Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #57

KZ RV Club
I think it's a matter of perspective. We have what is considered a high end coach (42' Country Coach), but we're certainly not rich. We bought it smart (i.e. USED), and we're both still working!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #58

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
My wife and I have both worked all of our lives to get what we have and to raise our kids. I remember bagging groceries in 1961 for 60 cents an hour, (plus tips), being paid $78 a month in the Navy, and working MANY part time jobs, in addition to my day job. We cut our spending as a way of life and don't have cable TV or new cars, etc. So we are probably not "normal".
Now we have a nice used 2004 diesel motorhome that will serve us well until we have to give it up for the rocking chairs. We are rich in knowing what is really important in life.
We definitely don't envy those with the big new rigs, but enjoy their company and also those with popups or tents. I would have been happy with a teardrop trailer, but my DW would not. So we got a nice home on wheels because she deserves it. She makes my life rich. And being rich is being happy with what you have, and spending less than you earn.
Nice!... Agree..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:19 PM   #59

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortlance View Post
We have a nice 39 ft. 5er that I worked most of my life to get (I don't believe in loans for toys) and are very happy with it. The nice thing is when you set up at the campgrounds it doesn't matter what you have or how rich you are--everyone treats you the same. We sat by the campfire with Retired lawyers and CPA's and nobody looked down on me because I'm just a blue collar worker. In the RV world it seems that everyone is equal. It really doesn't matter what you have as long as it makes you happy.
EXACTLY!
You meet nicer people camping because there is no competition.
The great equalizer.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #60

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Tent camper next to us...driving a Hummer.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:46 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Very well said Pogo.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodburner View Post
EXACTLY!
You meet nicer people camping because there is no competition.
The great equalizer.
ALSO, most everyones goal is to retire someday. No matter what you did to achieve that goal be it a laborer or a doctor, when you are retired EVERYONE is equal. It makes no differance what you did to get there.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #63

I often wondered how some of my "camping" buddies could afford a big MH. A lot of us use a TH. Well, when I looked into it, I found I could easily upgrade from a 33' TH to a 32' MH with two slides and a 20' enclosed trailer. Took me about 2 hours to find what I liked at good price. Now, when I get to the dunes, I don't have to unload to have living quarters. I can now just turn off the key and unload later. Beer first, then unload.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #64

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Beer first, then unload.
How much beer?

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #65

Not enough so I start talking like that. Close, but not quite.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:40 PM   #66

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Like other posts, we're moved from two pop-ups, one TT, two MH (1 slide then went to 2 slides), and now we're looking to 'downsize' to a TT. And this TT will have to be a light weight so we're looking at about 22 to 24 foot! I'll admit we're a little worried that we've been spoiled but we've decided we'd rather be hassle & worry free as to be stressed while we 'relax' at the campground.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #67

Forest River Owners Club
To many times we think that wealth comes from material things, but that is far from the truth. Just being able to get out and spent quality time with someone that you love is true riches!

Remember sometimes we don’t own stuff, stuff owns us.

Just go out and have fun !
Hitchpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:20 AM   #68

I'm always amused when I see a house with a boat or an RV in the yard that's worth more than the house. I guess it's all a matter of priorities.

We wanted to go camping, not temporarily living somewhere else! We could have afforded almost any RV, but bought a 17' EggCamper because it had everything we need for our style of short-term camping. The longest we've ever stayed in one campground is four nights and our longest trip has been six nights. I have yet to see an RV that I would enjoy long-term as much as we enjoy our house - my wife needs three rooms just for her quilting obsession and I don't think I could fit my woodworking equipment into even the largest RV.
Yarcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #69

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarcola View Post
I'm always amused when I see a house with a boat or an RV in the yard that's worth more than the house. I guess it's all a matter of priorities.

We wanted to go camping, not temporarily living somewhere else! We could have afforded almost any RV, but bought a 17' EggCamper because it had everything we need for our style of camping. The longest we've ever stayed in one campground is four nights and our longest trip has been six nights. I have yet to see a campground that I would enjoy long-term as much as we enjoy our house, (my wife needs three rooms just for her quilting obsession!).

I see you've driven by my house...

Seriously, though-
We're more "getaway" campers, too...
If we had an RV more luxurious than our house, it wouldn't feel like camping to us!

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #70

Who is rich?* He who rejoices in his portion.* ~The Talmud
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote