luxury and I have plenty of luxury Most RVers I've met are just plain nice whether they're in a tiny TT or a full paint new DP. Just another perk of the RV lifestyle, a constant reminder that there are a lot of really nice people out there
Old 07-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by made2care View Post
Well, I have managed to do quite a bit of travelling this
summer and am still amazed at how many high end rigs I saw. And people say the economy is strained, please!! In Red River, NM alone I felt so dwarfed by the huge motorhomes that were easily worth more than the value of my house. There I was , sandwiched between these things that were mountains themselves and of course they had every bell and whistle imagineable. Sounds like I might be a bit envious, maybe to some degree, but I enjoyed my little 26 footer or is it a 28 footer, like an extra 2 feet is going to make that much of a difference. Yes, I know, I have to start somewhere, and sometimes when I seriously look at the monsters of motorhomes, I wonder if the true "camping" experience is compromised. Just a thought .
I believe even if I won the lottery, I would still keep my little keystone and the wife of course
Pics coming soon of the Summer experience.
You might be surprised at how many of those "big rig owners" have "big monthly payments" on their rigs! We have been RVing for 30 years and had everything from tent to 5th wheels. Have enjoyed everything we did over those years with and without the kids. Our only travel companion now has 4 legs (Kuki--Australian Shepard). We are retired and have been fortunate enough to afford a little more luxury in RVing but the wonderful things you see and experience in our country are still the same for us-maybe better.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:47 AM   #34

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I totally get it. I wonder the same thing when I pass monster stick/brick homes -- who lives there and what the heck do they do to afford buying and maintaining something like that!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by go6car View Post
I totally get it. I wonder the same thing when I pass monster stick/brick homes -- who lives there and what the heck do they do to afford buying and maintaining something like that!

A lot of folks make a lot of money and enjoy a nice house / motorhome / boat / airplane, etc. "Rich" is a very relative term. The people I wonder about are the ones with a really fancy motorhome and a modest regular home. Why put the most money into a radically depreciating item?

My opinion is to put the bucks where we use them the most; our home and cars. We spend far less time using our coach, boat, etc.

So, we own very fine home in a premium neighborhood, and have a "lesser" coach, boat, etc. We spend much, much more time at our house than in the coach, boat, etc.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #36

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutrell01 View Post
You might be surprised at how many of those "big rig owners" have "big monthly payments" on their rigs!
And that makes a difference how? If that's what they choose to do then so be it, it's not for anyone to judge.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:53 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I wonder if the true "camping" experience is compromised.
We used to go camping ...we had 3 tents and all the "stuff" to go with them. And we went to true campgrounds where tenting was the norm. Today we are RVers, and we are RVing, and we go to what WE call "RV Parks" ...we don't call them "campgrounds" because to us they are not.

In most places where we park we see both RVers and campers, sometimes distinguishable by the "stuff" they put outside (or don't), and/or by their activities in/around the rig, and sometimes by the fact that they actually set up a tent!

Most RV parks/campgrounds are much like the rail trails that I like to ride on my bicycles ...they are dual (or multiple) use facilities used by walkers, runners, roller bladers, bicycles, and sometimes even horses ...and RV parks/campground are used by RVers, RV campers, and tent campers. To each their own !!
Old 07-28-2011, 04:10 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by made2care View Post
Well, I have managed to do quite a bit of travelling this
summer and am still amazed at how many high end rigs I saw. And people say the economy is strained, please!! In Red River, NM alone I felt so dwarfed by the huge motorhomes that were easily worth more than the value of my house. There I was , sandwiched between these things that were mountains themselves and of course they had every bell and whistle imagineable. Sounds like I might be a bit envious, maybe to some degree, but I enjoyed my little 26 footer or is it a 28 footer, like an extra 2 feet is going to make that much of a difference. Yes, I know, I have to start somewhere, and sometimes when I seriously look at the monsters of motorhomes, I wonder if the true "camping" experience is compromised. Just a thought .
I believe even if I won the lottery, I would still keep my little keystone and the wife of course
Pics coming soon of the Summer experience.
I have had just about every variation of camper. Tent,pickup, trailer, 5th wheel, and now an old Motorhome. I have found that this community of campers has great people to talk to and associate with. In my 70 years I have found many people not as well off as me but I have found a lot more that are much better off. So! I could care less. With the time I have left I just want to enjoy life and RVing is part of it.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:44 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
Seems you are rich as well. You went on a nice trip, I bet you never missed a meal, had enough to drink whenever you wanted, and always had nice folks around to keep you company. 99% of the folks on earth can't say that about their lives.
Well put!
Old 07-30-2011, 07:53 AM   #40

What you are looking at are "Dreams"...you left your home back at the ranch. Many of those people sold their homes and live in their RVs full time. They had dreamt for years of owning one of those big fancy Motorhomes and traveling the country. It has absolutely nothing to do with camping.
Your "campground" has a dump station and a good view...that may be the only part of "The Dream" you share with them.
Rest assured though, they are in a different "place" i life. You will likely find their story facinating and will no doubt meet some really neat, facinating people if you simply go over and say high....and hey, you may someday find yourself doing that very same thing and find yourself looking out the window of your big MG wondering "why is that nice young man looking at us like that?"
This is an interesting thread. You are a young man unaware of the stages of life a man goes through. You see them from your stage, your looking glass. They see you through theirs and admire your dedication to take your family camping with your modest means and enjoy the best of life. Enjoy, be sincerely grateful and cherish the view!
Old 07-30-2011, 09:54 AM   #41

looking glass self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaravelli View Post
What you are looking at are "Dreams"...you left your home back at the ranch. Many of those people sold their homes and live in their RVs full time. They had dreamt for years of owning one of those big fancy Motorhomes and traveling the country. It has absolutely nothing to do with camping.
Your "campground" has a dump station and a good view...that may be the only part of "The Dream" you share with them.
Rest assured though, they are in a different "place" i life. You will likely find their story facinating and will no doubt meet some really neat, facinating people if you simply go over and say high....and hey, you may someday find yourself doing that very same thing and find yourself looking out the window of your big MG wondering "why is that nice young man looking at us like that?"
This is an interesting thread. You are a young man unaware of the stages of life a man goes through. You see them from your stage, your looking glass. They see you through theirs and admire your dedication to take your family camping with your modest means and enjoy the best of life. Enjoy, be sincerely grateful and cherish the view!
Thank you for this insight. Applying the "Looking glass self theory" can to a certain extent, explain all this. You are correct, I am at a different stage than those big rig owners, and true, I might reach that stage someday.
I hope I did not offend anyone with this post. Remember, I am new to all this and am still awed as to the size and #'s of these rigs I saw throughout my Summer travels. Many of you have mentioned that I should appreciate what I have and made referrence to 3rd world countries and so on. I appreciate those comments as well. I truly am enjoying this RVing adventure and sincerely do appreciate the members of this forum whom have helped me with quite a few RVing issues.
Thanks again
Old 07-30-2011, 10:26 AM   #42

If you are in Good Health you are a wealthy. The biggest bank accounts can not buy it!!!!
Dick