Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2011, 06:19 AM   #1

Extended warrantys

We may be purchasing a used 2011 Windjammer 3008 this week and need to purchase a warranty as the original warranty from the previous owner cant be transferred thru the dealership (its a trade in). The dealership gave us a company and brochure, just wondering if anyone has info that can help us make a good choice.
toadswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2011, 06:36 AM   #2

I am anti-extended warranty for all purchases and my spouse and I often disagree about this. Most, if not all retailers make a lot of money from selling extended warranties. That's why the finance person at an auto dealership is paid a commission if they can successfully "up charge" you when you close the deal.

I'm not saying the warranties are worthless. But, is the warranty company really going to pay out when you need it most? My experience is they will find every reason they can to not pay out. My suggestion is to set aside some money each month just for RV repairs and don't touch it for any reason until you absolutely have to. It's called "self insurance."
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadswife View Post
We may be purchasing a used 2011 Windjammer 3008 this week and need to purchase a warranty as the original warranty from the previous owner cant be transferred thru the dealership (its a trade in). The dealership gave us a company and brochure, just wondering if anyone has info that can help us make a good choice.
I just love it when a person asks for information and someone else comes back and says why they shouldn't do it.

You may not be aware, but a "warranty" is really a service contract. I'm a firm believer in them as I'm not a mechanic and have benefitted from owning them.

All that said, Google ACC and see if they have what you want. They may be listed in the Vendors section of the forum, but I haven't tried that. I've been pleased with them.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:01 AM   #4
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden View Post
I just love it when a person asks for information and someone else comes back and says why they shouldn't do it.

You may not be aware, but a "warranty" is really a service contract. I'm a firm believer in them as I'm not a mechanic and have benefitted from owning them.
The person that may be interested in a service contract will never hear about the very big negatives from the dealer. Where else are they going to find out about both sides?

I think that the service contracts are a waste of money. Most people will never even come close to making back their investment in them. The insurance companies and people selling them make a LOT of profit off of them. Sure, there will be some that make their money back if they have some very expensive repair. But, most will not. There are so many 'gotchas' built into the fine print that are solely designed to enable the insurance company to avoid payment. If one thinks that they may be interested, get a copy of the contract with the fine print and requirements for making a claim. Read it very carefully so they know what is and is not covered and what is required to make a claim.

Personally, I would never buy one of the contracts. If I felt I needed the 'warm fuzzy feeling' of having a cash buffer to pay for any future failures, I would take the money (plus interest if financing) that would be paid for the contract and put it into a savings account. Then if any failure occurs that would be covered under the contract, take the money out of the account less the deductible. The odds are very high that there will be a lot of cash left in the account when the contract would have expired.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:23 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think it more appropriate to answer the OP question and THEN - if you have had the experience - add your comments. This OP asked a question which wasn't answered by you or another person who preceded your answer. You apparently have never owned a service contract so your opinions are simply that - opinions. Many people happen to agree with them but they have nothing to do with the original question unless you first answer the question itself.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:24 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
when i purchased our new 09 holiday rambler it had no warranty due to bankruptcy as part of deal i asked for and received a 1 year extended warranty as part of the sale ,negotiated after i reached a selling price i was happy with, dont know how good it was never had to use it'. just be sure it wasnt traded due to unresolved issues than GO FORTH AND ENJOY
brianj
Old 08-28-2011, 09:36 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, they may offer a buffer. But, read the fine print and understand what they do and especially what they DO NOT cover. I had one and they refused to reinburst us for a new air conditioner that shorted out. They said they declined the claim because it wasn't installed properly. It shorted out because the unit on 20 amp service and the wires overheated, burned and caused the short. I pursued the claim and had documentation from an engineering firm to prove my claim. Claim denied, read the fine print. And most warrenty service policys contracts clearly state that "THEY are the sole deciding what is a valid claim." Dealers make a lot of money off these contracts.
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:51 AM   #8

The original manufacturers warranty is just that - backed by the manufacturer.

Dealers make huge profits on the sale of these extended warranties but do not back them when its claims time.

Extended warranties and service contracts are offered by independent companies with widely unpredictable claims history. FYI Consumer Reports magazine rated extended service contracts as not recommended. Their cost versus return and poor claims service make them a poor risk.

