Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #43

At the last two rallies we attended our old style 1989 Foretravel Grand Villa looked as big as a class B Roadtrek. I LOVED it. We did not look like everyone else. People come up and ask the age, comment on the condition, and even ask to tour the inside. I also receive comments like: "Boy, Foretravels are so well built, and I wish I could afford one." My reply? Try $19,900 for this!! We got what we wanted and they got what they wanted at the time. Sometimes the grass isn't greener on the other side. Maybe some of those people are wishing they could have what you do.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2011, 07:00 PM   #44

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
No matter if you are sleeping in a tent in sleeping bags or a multi-100k rig, we're all doing what we want in exploring and relaxing in this greatest nation on earth. Just pick up the newspaper and imagine RVing in any other continent but North America.
I do notice at state parks you will get more tents, pop-ups and trailers (tt's & 5er's) than pushers. In returning from 10 days at a very popular Ohio State Park which was full all 10 days I noticed only 2 or 3 pushers.

I say be happy with what you can afford.....

Had a few friends in their early 50's join us for a day. They couldn't believe all the comforts of home that are in a little 24' tt (hybrid). We call it our "condo on wheels".

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:28 AM   #45

Oh I had camper envy the other day following to good sized 5th wheels in the Catskills. I think it has to do more that we've not been able to go away for 2 summers now and ours is sitting in the yard needing repairs. We both lost our jobs hubby in 08-he had a new job and we were in a head on 2 weeks later and he lost that job because of injuries and me in 09 when I shattered my driving ankle-can't drive a school bus with a cast on. I finally got a civil service job I start in a week and it's going to mean we can actually do more than eat mac and cheese with hot dogs again.

By this time next summer I hope to be out camping again. Hopefully with a new set up altogether as we can downsize since two of our kids are college age-one is only 13 and we want to still have fun. But I totally understand-sometimes I've felt like what did we do wrong in life to have 3 really awful years in a row? But now life is on the upswing again and I feel like we can plan again. Next summer we are going on vacation once again camping and I can't wait!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3541.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	685.6 KB
ID:	12604  

2002 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 quad cab
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:02 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell View Post
Oh I had camper envy the other day following to good sized 5th wheels in the Catskills. I think it has to do more that we've not been able to go away for 2 summers now and ours is sitting in the yard needing repairs. We both lost our jobs hubby in 08-he had a new job and we were in a head on 2 weeks later and he lost that job because of injuries and me in 09 when I shattered my driving ankle-can't drive a school bus with a cast on. I finally got a civil service job I start in a week and it's going to mean we can actually do more than eat mac and cheese with hot dogs again.

By this time next summer I hope to be out camping again. Hopefully with a new set up altogether as we can downsize since two of our kids are college age-one is only 13 and we want to still have fun. But I totally understand-sometimes I've felt like what did we do wrong in life to have 3 really awful years in a row? But now life is on the upswing again and I feel like we can plan again. Next summer we are going on vacation once again camping and I can't wait!
The most important part is that you still have your health and can make plans for the future. For that you are blessed.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:30 PM   #47

I don't care what others have or do. I have a simple life. Our MH is 24 years old and in great condition. It serves the purpose of what we do. Some day I would love to have a nice class c, but I'm not willing to have pmts to get one. The only payment we have is the house and that is far less than an 5 or 6 year of MH would cost. I love to look at other rigs to see what I like or don't like. But not envy. Some people have large MH because they have sold their house and that is their house.

My former inlaws had great jobs, saved greatly, enjoyed retirement and were snowbirds for a few years. They left us early, but still enjoyed their time.

