Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2015, 09:50 PM   #1

Extension cord size

I have a 50 amp service 40' away from the end of my full extended 25' 30 amp tt power cord. What is the safest way to span the 40' gap?
1. Can I use a dog bone adapter 50 amp Male/ 30 amp F at the recptical box then run 2 ea. 25' 30 amp extension cords?
2. Should I begin at the 50 amp receptical with 50 amp cordage to span the 40' gap, then marry up to the 30 amp tt cord with the dog bone adapter?
I know much depends upon the wire size in those cords. I'm not certain of the wire in those 30 amp black tt cords.
Any insight is certainly appreciated.
Thank you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2015, 10:06 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
50A cable is 6 gage, 30A is 10 gage. A 75 foot run of 10 gage is a bit of a run. You can measure the voltage at the tt to see if your in spec. If it's low, I would start with a 50A cable, then drop down to a 30A.

Rockwood27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:07 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like your basically storing the RV, so all you really need is to keep the batteries charged.

I would just purchase a 12GA (or 10Ga) 50ft extension cord. and use a adapter (or two of them) to convert to the proper plug.
Then I would also set my EMS to 20amp service.

This is plenty to charge the batteries and cool down the fridge.

Or do you need to run some appliances?

FYI: The 50 or 30 amp service rating is what that connection can provide.
If you only plug in a 100 watt bulb, you will only draw 1 amp from the 50 amp service. All is determined what you intend to draw.

Regards,

Dan
Old 09-05-2015, 11:02 PM   #4

Thank you both.
Dan, I will be storing it at this location and agree that min. Cord size will be adequate for low draw need. My volt meter plugged in to an outlet in the tt shows 120 volts. (2 x 25' 10/3 cords + the 25' txt line)
Fran, I do plan to store it at this distance, and I would occasionally like to use the a/c.
I think now i could consider a 50 amp cord out of the receptacle (1x 50' may be pricy, if I can even find it; or 2 x 25') with the dog bone then marrying it into the 30 amp tt line. So in truth the line run totals 75', not 65'. I'm not sure if I'm taxing the a/c with the last 25' being a smaller wire.
Local electrician quoted a buried line w/box and short post at $1200.
Just trying to decide if I have a lower cost, safe, option. Thank you both, again.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:42 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since you're reading 120V at the tt, you're fine. I wouldn't bother with the 50A extension cord ($150 for 50A vs $50 for 30A). You can even run your whole tt with your setup.
Rockwood27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:20 AM   #6
CCH

Heartland RV Club
Pickc - voltage won't drop until the load is applied and then it's motors that will care (light bulbs just dim) and since you're starting at 120v that gives more head room.

You can buy 10 ga. (or even heavier) portable cable by the foot at HD/Lowes and put the exact ends you want onto that to avoid adapters. For a few lights and one AC you should be more than good with 10 ga. - and for me the peace of mind from 10 over 12 would be worth the few additional bucks
Old 09-06-2015, 09:46 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pikc,

Copper is copper...by that I mean your pretty much paying by the pound when you buy it. Two cords will be close to the cost of a single cord.
Additional adapters are also a source of voltage drop and problems (plugs go bad).

If you looking to save $$, AND do it right, buy the wire yourself and dig the trench yourself. If you have to you can hire someone to make the connections.

You can rent a trencher or do it by hand.
I would use Electrical PVC conduit, but you can also buy direct burial cable.
The PVC just glues together. It is really pretty basic and not beyond your capabilities...especially with the advice available on this forum

Regards,
Dan
Old 09-06-2015, 10:13 AM   #8
CCH

Heartland RV Club
x2 ++
Old 09-06-2015, 03:28 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have the 50 amp cable I'd use as much of it as I could and not convert to 30 amp till you have to.. less voltage drop that way.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:10 PM   #10
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
OP you said “I would occasionally like to use the a/c.”. That alone says run 50amp cord until it meets your 30amp cord. I would still check an outlet while the A/C is running. It should be fine. As WA8YXM said. Once WA9NRR….
Old 09-15-2015, 08:39 AM   #11

If you were just storing the trailer, a cheap 16 AWG extension cord would do fine for charging, even at that distance. It is unlikely the charger will draw more than a few watts except when first plugging it in to get the batteries up (and even then, less than 10 A). There will be voltage drop issues if you plan to power any other loads, however. For a single 15 A outlet, you can ignore the voltage drop in your TT's cord. You don't want to go much below a 3% voltage drop. Use this calculator to figure out what the results will be. Estimate 0.5 A trickle charge current (probably less, really) and 7 A maximum charge current.

Voltage Drop Calculator

If you are running your a/c as well as charging the battery, estimate 25 A maximum charge current, or 16 A trickle charge. You will need a 12 AWG extension cord in this case, though I would suggest you use a proper 10 AWG cord with TT-30 plug/receptacle. Standard 5-15R connectors are for 15 A current usage, you could burn your extension cord's connectors up even if the cord is of a thick AWG. You probably won't find adapters for a 5-20R extension cord, which is actually specced for 20 A use.

Absolutely do not run your A/C on a 16 AWG cable, even for a minute; that will be a fire hazard.