P.S. As mentioned many have trouble getting any claim honored as the extended service adjusters deny most claims as a matter of course.
jamesgr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:00 AM   #9

I have an EazyCare warranty and I just called Cummins in St Louis to do some work on my engine and they said after dealing with Good Sams for hours on the phone, they done working with any warranty company. The will fix it but won't even call for approval. That's just great. Have to find someone else to work on it. The service manager said he spends more time on the phone than what takes to fix the problem.

Thank you Good Sams
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:02 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I think it more appropriate to answer the OP question and THEN - if you have had the experience - add your comments. This OP asked a question which wasn't answered by you or another person who preceded your answer. You apparently have never owned a service contract so your opinions are simply that - opinions. Many people happen to agree with them but they have nothing to do with the original question unless you first answer the question itself.

I think the way it works is people offer up their opinions and the OP decides if it helps---not sure they need additional help. In this case they wanted to make a "good choice" whether to get one or not-----in order to do that it helps to hear both sides. They seem capable of deciding the value of what they read here.

To the OP: One consideration is how much warranty already exist on equipment in the RV----most appliances and AV stuff has warranties in effect--short term. Same with chasis etc----so in a sense you will double insure some of this stuff for a while.

We bought our rig new and did get a seven year plan and ultimately were glad we did---it cost $2400. So the benefit is weighing the "possibility" of something major going wrong and the cost of the coverage and does it seem worth the comfort level you get from knowing you have coverage for something major. It's kind of like major medical on your health insurance. Also you need to research the viability of the company providing the service---are they going to be around. Our company eventually failed but long after our warranty expired. Otherwise they paid everything each time we had a claim.

RV repairs do not take a long time to get very expensive----our local rate is $120. per hour---just to take a peek. Something to consider as well.

Also if you are capable of doing repairs even some advanced things and you enjoy it and have tools then I suppose that is something to consider. Since we are out of warranty I do most of the repairs anymore. I learn a lot of "how to" from folks on this site.

Hope this is of some help---good luck
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Just how did your first answer help the OP or the ones since?

First off the OP didn't even give the Name of the company only.
"The dealership gave us a company and brochure"
So anyone that has the Co. they have info on. Can't give them a good or bad info on it.

Second, the OP "ask for any info that can help us make a good choice"
Many of the posters you were blasting being anti warranty may have had experience or not with them. Makes no difference as they were giving the OP info that may or may not help them.
But it is not up to you to decide what should be posted.

I just love it when someone thinks they are a self appointed moderator.

Myself I checked out the warranty on GS several years ago. And for the yearly price they wanted. And looking at all the things in the small print they don't cover. Passed on it and insured myself. Now 8 years later I am many $$$$ ahead.

But for advice to the OP it all depends on what you are comfortable with.
If you can do a lot of your own repairs. Like if you can change a leveling jack seal, replace a AC fan etc. It may not be for you.

But if you couldn't pay for with cash or finance a new transmission or engine. And are losing sleep over that all the time. Then get one.
But do read all the not covered items in any of the warranty policy's.
They are not all the same or the same price.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:14 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First I would call Forrest River and find out if the trailer warranty can be transfered or not. I don't believe dealers and I don't believe an extended warranty on a towable makes good sense. "But" I bought an extended warranty on our 04 motorhome with only 13,000 miles after a "loud" discussion with the wife. I lost the "bout" we bought the policy and 5,000. miles later we were 2,000 miles from home with broken engine. The warranty company came through and we got a new engine.
It would take a lot of months of tucking away money to get to $14,000. 2cents from

Mike
Old 08-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #13

Thanks everyone. Will weigh the options and choices and also call FR on the warranty. Previous owner only had it 2 weeks
toadswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Always an interesting discussion. MANY variables involved. I can't speak to the wisdom of buying one for a trailer but when we bought our first ever RV four years ago... a new 40 DP... I wanted the peace of mind having one would bring.

We purchased a policy from Easy Care and four years later couldn't be more happy with their support. I believe I've submitted about a dozen claims already and they have never balked once and I've never had to even contact them myself... since the shops I've used work with them directly and tell me they are a pleasure to work with.

Yes these are high margin products for the dealers. I'm sure I paid WAY too much for mine due to my ignorance. The price of these things is very negotiable.

Don't look at it as a financial "investment". As pointed out, you will probably not get all your money back. However, if the peace of mind is important to you I would continue to do more homework (search this forum) on the type of coverage and reputation of the provider and give it serious consideration.

Best of luck to you.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote