Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2019, 06:57 AM   #43

High current ground lugs

There is no need to replace the grounding lugs unless you can detect a voltage drop across the connection. Corrosion such as is shown in your picture is normal. Replacements will look the same in one or two years. Set your DC voltmeter on low voltage setting and measure voltage drop from the wire to the frame. You may need to clean a bare spot on the frame to get a good connection. Turn your lighting load on. Volts should be much less than 0.5. Most likely you will not be able to detect any voltage.
If you must replace the lugs, duplicate lugs are fine. Cleaning the contact surfaces including frame around screw and the screw itself are mandatory. However, crimp type loop connecters are the best you can get for automotive, RV, and Marine use. I paint over the connectors after proper installation. You can get a small can of marine insulating paint with brush built into the cap. It is in the marine or automotive electrical section of your hardware store. It is designed for this application.
Proper crimping with a pliers type crimping tool is best. I bought the hammer type. It works poorly and inconsistently. I had to put it in a large bench vise to reliably get a proper crimp.
Solder is a poor conductor and should not be used for high current applications. Many people do it and swear by it, but tests show it is not nearly as good as a tight crimp. Star washers are not recommended except in special applications. They will increase resistance. Clean dry tight connections are best.
This might be a good case for taking it to a proper automotive, marine, or RV shop where proper tools and fittings will be available.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2019, 09:51 AM   #44

Excessive voltage drop... time to deal with it

Excellent. I値l run this test before I start replacing the lugs. What sort of voltage should I be looking for if it痴 a ground connection problem from the lug pictured above?
RustyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:50 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyDave View Post
Excellent. I値l run this test before I start replacing the lugs. What sort of voltage should I be looking for if it痴 a ground connection problem from the lug pictured above?
The voltage from the wire to the frame should be 0 volts when your lighting load is turned on. The same should be true measuring across every connection.

In this case you are looking for a problem that is causing a 1 volt line loss. We have been measuring from the positive side to negative side. Again we were looking for 1 volt or more loss. So, 13 volts at the battery dropping to 12 volts at the point being tested.

An alternative is to measure across the connection joint or from one end to the other of a wire. In this case you should see 0 volts. 0.1 or a little more is undesirable, but you are still looking for 1 volt.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:34 AM   #46

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0803.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	583.7 KB
ID:	258493

Got some crimping tools from my buddy. Time to go check the voltage losses and hopefully repair some weak ground connections.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:03 PM   #47

I知 seeing a .04-.05 voltage reading when I do the circuit breaker test. I知 seeing a 0 to 0.01 voltage reading when I do the ground test off the back of the trailer by the panel.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:14 PM   #48

Have you tested the switches that you were having issues with yet? Same test as breaker.
hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:20 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly3 View Post
Have you tested the switches that you were having issues with yet? Same test as breaker.

I checked the switch on both ends. It痴 showing about .05-.06v with the lights on. Replaced the switch. Showing the same.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:11 PM   #50

Excessive voltage drop... time to deal with it

Ok.
So I致e replaced the c/b by the batt. Replaced the positive wire from batt to junction box. Replaced the ground that feeds the common bus. Replaced the light switch.

My voltages read under load of the lights today. Batt 12.6, panel 12.2 (better) but switch 11.1. When I turn the lights off everything reads the same.

Need further guidance before I drive this off into a ditch.

On a side note with the furnace going I知 seeing the same 12.6 batt 12.2 panel.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:10 PM   #51

95% of all RV electric problems are the ground problems. Start cleaning all your connections , if any are really bad, use your meter to be sure the voltage is on the right leg. If you get a. Minus sign on the voltage, switch the wires.
burglary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:40 PM   #52

I'd go back to the beginning and measure the parasitic current at the battery. It's significant enough in today's RVs that almost all have a battery disconnect switch now. When not in use, turn the switch off or disconnect one side of the battery.
danking49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:36 PM   #53

Ok. So I have good power at the panel now with the lights on. That voltage drop is in range for the gauge of wire.
Where I知 lost now is at the switch. With the power off it reads normal but as soon as I throw the switch voltage drops from 12.8 to 11.1 at the switch. Both sides. Voltage on both sides of the fuse is normal.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:40 PM   #54

I been doing some research in going solar. I found that the charging votage is important and 13.6 may be low for a full charge. Call the manufacture of the batteries and ask what the charging voltage for their should be.

