Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2018, 07:22 PM   #1

Exceeding the GVWR of a travel trailer

We looked at a trailer (Little Guy Max) with a dry weight of 3140 lbs and a GVWR of 3800 lbs. I did the math and found we just just about exceed the GVWR when including myself, wife, daughter, 2 dogs, luggage, and water on board. Do I understand this correctly?

We have looked at other brands that can handle more heft including Lance and Northwood (Nash).

Have others run into this problem of nearing the cargo capacity? Perhaps this just suggests that the manufacturers did not intend this trailer to have more than 2 people (despite having room for 3-4 to sleep).

Thanks for your thoughts.
Driftless RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2018, 07:39 PM   #2

Exceeding the GVWR of a travel trailer

The GVWR is for the trailer while being towed. You shouldn’t have people in it while you’re towing. That said, the weight doesn’t allow for much gear and water. The GVWR where you and the dogs becomes an issue is with your tow vehicle. The tow vehicle needs to be sufficient to carry you, your passengers and gear, and the tongue weight of the trailer.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:43 PM   #3

I need some clarification. Did you exceed the GVWR of the trailer while you were towing it, or did you exceed the GVWR while it was parked at a camp site, etc? If you are talking about exceeding the GVWR while parked, I dont think that would be an issue unless you were extremely overweight.
NDIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:46 PM   #4

I see where I might be confused. I thought the GVWR of a travel trailer was similar to cargo capacity. Of course the trailer will only have lugge and water in transit. I was worried about the weight in the trailer when parked.

I thought the GVWR also represented the max weight allowed in the trailer, even when parked?
Old 08-29-2018, 07:47 PM   #5

I am talking about when parked. I did the math of how much weight would be on the trailer when fully loaded, parked. Does GVWR only apply when the trailer is being towed?
Old 08-29-2018, 07:52 PM   #6

The gross weight would be on the axle when towing. When parked, you probably have the stabilizers down, as well as the tongue jack which would spread out the weight even more. As long as you are under the gvwr while towing, you will be fine.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
The gross weight would be on the axle when towing. When parked, you probably have the stabilizers down, as well as the tongue jack which would spread out the weight even more. As long as you are under the gvwr while towing, you will be fine.
That makes sense. I guess I am nervous about having too much weight in the trailer. I have a tow vehicle that is more than enough for the trailer.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:36 PM   #8

I appreciate everyone's insight as I work to understand this information. I would appreciate clarification as I find competing definitions in my research.

Some sources say a travel trailer's GVWR is the weight that should never be exceeded (in travel or stationary), while some sources specify that GVWR refers to the max weight while the vehicle is traveling.

Any thoughts? Again, I just want to make sure I am not making the weight of a trailer when it is fully loaded for boondocking.

Tom
Old 08-29-2018, 08:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftless RV View Post
I appreciate everyone's insight as I work to understand this information. I would appreciate clarification as I find competing definitions in my research.

Some sources say a travel trailer's GVWR is the weight that should never be exceeded (in travel or stationary), while some sources specify that GVWR refers to the max weight while the vehicle is traveling.

Any thoughts? Again, I just want to make sure I am not making the weight of a trailer when it is fully loaded for boondocking.

Tom

It's a good question. I'm not sure what the manufactures have to say on it. One thing to keep in mind is that the loaded weight is going to have much more of an affect and impact on things when on the road than it's going to have while stationary. Bouncing down the road, cornering etc will result in dynamic loads significantly higher than stationary loads as things bounce, flex and otherwise stress things much more than while stationary. It's just an opinion though which I can't base on any written guidance.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:51 PM   #10

The GVWR of a trailer is the total of the trailer (not just the weight on the wheels), and everything in it when going down the road. It is a rating required by law, so you know what is safe, and the authorities can use to say if you are over weight.

Has nothing to do with what is done when the trailer is parked. As stated, the weight is spread out by the stabilizers, when parked. Plus, the dynamics on the frame, hitch, and axle, are way different when parked, compared to moving down the road.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:36 AM   #11

As a quick comparison, take your hammer, put your thumb on the workbench. Push the hammer on thumb as hard as you can. That is the load on a parked trailer. For going down the road? Hit thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superburban View Post
The GVWR of a trailer is the total of the trailer (not just the weight on the wheels), and everything in it when going down the road. It is a rating required by law, so you know what is safe, and the authorities can use to say if you are over weight.
Not quite.
The Gross Vehicle Weight of a trailer is the total of the trailer (not just the weight on the wheels), and everything in it when going down the road. The GVWRating is the maximum GVW the vehicle is designed for.
Also, I paid a lawyer quite a bit of money so a judge could explain to a LEO that the only "weight rating" that is enforced by law is the tire load rating...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

Not quite.
The Gross Vehicle Weight of a trailer is the total of the trailer (not just the weight on the wheels), and everything in it when going down the road. The GVWRating is the maximum GVW the vehicle is designed for.
Correct, I was wanting to stress that it includes the weight on the tongue, and did not think the wording through.

Quote:
Also, I paid a lawyer quite a bit of money so a judge could explain to a LEO that the only "weight rating" that is enforced by law is the tire load rating...
All depends on where you are, and what laws they are going by. Get off the interstates, there are all kinds of crazy & strangely worded laws.

Just like you never know if the weight limit signs are the actual weight, or the GVRW.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superburban View Post
Correct, I was wanting to stress that it includes the weight on the tongue, and did not think the wording through.
Yes, but if trying to teach it is important to make clear the difference between a weight and a rating.

Quote:
All depends on where you are, and what laws they are going by. Get off the interstates, there are all kinds of crazy & strangely worded laws.

Just like you never know if the weight limit signs are the actual weight, or the GVRW.GVWR
The weight rating never hurt a bridge, so it's the weight that matters. Now I'm sure that some officers might write somebody for there rating, but I bet the fine is low enough that nobody hires a lawyer. Now a town can place any kind of limits as far as weights on streets, as long as they don't restrict commerce...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:28 PM   #14

This is an international site with members from all over. Lets not make blanket statements what towns can or can't do.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer