Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2015, 02:53 PM   #1

Fading fiberglass cap

The front cap (charcoal grey) on or trailer is fading rapidly, any suggestions on how to restore it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2015, 06:03 PM   #2

Not to worry! This has happened to alot of us! However, the fix is actually a great upgrade. Mine was 14 months old and out of warranty.However I got the manufacturer o cough up som money, don't know how I did it, but I did. So here's the fix, go and find a reputable company who applies hot box liner and can color match. I got mine sanded/sprayed and epoxy color matched grey. And it has a Lifetime Warranty! Total cost, $750. No more worries about fading/ sratches/ rock damage/ nada. Best monry I ever spent! Even if I didn't need it I would doagain in a heartbeat!

Old 05-28-2015, 11:58 PM   #3

[QUOTE=rewindguy;2573807]Not to worry! This has happened to alot of us! However, the fix is actually a great upgrade. Mine was 14 months old and out of warranty.However I got the manufacturer o cough up som money, don't know how I did it, but I did. So here's the fix, go and find a reputable company who applies hot box liner and can color match. I got mine sanded/sprayed and epoxy color matched grey. And it has a Lifetime Warranty! Total cost, $750. No more worries about fading/ sratches/ rock damage/ nada. Best monry I ever spent! Even if I didn't need it I would doagain in a heartbeat![/QUOTe

I have the liners on both of my pick ups, a thinner version is on the lower front of the trailer. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:39 AM   #4

Meguires #50 RV/marine cleaner and wax.
May take two applications, but easy on/off.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:51 PM   #5

1010, can you give a brand name without violating forum rules? I have LineX in my truck bed and like it. That is who I will probably talk to if I decide to try this solution. My arms are getting tired from polishing on the front cap of my little Komfort!
Old 06-02-2015, 04:37 PM   #6

I would think that if the cap was waxed two or three times per season it would not fade. Not trying to add insult to injury and I do not have a newer trailer with the colored gelcoat or paint.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:15 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I've got the same problem on my Outback. What is a hot box liner?

2014 Keystone Outback Tavel Trailer
2012 Ram 1500
Retired Navy
Old 06-03-2015, 12:58 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
They spray the front cap at the factory with a white liner of some type. Contact ORV as see what they use. Maybe they can shoot it for you there.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
I would think that if the cap was waxed two or three times per season it would not fade.
Correct!
Just need to do it a couple times a year depending on storage and sun.
And if you can't do it physically, it should not be too much to have someone do it. $50 at most.

I would not over-coat my original finish with anything unless I had exhausted every avenue of recovering it without success.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:32 AM   #10

Unfortunately some of the earlier caps have no type of protective coating or UV protection. They do oxidize and fade rather rapidly. I've spent the last two days wet sanding and polishing my front cap,and it just barely looks presentable. The side walls still look great. I think paint or some kind of bed liner type coating will be necessary if we keep our tt much longer.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewindguy View Post
Not to worry! This has happened to alot of us! However, the fix is actually a great upgrade. Mine was 14 months old and out of warranty.However I got the manufacturer o cough up som money, don't know how I did it, but I did. So here's the fix, go and find a reputable company who applies hot box liner and can color match. I got mine sanded/sprayed and epoxy color matched grey. And it has a Lifetime Warranty! Total cost, $750. No more worries about fading/ sratches/ rock damage/ nada. Best monry I ever spent! Even if I didn't need it I would doagain in a heartbeat!
OK, I give. What is "hot box liner" and where would I start looking to find a place that does it?
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:10 AM   #12

I've got the same fading problem on my Northwood Fox Mountain. It's dark brown. Northwood was using a supplier that was providing bad caps for a few years and has now switched suppliers. I'm guessing that Outdoor RV, being a sister company to Northwood was getting the caps from the same supplier.

Northwood was telling owners to wax a couple times a year. Problem was that the gel coat is so bad that after just 5-6 weeks the oxidation would re-appear.

Painting is the only way to permanently solve the issue. I got a quote to get mine painted for $750.00. $100.00 to have the decals put on, but I pay for the decals. Not sure on the cost of decals.

Never heard of Hot Box, till now. Sounds like a good alternative to painting.

I see your TT is a 2014, doesn't the 1,2,3 year warranty cover it? 2 year structural fiberglass wall warranty.

Over on the afnash owners forum there's quite a few P'od owners with Fox Mountains and Arctic Fox trailers with fading caps. Northwood has refused to help in anyway. Ironically Northwood has dropped their bad cap supplier and at the same time has gone to a lighter colored front cap on the Arctic Fox, Fox Mountain and Snow River. Looks like a few other brands are returning to the lighter front caps as well.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:53 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Interesting, I was getting jealous of the new ORV gray trailers but I guess I'll stay content with my white cap and walls.

For those needing to revitalize the cap, have you tried looking into having new gel-coat shot on the cap? Likely no more expensive than bed liner etc... You could then coat it with UV protectant to keep it nice.