Quote:
Good day everyone.
New to this forum but I'm on my 3rd travel trailer. I'm having some electrical issues and would love to solve this myself prior to calling someone out to deal with it at $150 an hour.
Last camping season we started to get the low voltage warning on the CO detector. Long story short, I took it to the rv place and they said everything was fine and that my batteries weren't charged enough. Charged them for a week and got the alarm again at 4 am dry camping on the second night. I have a 2000 generator and would keep it going for 4 hours daily and I'm very conservative with my power usage. I then purchased new 6v volt batteries and a new Safety Alert unit and the problem continued. Frustrated, I disconnected the CO alarm and bought a battery operated one from home depot (although it doesn't have the propane alarm). I've been using it that way this season but figure it's time to deal with this problem.
Now please excuse me if I don't describe this properly. I've been using this forum to try to trouble shoot but I need some further guidance.
I've plugged the trailer into shore power and I'm getting 13.5 volts at the batteries. They're generally sitting around 13v at this point so the charging unit is working. Also, when I put a load on the batteries, the voltage returns to a previous level after 30 minutes of rest. I've crossed off the batteries and the charging unit off as potential problems.
My overhead lights in the main part of the trailer have 4 sets of fixtures that hold 2 bulbs each (non LED). The odd time when I put the switch on for these they don't turn on for about 5 seconds. That problem is intermittent. I figure this might be the low voltage problem area so I've been focusing on that.
Today, I hooked up the voltmeter to run some test at that light switch. Voltage at the light switch on the battery side was 13.3 but as soon as I turned the switch on it dropped to 12.2 (2 of the 4 light fixtures were selected for this test, 2 bulbs each). I figure that's a significant drop and not even using all 4 fixtures. I decided to test each of the four fixtures separately and each time I turned them on I got a drop from about 13v to 12.46 on all four fixtures individually. Also the voltage seemed to be dropping about .01 every 10-15 seconds. Just out of curiosity I tested the voltage and turned on the bedroom light (separate switch from the other 4 fixtures but same kind of fixture) and it read 12.8 at the same testing location. So basically I'm seeing about a .45v drop for the same kind of fixture on the problem switch area.
So I'm getting good voltage coming to the light switch but when I turn it on with 1-4 of the fixtures attached to the switch I'm seeing big drops compared to the other fixtures in the unit.
I guess I'm looking for guidance from here. I will be switching to LED but I'd like to figure out why I'm getting this low voltage alarm first.
I have a 2011 KZ Spree 281BHS. We love the unit but this problem is driving me nuts.
RichRVat71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:51 PM   #55

Quote:
Ok. So I have good power at the panel now with the lights on. That voltage drop is in range for the gauge of wire.
Where I知 lost now is at the switch. With the power off it reads normal but as soon as I throw the switch voltage drops from 12.8 to 11.1 at the switch. Both sides. Voltage on both sides of the fuse is normal.

I just tested a different switch on the same circuit and getting the same results.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:54 PM   #56

Wide spread electrical corrosion

Apparently you have wide spread corrosion of electrical components. Small improvements from multiple wires, connections, and devices tend to support this conclusion.

I have detailed two methods of measuring voltage drop. Use them on all possible connections and devices. The alternative not including dumping it into a ditch is to hire an RV electrical mechanic to do the search and replace for you. Independent RV repair shops generally do excellent work. Franchised mega RV dealers generally don't do as well.

PS,
You need to fully charge your batteries again. Storing at 12.6 is starting to get a little low for long battery life.