Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #1

Everyone is rich except me!!

Well, I have managed to do quite a bit of travelling this
summer and am still amazed at how many high end rigs I saw. And people say the economy is strained, please!! In Red River, NM alone I felt so dwarfed by the huge motorhomes that were easily worth more than the value of my house. There I was , sandwiched between these things that were mountains themselves and of course they had every bell and whistle imagineable. Sounds like I might be a bit envious, maybe to some degree, but I enjoyed my little 26 footer or is it a 28 footer, like an extra 2 feet is going to make that much of a difference. Yes, I know, I have to start somewhere, and sometimes when I seriously look at the monsters of motorhomes, I wonder if the true "camping" experience is compromised. Just a thought .
I believe even if I won the lottery, I would still keep my little keystone and the wife of course
Pics coming soon of the Summer experience.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #2

Interesting post... I would have to say many of the folks traveling by "luxury motorcoach" are really not "camping". They are RV'ing. Neither is by nature better or worse, just different. We rarely if ever stay in highly developed kampgrounds, preferring the open desert, dry "primitive" campgrounds in the mountains, or at race tracks when we're racing.

Your fifth-wheel fills your needs, and satisfies you. That's all that is required of an RV. Oftentime, those with the biggest toys simply have the biggest egos. and often the biggest payments!

By the way, one of my kids did have a "win the lottery" type of event last year. They could have bought a nice diesel pusher (like mine!). Their choice: a used 32' fifth-wheel toyhauler. Smart kids we raised...

Old 07-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by made2care View Post
Well, I have managed to do quite a bit of travelling this
summer and am still amazed at how many high end rigs I saw. And people say the economy is strained, please!! In Red River, NM alone I felt so dwarfed by the huge motorhomes that were easily worth more than the value of my house. There I was , sandwiched between these things that were mountains themselves and of course they had every bell and whistle imagineable. Sounds like I might be a bit envious, maybe to some degree, but I enjoyed my little 26 footer or is it a 28 footer, like an extra 2 feet is going to make that much of a difference. Yes, I know, I have to start somewhere, and sometimes when I seriously look at the monsters of motorhomes, I wonder if the true "camping" experience is compromised. Just a thought .
I believe even if I won the lottery, I would still keep my little keystone and the wife of course
Pics coming soon of the Summer experience.
It makes no differance what you have. I have progressed from My bedroll on the ground, to my bedroll on a tarp on the ground, to a station wagon, to a camper on an old truck, to a camper on a newer truck, to a used 32ft Motorhome, to a used 34ft Motorhome with slides. My neighbors think it's HUGE but when we are in around other Motorhomes I feel like the Beverly Hillbillies.
If you buy a 5th wheel and a Pickup, on your first trip to Camping World there will be a 5th wheel being pulled by a Peterbuilt.

Moral of this story ; enjoy what you have and what you can afford, you will live a long, happy life.
I also am amazed at the size and the amount of these RV's rolling down the road.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Seems you are rich as well. You went on a nice trip, I bet you never missed a meal, had enough to drink whenever you wanted, and always had nice folks around to keep you company. 99% of the folks on earth can't say that about their lives.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am recently unemployed 45 year old and worked all my life to get where i am all is paid for except motorhome ... I went without a lot of wants to get to this point and now since i am not working i am far from rich but sitting well and still take my trips and enjoy my time till i go back to work. So one does not need to be rich to have things that look or are expensive a lot of people work or worked hard to get where they are and they deserve it just as much you with your rig and i bet there are people who think you are well off its just ones perception of what they think is rich.. I believe i am rich in a lot more things than money for my health , wife ,kids and all of our family that is still alive a clicking. Enjoy what you have because we all have a short time on this ball that spins in space so make the most of it while you can

safe travels to all maybe ill see ya on the road
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
GPW

You just notice the MHs cause' they're so BIG !!! Like a Bus !!! Can't miss em' !!!

Everybody's trying to go Bigger.... I'm trying to go smaller ... Just easier to deal with all around !!!
Old 07-24-2011, 03:12 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't feel bad about your rig. I have a 22 year old trailer and a 9 year old truck and I am very happy with them.

Ken
Old 07-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by made2care View Post
I wonder if the true "camping" experience is compromised.
I just bought my first RV, a 32' 2005 Bounder MH. I'm still not sure if I consider it "camping" if I can't get everything I need in my backpack or in the hatches of my kayak.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I subscribe to the notion that there is a difference between camping and RVing. We did the camping thing for many years. Our expectations and our circumstances changed over the years. The RV allows us to take our own home to new venues in which we'd like to spend time. Our first RV was all of 15', no bathroom. We have almost tripled the length and have added a couple bathrooms over the years. A combination of luck and hard work has given us the resources to do so, but we'd also be happy traveling in our 18' travel trailer (sorry, not going back to the one with no bathroom at all ) if that's all our circumstances could withstand. We enjoy making new friends and the campfire company, no matter what manner of transportation or RV got them to the park.

So, if you ever see our "mountain" parked next to you, walk over and introduce yourself.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
We have a nice 39 ft. 5er that I worked most of my life to get (I don't believe in loans for toys) and are very happy with it. The nice thing is when you set up at the campgrounds it doesn't matter what you have or how rich you are--everyone treats you the same. We sat by the campfire with Retired lawyers and CPA's and nobody looked down on me because I'm just a blue collar worker. In the RV world it seems that everyone is equal. It really doesn't matter what you have as long as it makes you happy.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
(sorry, not going back to the one with no bathroom at all ) if that's all our circumstances could withstand.
So, if you ever see our "mountain" parked next to you, walk over and introduce yourself.
I hear ya, gotta have that bathroom.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:43 PM   #12

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Whether we pull into a campground and pitch a tent or park a million dollar Prevost class "A" pulling a $50,000 SUV in a FHU pull-thru site, we're all here for the same reason; and as long as we don't lose sight of that fact, camping (or RVing) will live forever.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #13

Wrong places

You are clearly staying in the wrong places for camping. Most of the places we go you couldn't get much of anything bigger than our 30 ft motorhome into and if you did the trees would block the satellite access, the surface isn't level enough for those will little ground clearance, the trees might scratch the paint, the curves are too curvy or there isn't power to power all the goodies so the big ones wouldn't want to go there. Most times were the only Motorhome there and we look huge. When were at the shop or surrounded by the gigantic widebodies with full basements we look puny.

If you want to feel rich think of all the great places you can take your motorhome that the gigantic beasts can't go. If yours is paid off you can also feel pretty smug about that as probably most of the big beasts are not. If they default, the banks take the hit, the government bails out the banks and the rest of us end up paying the bill. The rich ones are the ones that could pay for their rig. The others are just in alot of debt.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:55 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
The nice thing is when you set up at the campgrounds it doesn't matter what you have or how rich you are--everyone treats you the same. We sat by the campfire with Retired lawyers and CPA's and nobody looked down on me because I'm just a blue collar worker. In the RV world it seems that everyone is equal. It really doesn't matter what you have as long as it makes you happy.
I agree with this most of our friends now are people we have met while camping some middle class upper middle class and some just rich and they dont care how much we have or they have money wise but we all have great times together camping or should i say RVING LOL!!!!!!!

mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote