Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #1

Exterior Kitchen Counters - water damage

We had our first camping trip involve a lot of rain. It was fine as we really had a chance to test the systems out and see if anything leaked in our New TT. Well a few lights leaked on the exterior and burned out. The door to the exterior kitchen also leaked and the counter top swelled up. I was a little surprised that it was made from MDF (particle board). I understand cost etc. but I figured that on an exterior kitchen with a sink, you wouldn't do that. I will be taking it in for replacement this weekend and was told they will only be able to replace it with the same top as OEM from the factory. Dealer suggested I call Keystone and see if I can convince them to send a plywood top. I called and they told me only the dealer can ask for things like that on my behalf, but she doubted they would do this. This seems a little dumb, expected but still dumb. If we spill water or have another leak, they will have to keep replacing this top.

My father and I are cabinet makers by trade, so I could easily whip up a proper top but the dealer was telling me they won't install it for me. I've never worked on an RV and since mine is new, I'm afraid to void any warranties etc.

Does anyone have suggestions for this situation? I hate to have them put more of the same back if it will likely fail again.

Joe

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Thats a lot of leaks for a new TT. I would let them do the work required and then do a rain test, saturating the TT looking for leaks. After a year the warranty is done and then go ahead and change what ever you want

Old 07-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #3

Just a little surprised that a cabinet maker doesn't realize that MDF and particle board are two entirely different materials.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:38 AM   #4

I know the difference, but others might not and they typically think of non-plywood construction in the generic sense as "particle board."

AWI standards of Custom grade require a countertop to have a plywood section at all sinks to avoid a situation like I have. I understand the RV industry doesn't follow these standards but common sense would be not to use anything but a plywood construction counter outdoors.

Medium Density Fiber board has its place in cabinet construction and particle board does too, but neither belong outside.

Thanks for the derail....now back to the original topic. :-)

Joe
Old 07-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
Have one of your counter-top friends make you one from Corian...
Old 07-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #6

That is exactly what I was thinking. Tomorrow I will see what I can work out with the dealer.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:24 AM   #7

The guy that owns the Line X (Spray in bed liner) shop that I had my truck sprayed at was telling me he had sprayed tables for boats etc. At the time I didnt think much about it but this would be a perfect solution as it is water proof and very very durable. I might just have take mine in to get coated!
Old 08-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #8

Let me know if you do. Neat idea. I just painted my hitch with that stuff. Might be a little rough for a counter?
Old 08-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #9

If you get a new MDF counter top ,put a couple of coats of spar varnish on it and once a year there after and it will last a long time. Hope this helps.

Joe
Old 08-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #10

I thought about the Varnish idea and will likely do it. It will at least help the underside of the top. The major failure was along the edgebanding. Tough spot to waterproof. Might try clear caulking at that joint?

The dealer called and said they are also replacing the entire door to that exterior kitchen compartment.

Joe
Old 08-30-2012, 07:41 AM   #11

We have the trailer back and all repairs were completed. Top looks fine and I will try to find a way to seal the edge banding so it will prevent water from seeping in.

Tags
water