Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2011, 10:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akibase View Post
My TT has EZ Lube Hubs and I was wondering if you might provide me with some information?

What has your experience been with this type of hub?
How often do you add grease?
Should this be done by the pro's
What grease do you recommend?

I would appreciate any information you can provide. I find that the information provided by the manufacturer in quite vague.

Thanks in advance for your help and information.
The Dexter website provides for the type of grease and a caution not to mix different types of grease. This can be an issue if you do not know if the bearings have been previously serviced or the type of grease used. In that case I would remove, clean and hand pack the bearings. In future trips if you add some extra grease thru the zerk fitting at least you are aware of the grease type and the last time the bearings were inspected. The EZ lube is really more for removing water from bearings from trailer immersion that is common with boat axles in deference to normal use involving TT's or FW's.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2011, 07:01 PM   #16

Now that there is a controversity over whether or not to use these zerk fittings because it will blow your seals and cause major brake & maginet damage, is it safe for me to ever use these fittings because I do have them on my travel trailer. I'm stumped!

Old 11-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by adilbahney View Post
Now that there is a controversity over whether or not to use these zerk fittings because it will blow your seals and cause major brake & maginet damage, is it safe for me to ever use these fittings because I do have them on my travel trailer. I'm stumped!
I would jack up the tire, pump the grease in very slowly and rotate the tire at the same time. Use little pressure on the zerk fitting with the grease gun.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:42 PM   #18

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtandem View Post
I would jack up the tire, pump the grease in very slowly and rotate the tire at the same time. Use little pressure on the zerk fitting with the grease gun.
Which is pretty much what the manufactuer tells you.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Which is pretty much what the manufactuer tells you.
The manufacturer tells you to pull the bearing at least once a year or at the 12,000 mile mark if you drive lots and repack. Nothing about adding grease thru the grease gun except between repacking. Not very consistent by Dexter, really.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:15 PM   #20
IC2

This is an E-Z Lube spindle - a 6000 pound axle. It is pretty big in comparison to the crummy Nevr-Lube's that it replaces. The seal rides on the first land step up, with the inner bearing (a very big one and about 2 -1/2 inches in diameter) just inside that land. You can also see the grease hole. The outer bearing is also fairly large. As far as grease transmitting heat - not gonna happen. There are just too many grease and oil filled bearings operating for this to be a consideration. Heat is transmitted by the iron brake drum and by friction action of the brake shoes contacting that drum. If you have more then minimal bearing heat - you have other problems like a failed bearing.

These are the bearings:

These bearings were Chinese made, the outers, very roughly made and with at least 1 or 2 fewer rollers then the same part number Timkins that replaced them. I also replaced one of the inners as well as it too had a rough roller. The other 3 were OK. All seals were replaced as well. These lipped seals are quite ridged. While it's possible for grease to be forced by, not likely to be easy

This is the ONLY way my brand new, zero miles, direct from Dexter Axle hub drum assembly would come apart. Those that say that they disassemble an E-Z Lube every year for check and clean - probably don't do it themselves or are..... nah, I wouldn't say that:

The Dexter Axle IB for these says to disassemble and inspect every 12,000 miles or 12 months
The bearing lube sheet - which I consider too conservative, but it is what it is:
http://l.b5z.net/i/u/6149609/f/Instr...59-831-00A.pdf

E-Z Lube product brochure with a good drawing of the design
http://l.b5z.net/i/u/6149609/f/produ...-Lube_7-11.pdf

Oh and some comparison - the Nevr-Lube:
Old 11-30-2011, 10:08 PM   #21
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtandem View Post
The manufacturer tells you to pull the bearing at least once a year or at the 12,000 mile mark if you drive lots and repack. Nothing about adding grease thru the grease gun except between repacking. Not very consistent by Dexter, really.
It may be a good thing to pull the wheel and check the bearings/brakes if one tows for many thousands of miles a year. But for the person who tows a lot less a year, it is not needed. The EZ-Lube grease fitting does the job for this situation perfectly. In my case, most of the towing miles were on highways with little braking. I had the wheels pulled, bearing and brakes inspected after 4 years. The results of the dealer inspection was that the brakes showed very little wear and both the bearings and brakes were in great shape with just greasing through the grease nipple a couple times a year.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:53 AM   #22

I intend to take mine apart this spring and clean, inspect and repack by hand with full synthetic grease. I did that with the old Cougar 5th wheel 3 times in about 70,000 miles (third time to replace brakes and seals) and used the zirk only occasionally if I found any temperature differential. I was lucky I guess that the drums came off without any great hassle. Don't know if the syn grease was really needed but the consistency seemed better in all temperatures so it was worth the extra cost for me.
Ian
Old 12-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groveite View Post
I was lucky I guess that the drums came off without any great hassle. Ian
The drums on my brand new trailer with Dexter EZ Lube hubs came off very easily! And yes, I did it myself, and without using any type of puller. They were on the 3500 lb Torflex axle, so perhaps that's why they were easy to remove?
Old 12-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #24

Gulf Streamers Club
looks like in the info posted by IC2, that the heavier gvw models require a puller.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #25

With all that has been said, How would I know if my 2010 coachman had "EZ Lube" hubs? I have a greese zerk on the end of the hub, but it does not look like the buddy bearing I put on my utility trailer. Thank you.. Jimm Zi/
Old 12-01-2011, 10:40 PM   #26
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire Wrat View Post
With all that has been said, How would I know if my 2010 coachman had "EZ Lube" hubs? I have a greese zerk on the end of the hub, but it does not look like the buddy bearing I put on my utility trailer. Thank you.. Jimm Zi/
You said it yourself.... The EZ-Lube hub is NOT the same as a Buddy Bearing. EZ-Lube hubs are put on RV axles, Buddy Bearings are put on a trailer axle that has no brakes installed and is likely to be submerged in water at some point. If you really doubt what you are seeing, look at the documentation that came with your trailer or call your friendly dealer.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Ray, did you even look at the PDF you linked? There is very little room in the EZ Lube hub between the bearings for excess grease. It is not the same as the Bearing Buddys which just have a zerk feeding a reservoir for the grease. The zerk in the EZ Lube is connected to a passage drilled into the axle stub that passes grease to the back of the inner bearing. The grease goes through the inner bearing, through the hub to the outer bearing. It then goes through the outer bearing and the excess goes out through openings around the zerk. If lubed properly (the wheel has to be rotated while pumping in the grease so all of the bearing receives grease), each bearing receives as much grease as it would if hand packed or packed using a bearing packer.

There needs to be grease in the empty spaces; otherwise the grease in the bearings will work its way out of the bearings into the empty spaces. The idea that grease retains heat instead of dissipating it is pure nonsense. Even if it did retain heat, I doubt it would even be noticeable. It would still be preferable to a bearing running low on lube because the grease ran out.
Yes, that is why I posted the link. I know how much void is in the hub, I've had mine off 4 times so far.(had them re-packed/inspected the other years) It is not as much as a standard axle hub though. Any pumped-in grease must fill the void before it can pass through the outside bearing.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:13 AM   #28

I don't use that feature on mine, I pull the drums and repack by hand.