Just enjoy life
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:06 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Happiest times were in our 30yr old single axle trailer with our kids, dog & campfire.
Love our 45' coach too ! Enjoy those wonderful times with your family around the campfire !
Old 09-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
hi made

we started in a tent, then had a westfalia, then a pop up tent trailer, and then a 21 foot tow trailer - or was it a 19 footer? :-)

now we are in a 35 foot class a motohome

BUT now it is very different: we are full timing in the our (having sold the house in july)

regards, pdq
pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:46 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
I've never had much money. But I'm rich in experiences and memories. We (myself and my 7 kids) camped in a tent for years. Then I got a 1977 tent trailer where the only thing that worked in it was the stove. The ice box leaked and it had no bathroom. We loved it and camped for years in it. We even went to a RV rally in it, the only tent trailer there. lol Now we have the 33 year-old RV and we are so happy. It has a bathroom and a shower!! And a refrigerator! It's basically a rolling sleeping place with the afore-mentioned bathroom and kitchen. But we are rich in that, once it's running again, we will again be able to enjoy camping. And will be able to again make good memories as a family.
svdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:08 PM   #51

Well now lets see... My husband and I are looking forward to joining in the fun. We just bought a 1972 25' Chinook. So far we've made it from Nampa Id to Boise ID. and half way back to Nampa (about 30 miles all together) before the fuel pump went out. LOL Big first trip.. But we were together and that's all that mattered. Be careful about wonder lust. You stop looking at what you have while you dream and pine for more. So after 2 days of wrench work and a missed 3 day weekend we start to plan the next BIG adventure. We look forward to meeting all of the great people we've talked to on this web site.
Your future friends Olin and Lori (Bravebear clan)
Old 09-07-2011, 12:18 AM   #52

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by go6car View Post
I totally get it. I wonder the same thing when I pass monster stick/brick homes -- who lives there and what the heck do they do to afford buying and maintaining something like that!
We could have done that, but preferred to have a nice stick house AND a reasonably nice MH and taking a few cruises rather than putting it all in "one basket" with a McMansion.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:08 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRoadie
Health, Family, friends, flyfishing, travel... these are what make me rich !

After multiple military injuries, gout, arthritis, two heart attacks and daily reminders of the terrible things I have done I still believe that it all has been worth it... who counts the cost of love and I love everyday that I can talk to my grandchildren, teach them to enjoy and respect the outdoors and be caretakers for this great land.

Everyday I try to remember my own son spent his 22 1/2 years in the military, slept in a "Houch" in the plains of Afghanastan, ate when food was available, slept anytime he could be warm enough to believe he was going to survive the night, did 12 tours in the middle east hell holes and fought in all 3 Gulf Wars. He also has arthritis, PTSD, the disfigurement of injuries that go unnoticed, but shares his two children with me and DW and still believes I am his hero... there can be no price on that !

I do not need a rolling palace, do not covet those that have them, do not feel the need to prove a thing to anyone alive. I have my family and friends and a life that makes me happy to awaken early each day, even though this irritates DW, and beyond that our travels provide icing to the cakes of our lives... who could ask for more that this ?

I do NOT suffer from mental illness, but rather enjoy it daily !
Old 09-07-2011, 05:01 AM   #54

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Everyone is rich except me!!
Whatever.. quite your whining... Come take over my life for awhile... Least you got to do something...
Old 09-07-2011, 09:52 AM   #55

I just "upgraded" from a 1988 Honey A class to a 2000 sunnybrook TT. I live and work in a kampground and see these big rigs all the time. There my be some envy but I don't need to keep up with the Jones's and can't afford it anyway. Enjoy your trailer and the $4000 a month payment you don't have.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
My wife and I have both worked all of our lives to get what we have and to raise our kids. I remember bagging groceries in 1961 for 60 cents an hour, (plus tips), being paid $78 a month in the Navy, and working MANY part time jobs, in addition to my day job. We cut our spending as a way of life and don't have cable TV or new cars, etc. So we are probably not "normal".
Now we have a nice used 2004 diesel motorhome that will serve us well until we have to give it up for the rocking chairs. We are rich in knowing what is really important in life.
We definitely don't envy those with the big new rigs, but enjoy their company and also those with popups or tents. I would have been happy with a teardrop trailer, but my DW would not. So we got a nice home on wheels because she deserves it. She makes my life rich. And being rich is being happy with what you have, and spending less than you earn.