Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2016, 09:51 AM   #1

Extending rear bumper on travel trailer

2016 Creek Side 26rls.

I would like to extend the frame and rear bumper about 30" and build a cargo tray between the extended frame work so I can place a 130lb generator, 10 gals gas and a cargo box which will store about 150lbs.

Advice, suggestions, remarks positive or negative much appreciated. Photos appreciated.

Anyone have a storage box mounted up above their batteries?

Tow vehicle (short box) space taken up by ATV.

Watched some videos on youtube but would like some feedback from folks on here that are actually using these methods for extra storage.

Maybe some comments from ORV mfg folks? Can it be done at the plant in one day?

thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2016, 10:30 AM   #2

Do you know your existing total trailer and hitch weight, loaded for travel .

The weight you plan to add at the rear of the trailer , will reduce weight on the hitch , and if you reduce the hitch weight too much, there will be a real reduction in control and comfort when towing.
I know that 5th wheel trailers need over 15% of the trailer's total weight on the pin for best handling and believe 12%+ is best for TTs.
From personal experience , I know you don't want to be out on the highway without the correct weight on the hitch.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:15 PM   #3
ODH

I would recommend against adding that much weight and length to the rear of your TT. First as has been mentioned you will significantly lower your tongue weight which will cause stability problems while towing. Second, nothing bounces around more on your entire rig than the rear of your TT. This will not be good for the items stored on the extension and all that weight along with a 30 inch movement arm may very well over-stress your TT frame. Also having 10 gals of gasoline bouncing around on the back of your TT would not be a comforting though to me.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:00 AM   #4

agree, agree

Jim
Old 04-28-2016, 08:14 AM   #5

SKIP426 and ODH

Good stuff there guys. Thanks.

I could put the gas in the back of the truck. There would be room on the sides of the atv. I didn't really think about the gas sloshing around back there.

I seen on the net where there was a platform installed above the propane tanks. Maybe I could have a strong frame/platform put there and mount the generator up there. It weighs 130 lbs. Quite a lift to get it there but since it's only used for the TT I guess I could just leave it there covered and secured.

That leaves about 100 to 125 lbs. consisting of a small highbanker/dredge combo, 50' flat hose, 20' suction hose, some small digging tools and some stacked plastic 5 gal. buckets. Just a little bulky but not really that heavy totaled up.

What ya think about that? Wouldn't be too much of the stuff bouncing around if I have it all covered with a tarp and tied down really good.

I'm thinking the generator on the front would equalize the 150lbs weight total placed on the rear. Extra tongue weight shouldn't matter since I'm pulling with a 1 ton Dodge.

I did read on the net where a person found stress cracks on TT frame but he had his TT frame extended and had a 350lb motorcycle on the rear. That does seem to be a little much. Plus the weight of the material used to extend frame.

I followed a TT down a dirt road once for about 5 miles. Holy beegeezzz that thing bounced around hard and he was just poking along pretty slow. One reason I went with this unit was because of the suspension. Shocks on all tires.

I appreciate all the comments/advice. Must be a way to safely get my stuff loaded and balanced on and in my TT. Would like to have got a toy hauler but my wife just fell in love with this Creek Side. Ya know how that is.....
It'll all come out in the wash......
Old 04-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #6

To avoid problems with balance and frame of the trailer , why not a storage rack above the ATV in the back of the truck.

Chances are any racks that you attach to the trailer ; front or rear ; could effect your warranty.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:28 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Trade the trailer in on a toy hauler that will do what you need regarding cargo and weight carrying. You can put the ATV in there and have room to carry the things you want to put in the storage box in the truck where they will be more secure. You'll probably be much happier in the end.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:44 PM   #8

Do not assume that 150 lbs on the back is always a proper offeset for 150 lbs on the tongue. On my Baby rig, the ratio is almost 2 to 1 because the axle is almost twice as far from the tongue as the rear. In my case, a 150 lb. genny on the tongue almost perfectly balanced a 300 lb. motorcycle on the back. And, yes, the bike really gets thrown around over bumps, so I have to secure it very well.

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:21 AM   #9

Here is what I'm going to do for the generator:

Robot Check

I'll just keep it stored, covered and secured right there. Need to get an extension for the 25' power cord and a soft cover for the propane tanks.

Still need a lil storage space for hobby gear. Thinking along the lines of a full truck bed size box with sliding trays and put atv on top. Pretty sure I can build that myself. Brain storming and looking for ideas on the net.

thanks for all the input folks.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:53 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Not sure about your Creekside but mine comes with a receiver hitch socket on the rear, it is rated for 250 lbs. I found an aluminum carrier in the bargain cave at Cabela's for $67 that fits it perfectly. I think it only weighs about 35 lbs so you can comfortably fit 200 lbs on it and not go beyond factory specs. Might want to look at something like that for your setup. If you don't have the receiver socket on your trailer a good welder should be able to fab something up for you pretty easy. Might want to email ORV for some pictures of how they do it.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Not sure about your Creekside but mine comes with a receiver hitch socket on the rear, it is rated for 250 lbs. I found an aluminum carrier in the bargain cave at Cabela's for $67 that fits it perfectly. I think it only weighs about 35 lbs so you can comfortably fit 200 lbs on it and not go beyond factory specs. Might want to look at something like that for your setup. If you don't have the receiver socket on your trailer a good welder should be able to fab something up for you pretty easy. Might want to email ORV for some pictures of how they do it.
Sunofagun!! I got a receiver cargo carrier at the bargain cave also. Use it on my wife's RAV-4 when we're traveling. Mighty handy. Too wobbly for the back of the travel trailer.

Still messing with ideas to get a solid/strong rack on rear of TT. I'll contact ORV and see what they say.

Tags
travel, travel trailer